IGNORED

I've been Accessorizing

I've added a few accesories to my '06 RSTD.

(Disregard picture date stamps)

The first picture is Baron Sub Sonic Tach. I did not have to lengthen any wires to install.

Second picture shows the Kuryakyn LED voltage meter. Following the advise of past posts here, I ran a dedicated (#16) wire from my relay contact to the meter. I wired the coil of the relay to the RSTD supplied accessory wiring lead (under seat), so the relay is made when the ignition switch is in "ACC" position. Meter shows one green light with the engine off and two green lights with the engine on - passing lamps on or off.

Third picture is a Garmin Zumo and a clutch side switch from www.BigBikeParts.com . The switch came with three toggle switches. I removed the center one, enlarged the hole and added a www.Powerlet.net socket. Powerlet also supplied the plug to the Zumo. The Dealer had installed the Passing Lamps as part of my negotiations. I removed their crappy wiring and useless lamp mounted toggle switch. Rewired to the 1st toggle switch of clutch side switch (2nd toggle for "Future"). Power for this switch is from the same relay as volt meter with a dedicated #14 wire feed. Now my headlight and passing lamps are on different fuses.

Forth picture shows Garmin Zumo and Clearview windshield. The red button on the Garmin mount is to toggle the Tach's LED light colors.

Fifth picture is a Powerlet socket mounted to the plastic cover. It is wired in parallel with the clutch side switch off of the relay.

Sixth picture is the Garmin mount removed.

Seventh picture is of two Powerlet sockets mounted on left side in front of saddle bag. These are wired direct (fused) to the battery. Plug the Battery Tender Jr. in here with Powerlet supplied adapter. If I ever get any heated riding gear, I've got a plug.

Last picture is under the seat showing Powerlet fuses and added relay.

I like these Powerlet (BMW style) plugs. They are smaller than a cigarette plug and carry more current. I think they will become the standard for motorcycles. In the mean time, I have a Powerlet to cigarette plug adapter.

Looks great Leland!!!!

You did a great job adding all those items! :thumbsup2:

I liked the idea of the power outlets aft of the left hand side cover for future heated clothes and such..

Im not sure what you mean though, cuse you mentioned they are smaller and my be the way to go on motorcycles. Are accessories readily available for this smaller size, or is the smaller size accessories (plug in's) hard to come by??

Looks great Leland!!!!

You did a great job adding all those items! :thumbsup2:

I liked the idea of the power outlets aft of the left hand side cover for future heated clothes and such..

Im not sure what you mean though, cuse you mentioned they are smaller and my be the way to go on motorcycles. Are accessories readily available for this smaller size, or is the smaller size accessories (plug in's) hard to come by??

Eck,

If you go to www.powerlet.net , you will see all of their products and a description of the Powerlet (BMW) style plug. Now being used by Triumph and Ducati also. Like Powerlet saids, the cigarette lighter plug was never meant to be a current carrying device. These are.

Thanks for your kind comments, Leland

Sweet job with installing those accessories for your RSTD. :thumbsup2: Thought I would send a little info your way since you are using a cigarette lighter plug to power your GPS.

Check out this link

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_batteries.html

TFD69, Thanks for the input, but like I said, I used a Powerlet plug, not a cigarette lighter plug. As stated before, the Powerlet (BMW style) plug was designed to be a current carrying device.

Best regards, Leland

Guest TFD69
TFD69, Thanks for the input, but like I said, I used a Powerlet plug, not a cigarette lighter plug. As stated before, the Powerlet (BMW style) plug was designed to be a current carrying device.

Best regards, Leland

It's not the current carrying device that is the concern. It is the spring loaded fuse in the Zumo power adapter and the connection it self that vibrate loose and cause power interruptions to the GPS causing it to shut down. Because of the vibrations found on normal motorcycle riding (and yes the Venture is smoother than most) it is recommended that your power supply be hard wired. The Zumo with its flash drive will probable just shut down unexpectedly and then reboot but on less stoic GPS units you can actually crash the drive and even damage it with power fluctuations caused by low level vibrations. Most notable examples of this is our own members experiencing crashes with IPODS they have mounted on their Ventures. Let me say again, its not the amount or ability to carry current that being discussed, but that the Car cigarette lighter adapter that comes with the Zumo is susceptible to vibration and that you might want to use the hard wired option that is supplied with your unit instead.

