IGNORED

Plug replacement 1984

Seems like i can't find the right socket to fit my plugs in my socket set and I don't have the original tool kit.

Will a standard deep 18mm socket work?

The manual says either NGK DPR8EA-9 or ND x24EPR-UP

Can someone assist.

Thanks,

Jim

Yes, you need a deep well thin walled 18mm socket to do the plugs, and a universal joint and a 6" extension as well to make the job easy. I just bought an 18mm cheap plug socket as well as the u joint and extension from Auto Zone to carry in the scoot and it works well. It was their cheaper "Great Neck" line. I usually use my deep well 6 point Craftsman socket but the Great Neck is an actual spark plug socket with the rubber insert.

Use the NGK plugs and you will be OK. Not to say some other brand wil work, but stay away from the multi electrode plugs asa on motorcycles they have been known to blow holes in the piston head. You can get the NGK's from Auto Zone or most auto supply places.

I'm only getting 30 mpg and that's after using an entire can of seafoam. My next step is to change the plugs and possibly the wires.

How much plastic needs removed to change the plugs and/or wires?

And is it something a novice like me can do?

Well this novice did his own change over. I took off the false tank cover, side covers and front lowers. Carefully watch and place each screw you remove into its own area so you know where they belong later!

If you have big mitts then it can be tight getting the wires in. I did one at a time so I wouldnt mess them up.

It took me...and I am a dummy..about two hours to do it....some new curse words helped and a couple of beer.

Made a huge differance in performance. Dont just do the wires.....replace the caps as well.

The stuff is old.

It may improve mileage but there are other things that affect that as well. Like diaphrams being a biggy.

I would replace plugs, wires and caps. You will need to get some nonresistant wire as the NGK caps have the resistance built into them. You can either order a set off of Ebay or contact Rick at http://www.buckeyeperformance.com/index.html as he sells the wires and caps also. Dennis Kirk also sells the wires and caps mail order.

I replaced my wires and caps a while back and found that it improve my low end performance more then my gas mileage but it sure makes it run smoother.

Good luck and you should be able to do this easily..

Rick F.

I'm only getting 30 mpg and that's after using an entire can of seafoam. My next step is to change the plugs and possibly the wires.

How much plastic needs removed to change the plugs and/or wires?

And is it something a novice like me can do?

Replacing plugs is a good start but getting only 30mpg says its more than plugs..Your gas mileage should be up around 40mpg..Out of curiousity.... did you check your air filter?

Replacing plugs is a good start but getting only 30mpg says its more than plugs..Your gas mileage should be up around 40mpg..Out of curiousity.... did you check your air filter?

Haven't really checked anything yet. And now for a stupid question, the air filter is in the box next to the battery right?

I told you I was a novice...

Haven't really checked anything yet. And now for a stupid question, the air filter is in the box next to the battery right?

I told you I was a novice...

Yes, and 4 screws hold the top cover in place..take off that cover and pull the air filter out and check it....

Also, we try to help each other so don't feel that any question you ask is a stupid question.....it takes a while to learn where things are at...