IGNORED

Avon's

halfwitt

I have about 6k on my second Avon rear and I am completely happy with the tread wear and handling in the rain. My issue is that this 6 month old tire is now developing small cracks around the bead that have me concerned. I'll keep an eye on this. I've had a lot of tire problems on my cage fleet and I'm a bit sensitive on this issue. Two of my small trucks and my minivan have experienced tread seperation on three different brand of tires. Wish I knew what's up with that.

Take the tire back immediately if this is happening..This is not normal and sure dont want to see anything happen to you! Tom

I have about 6k on my second Avon rear and I am completely happy with the tread wear and handling in the rain. My issue is that this 6 month old tire is now developing small cracks around the bead that have me concerned. I'll keep an eye on this. I've had a lot of tire problems on my cage fleet and I'm a bit sensitive on this issue. Two of my small trucks and my minivan have experienced tread seperation on three different brand of tires. Wish I knew what's up with that.

Nope..nope..nope..... Call Avon and get it waranteed.

KEITHAVON TIRE warantee1-800-624-7470

I had the same issue with the front tire on the '83. Started checking right from the git-go. Avon replaced it and a few months later it started checking... although not nearly as bad.... Turns out they were made about the same time. Anyway Avon waranteed the second and I guess three times a charm as I've put about 5K miles on the third and not a sign of checking in over a year... I might also add that if weight has anything to do with tire wear I don't see it. 5K and the tire still looks fresh... and I'm 350#...and on a diet...

I also picked up the set of Avon's from Southwestmoto, and since the rear Elite II on the rear still had plenty of tread left I just put the one on the front. Very pleased with the handling improvement over the II. It's been a couple of years now and the rear still has some miles left in it...and the rear Avon sits.

On the handling, at one time I had two identical 83VR's... see 'double trouble'...one with the Avon and one with the II on the front, so had the opportunity to ride both within the same time frame. The Avon bike had a quicker and lighter response than the II bike. You could actually feel a big difference. Not many have the opportunity to compare like that.

Just yesterday riding back to the home after a morning ride I almost missed a sweeper exit and did something very stupid. I should have kept going and made a U-turn, but at the last second I dove into the curve and had the front tire well into the chicken strip. Luckly the front tire stuck like glue and I made it.... but not by much.. This is second time that Avon has saved my dumb a$$. Great tire!!

PJ we all know what your saying is true and all the variances that affect tire wear ... but that's not the issue here now... Goose doesn't like the way I post my opinion... I really don't see how it's any different from some of the PRO Avon posts in this thread... except it's contrary..

And if there is anyone out here not impressed with Avons like myself they're not going to post it now... Not after MAINEAC the nay sayer get's taken to task by a Moderator in the middle of a thread.... That's what I'm talking about...

Maineac, you seem to have a very wrong understanding about my response to you. I am very sorry that I wasn't able to make myself clear - obviously my fault - but I'll try one more time.

I do NOT have any problem with your contrary opinion - in fact, it is needed and I welcome it. You will see in my original reply that I tried to acknowledge that it was both valid AND provided value. I also specifically stated that I was NOT trying to ask you not to say it. I don't doubt you got poor mileage from your tire - If I did, I would be unhappy too, and I'd say it; no reason you should not say it too. Your mileage was a statement of fact that no one can dispute, and I have no problem at all with that.

I guess the real problem I had was your flat statement that "they act like they're on ice" with no acknowledgment that MANY other members have replied to you in numerous threads that they have found exactly the opposite with Venom's in wet conditions. That is the kind of "fact" that can mislead someone who hasn't seen all of those other discussions. I doubt if I would have had any urge to respond at all if you had simply said something like "I thought they act like they're on ice," or "Others here seem to think they handle well in the wet, but I do not." Then again, maybe I'm just too danged sensitive and read too much into a flat literal statement.

I do think it is very good that you share the fact that you found them slippery in the wet conditions. For a prospective buyer to know that the opinions are not 100% positive is very good. It's just that, personally, I also think that when we share those types of opinions, either good OR bad about a product, that we do owe it to the other members to acknowledge if we are aware of a significant difference in our own stated opinion. Not that we need to state the other side - let the reader go do the research and find those statements themselves if they want, but by acknowledging they exist, we give them the ability to decide on their own. Anyway - sorry for the long-winded reply, and I am sorry that I ruffled your feathers. That was not my intent. Ride safe,

Goose

If you had a problem with "they act like they're on ice" say it...Instead of 3 paragraphs that I thought were written to invalidate my opinion because I'm in the minority... I'm a straight shooter and apreciate that quality in others... You've seen my other posts on this and I think I've prefaced them a time a two with "I'm in the minority here"... As far as hearing both sides... lots have chimed in with how great they are...Which I knew would happen... How did that turn into my job if I think otherwise? Maybe I feel I have to use stronger language because I am the minority with this opinion..

Yeah strong words.. The guy already bought the tires... he's gonna use them... If they are like my Avons he's gonna need to treat them like he's on ice... Cuz that's what mine felt like to me... I don't scare easy but my Avons on wet roads are scary... I wouldn't use my back brake unless I had to cuz it would lock up way too easy.

For the record ther's more than just me and a couple of other guys that aren't in love with Avons... I'm on several forums and have voiced my opinion and people are starting to come out with the same opinion... Your post didn't help that cause along any here tho...

halfwitt, I am going to buy the Avon's also when I need tires have 7500 miles on stock right now and still holding up OK but everyone makes the Avon's sound good let me Know what you think of them. I hope they hold up better then our Cubs are right now.

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

Just by coincidence I checked my Avon rear tire earlier tonight. It has 10000 miles on it. Ihave gotten anywhere from 6000 to 15000 miles from d404s depending on my riding style at the time. Right now I haven't been pushing or babying the tires. It is wore out and I will be replacing it this weekend. I am just posting so somebody thinking about buying will have one more experience to go by.

I hope they hold up better then our Cubs are right now.

They're still in first by a game, still best record in NL, Soriano is back and they're back to the friendly confines. But it's the Cubs - can't get too optimistic! I'll let you know how the Avons perform.

I bought the hype and 7500 miles later the rear's pooched and there ain't much left in the front... Hope you have better luck than me... And be careful on wet roads... they act like they're on ice.

What are you talking about. I have riding avons in hamering rain for 10 hours, and they stick like glue on wet road. Only time I feel like skiding on wet road was when i have nail in tire, and didn't notice air presure was wayyy tooo low.

Avon tires is best improvment I ever have on my venture, But once again That's just me.

What are you talking about. I have riding avons in hamering rain for 10 hours, and they stick like glue on wet road. Only time I feel like skiding on wet road was when i have nail in tire, and didn't notice air presure was wayyy tooo low.

Avon tires is best improvment I ever have on my venture, But once again That's just me.

I ran 45 lbs of air and during my routine checks of the tires it never went below 42 lbs.. I'm glad they're working out for you.. I won't be buying them again.

\

When I bought my 99 it had brand new D404s on it. I got a little over 10, 000 miles out of the set. So when I replaced them with new 404s at 3000 the rear was toast. So I replace it with another and at 3200 it was also toast. I then found out that dunlop had went to a softer rubber compound for the 404. So went with a elite III . Now that tire wore very well I got just under 14000. Rode in the rain alot and never had a problem with it. Its being replace with a avon tomorrow not because of all the Hype but because I got a great deal. what I saved over the price of a new elite III will more than cover the mounting and balancing cost. Will report back after I have put on a few miles.

\

John

I just replaced my 404's with Avons. I was only getting 7500-8k outa the rear 404's. So far, I really like the Venoms, haven't had REALLY bad weather yet, but have ridden in the rain. Only thing I noticed is that if felt as if I was riding on a ridge, and fell off to the left or right as I banked? Lost this feeling when I was two up? Might try tire pressure? But otherwise, so far the Avons feel much better that 404's. Won't comment on noise as that is not something I pay attention too.

I read this forum daily and appreciate ALL opinions, good or bad, and it just might help someone who is experiencing the same thing realize their particular issues?

I consider this forum the best and really do apreciate all the advise/feedback/info that I get. I'm sure some too have grown tired of SOME of my previous rants about factories, (Especially HD) LOL