IGNORED

Full face helment intercom

jkt69

Do you have to modify the helmet, or wear an ear piece for these things to work? I guess what I am curious about is regarding how it works> do they attach to the helmet -ear piece and mic or do you wear it and the helmet fits over it?

I got two of these IMC-HS-G15-FIVE PIN FULL FACE HEADSET for $65.00 each at http://sierra-mc.com and they sound perty good. The speakers are thin and the mic collapses (big foam ball) very well. I needed something small for my Shoei RF-900 and it went in nice.

The mic has a velcro setup as well as the speakers (also has a velcro setup) that are sticky enough to remove, if needed. The speakers are in a sleeve as well.

I did get one set where the lower did not allow the mike to work and one speaker had a bad connection. Sierra sent a new one out to me in a hurry with a return sticker. They were nice to me and will use them again if I need something from them.

Do you have to modify the helmet, or wear an ear piece for these things to work? I guess what I am curious about is regarding how it works> do they attach to the helmet -ear piece and mic or do you wear it and the helmet fits over it?

They mount right into the helmet. Depending on the helmet brand, you may need to cut out a little of the foam around the ear. Most helmets have the cutout available already.

If you are unsure, take your helmet to your local dealer. A good one will install the headset for you. Of course, you will likely pay a little more at the dealer than buying it on line. However, you will have a person to go to if anything goes wrong.

RR

I've got a J&M full face from sierra for $59. It works well, however the mic needs a rather deep hole in the foam inside the chin bar. A bit deeper than my foam actually is, so it protrudes just a hair.

I had to cut holes for the speakers and mic. The thing is, the thinner they make the speakers the harder it is for them to sound good, so there's a tradeoff. The J&M aren't as small as my old Chatterbox stuff, but they are WAY better. When you do the install, make sure the speakers and mic are AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to your ears and lips without pressing on them. It makes a big difference in performance. I actually went back in afterward to shim all three closer to my head. Your lips should just rub the mic foam, so mine sticks 3/8" out of my chin bar to accomplish this.

Jeremy

Jeremy

I had to cut holes for the speakers and mic. The thing is, the thinner they make the speakers the harder it is for them to sound good, so there's a tradeoff. The J&M aren't as small as my old Chatterbox stuff, but they are WAY better. When you do the install, make sure the speakers and mic are AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to your ears and lips without pressing on them. It makes a big difference in performance. I actually went back in afterward to shim all three closer to my head. Your lips should just rub the mic foam, so mine sticks 3/8" out of my chin bar to accomplish this.

Jeremy

Jeremy

I put mine off to the side (per the instructions). It almost brushes the corner of my mouth. People tell me it works well.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the everyone's help. I ordered this item today IMC-HS-G35U-FIVE PIN OPEN OR FLIP FRONT HELMET HEADSET from http://sierra-mc.com

I hope it is easy to install.

Keith

Headsets came in this weekend. Took about 20 minutes to install, works great. Almost like it is a part of the helmet and not an accessory add on. Speakers work well, the mic works well too. It is NOT for listening to music loudly, but you can hear it played fine. The coolest part is riding in a group talking to the other bikes. :mo money: