IGNORED

Trip to California

fixit3546

Let me try this again.........

I haven't been on in a while. my wife is in Minesota with her mother who has had a recent surgery. She will be home in august.

Jake has moved to Camp Pendleton (Oceanside Ca.) With the Marines. He and His wife are Back together (long story) and she has moved out there with him.

I have been assisting our Youth leader at church with some things they are doing and i have recently surrendered to the ministry Myself. now i am taking some distance learning toward an associated degree in theology. (slidell baptist theological seminary)

I have two young boys at home with me while their mother is away. and i am still working.

there just hasent been much time for me to hang out here.

Now, We are leaving tuesday evening or wednesday morning with a 26' U-Haul truck and a trailer. We will drive straight through to Oceanside Ca. Spend a day there probably, unload the bikes and two of us will be riding back this way some time between thursday or friday.

Anyone along the route that might be able to assist if we have trouble? that would be great. We wouldnt mind shaking a hand or two along the way if anyone wants to. I'll probably be taking the laptop with us so i'll be checking in.

Our plan is to get home in three days (600 mi. a day) and be back to work Monday.

The other rider is a neighbor who is going to help us with the driving and he wants to do the ride back since he has never been out that way. neither have i by the way.

I not sure but i think our route will take us along I-10 and I-20 most of the way.

Now if i can just find time to check a few things out on the bike and mount a new tire tomorrow.......................

I think it will be 20 to the 10 to the 8 . In a uhaul its going to be a 32 to 36 hour trip at best. They don't go uphill real fast. If you leave Wed morning you may be there Thurs night. Driving straight thru is tough in a uhaul. They ain't known for their comfort. You will probably hit traffic in one of the citys. Good luck.

Make a copy of the VR assistance page and take it with you, if you run into problems just call. Have fun and dont try to kill yourself, I have done insane runs to California in a car. If you need thet extra day, take it.

Try doing most of your riding back during the very early morning. Get on the road at 2-3AM, and get most of your milage in before noon. It gets hot along I-10 thru AZ, NM, TX. Mostly desert. Drink lots of water and stay hydrated. Go south out of Oceanside and take I-8 out of San Diego toward Tucson. It'll join in with I-10 out in Casa Grande AZ. You can get on I-20 past El Paso and head for the barn.....

Edited by Condor

When I bought my bike in Fresno, CA, I took I-40 all the way back to Memphis then south to Montgomery, AL. Made it in four days, near 2100 miles. I wish now I had taken my time and enjoyed the trip more by making some senic stops, ie, Grand CAnyon only 50 miles north off my path, etc. If you have the time, enjoy the trip.

Let me know when you get here and I will meet up with you. I you like I can show/take you to good scenic roads that will get you out of town with out slabing it all the way. Rod

Let me know when you get here and I will meet up with you. I you like I can show/take you to good scenic roads that will get you out of town with out slabing it all the way. Rod

Rod

I guess i owe you an appology. I didn't get to visit while I was there.

We had such a rush trip with all the things we had to do while we were there that i didn't get to do anything i wanted to.

But; I'll tell you this, There is some beautiful country side there.

on the way out we went back on 78. Awesome ride.

We took a wild hair and decided to go even further off the beaten path and picked up The S2 and went south to 8. instead of going out to 86 (?) and then south.

The S2 turned into some real desert land before we got off of it. All we saw of other human life was a boarder Patrol site near the end. there was someone there.

I made the mistake of pulling the bike off the side of the road at one point. Dumped the bike in the sand. didn't do that anymore.

We ran into the remnants of the hurricane in new mexico and texas. rode in the rain for about 150 miles before we decided to cut our losses and get a room.

then we got gas somewhere that our carbs didnt like so they started flooding, both bikes.

And my starter clutch started acting up.

But it was a great trip.

Glad you had a good trip overall. That is the route I had in mind. Hwy 2 is one of our favorite road for our full moon rides, nothing like riding with a full moon accross the desert. Hwy 78 is a great road thru the montians we ride it alot. Take care. Rod