You did such a fantastic job with your mods that hard wiring the Zumo should be pretty easy to do.

A GPS, the Zumo in particular is one of the best modifications I feel you can make for these bikes.

Sorry, I will get off the soap box now...........:whistling:

• 2 years later...

Hey LeLand, 1st off, EXCELLENT JOB on the accessories. I noticed on your great picture that you had a vent on your wind shield. What part is that, where did you get it from, and lastly, is that still the stock windshield?

Thanks

Joe

:think:

Joe, Sorry about the delay, just saw this.

The windshield in that picture is a Clearview www.clearviewshields.com/ . Stock height with vent and "recurve". I'm 5'8" and that shield was just too tall. Plus, I couldn't stand the recurve. With the shield being too tall for me, looking through the recurve caused a distorted view. Actually gave me a headache. I ended up cutting off 4½" off of the bottom of the shield (basically cut it off just above the vent) and this was better. I ended up buying a new Clearview 3" shorter than stock with NO recurve and no vent (with light gray tint). I am now a happy camper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Seventh picture is of two Powerlet sockets mounted on left side in front of saddle bag. These are wired direct (fused) to the battery. Plug the Battery Tender Jr. in here with Powerlet supplied adapter. If I ever get any heated riding gear, I've got a plug.

I like these Powerlets too, and as I contemplate camping I reckon I'll need to inflate air mattresses and what-not. A Powerlet on the low side where you placed it would seem ideal. I have a couple questions....

Which outlet did you get? The low profile? With the 24" lead?

I note that you mounted it with the hinge down. Was that a conscious decision, and why?

My two most commonly drained battery powered items are my phone and now the wireless headset. The phone uses a mini USB, and the headset uses a micro usb. In general, if I can get the flat female USB connector, I can use my existing charging cords. Have you found a source for that? The USB Powerlet cords that Mr. Google points to go all the way to the mini- or micro- end.

Any observations you can make now, that you've had the system for a while?

Dave

Dave,

To answer your questions.

#1: Yes the low profile with the 24" leads is what I used.

#2: I mounted with the hinge side down because I feel that it is easier to see the hole without the cover in the way.

#3: Powerlet offers Powerlet to Cigarette Socket adapters. With these, you can just use your standard chargers.

#4: Have used these since the install to power my Garmin Zumo GPS and the Battery Tender and have had no problems.

Leland

I like these Powerlets too, and as I contemplate camping I reckon I'll need to inflate air mattresses and what-not. A Powerlet on the low side where you placed it would seem ideal. I have a couple questions....

Which outlet did you get? The low profile? With the 24" lead?

I note that you mounted it with the hinge down. Was that a conscious decision, and why?

My two most commonly drained battery powered items are my phone and now the wireless headset. The phone uses a mini USB, and the headset uses a micro usb. In general, if I can get the flat female USB connector, I can use my existing charging cords. Have you found a source for that? The USB Powerlet cords that Mr. Google points to go all the way to the mini- or micro- end.

Any observations you can make now, that you've had the system for a while?

Dave

I have the same issue in my car with charging my phone and wireless speakerphone. I bought a cigarette lighter charger that has a usb port built in. now I can charge both at the same time. I got mine from at&t since that's my cell carrier. Works great.

Dave,

To answer your questions.

#1: Yes the low profile with the 24" leads is what I used.

#2: I mounted with the hinge side down because I feel that it is easier to see the hole without the cover in the way.

#3: Powerlet offers Powerlet to Cigarette Socket adapters. With these, you can just use your standard chargers.

#4: Have used these since the install to power my Garmin Zumo GPS and the Battery Tender and have had no problems.

Leland

Thanks for your answers! :thumbsup:

Dave

I have the same issue in my car with charging my phone and wireless speakerphone. I bought a cigarette lighter charger that has a usb port built in. now I can charge both at the same time. I got mine from at&t since that's my cell carrier. Works great.

Thanks!

Dave

lOOKS GREAAT, lELAND. WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO PUT THE CB UNIT NOW? :rotf::whistling:

This works for me! When you've arrived at your destination, just replace your CB with a cold one. Took a lot of engineering to work this out and I really needed a cold one after solving this problem!

:smile5: