• 1 year later...

i have done the marshal mode its in the tech section. i replaced both antennas with the fireflys, also did away with the fold over mounts ( have solid mounts ) but there is a fold over mount avabile.

don c.

http://www.bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm scroll down the page a little and theres a picture of a fold over mount.

Edited by gunboat

i have done the marshal mode its in the tech section. i replaced both antennas with the fireflys, also did away with the fold over mounts ( have solid mounts ) but there is a fold over mount avabile.

don c.

http://www.bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm scroll down the page a little and theres a picture of a fold over mount.

I did this same thing. I used the fold over mounts as well. FM and CB work just GREAT! I went to my local CB shop and they tuned the antennae for the CB.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christo/sets/72157617011298781/

HTH

Any "gotcha's" that you ran into?

Joe

Nope - just make sure that when you cut the wire for the existing antenna you cut as close as you can to old hardware, so you have enough cable for the new ends (common sense really). Also do a very clean and tight job of wrapping where the new cable ends and antenna meet with elec. tape.

If I did this mod with no issues - ANYONE can do it! ;-) :rotf:

I think this is the Firestik AM/FM that I used. They make it in a 3 ft. and a 4 ft. version.

http://www.westcoastmall.net/amfm3b-amfm-antenna-p-212.html

How easy of a change over is it to do? much fiddling and buckshee or a straight up unscrew and screw on?

strangely enough my ZUNE has better reception sitting on the tank than the bike's radio antennas do.. go figure..

Any major differences between a 3 and 4 foot antenna?

thanks in advance..

(surprised at the price)

I went to our Flying J Truck stop and bought (2) 3' CB antennas and connectors. I cut the coaxial cables (both sides) Installed both and everything works great and looks alot better. Easy 30 minute fix. Spent $50.00

As simple as that?!?! c'mon.. what's the catch? can't be THAT easy.. ?

I went to our Flying J Truck stop and bought (2) 3' CB antennas and connectors. I cut the coaxial cables (both sides) Installed both and everything works great and looks alot better. Easy 30 minute fix. Spent $50.00

Can you tell me what brand you bought? When you say you cut the coaxial cables and installed both, I'm assuming you had to install connectors of some sort?

I just followed the bluedolphin link and bought the recommended parts. I also have the fold over antennas. I already had everything mounted but nothing actually connected together as far as the wires.

As Bummer will tell you, make sure you note the order of the parts that you took off it does matter which side the rubber piece is on.

Bummer was a great help in getting it all put together and getting the cb SWR adjusted.

I just followed the bluedolphin link and bought the recommended parts. I also have the fold over antennas. I already had everything mounted but nothing actually connected together as far as the wires.

As Bummer will tell you, make sure you note the order of the parts that you took off it does matter which side the rubber piece is on.

Bummer was a great help in getting it all put together and getting the cb SWR adjusted.

Following this thread as I'd like to change out my skinny antennas and go for 'black' antennas that hopefully will not only look better (all black bike) but also give better range and reception.. The parts list provided, would all this also apply for the CD and the am/fm antenna setup? I'm all a little new to this but those type of antennas are what I'd like to have on mine and hopefully folded down when need be.. am I on the right track?

Cheers

Honestly not sure if you will get better reception or range w/ these. I was already thinking about doing the mod and when I lost my cb antenna was motivation enough to go ahead and do it.

Will again have to refer to Bummer on this since he did all the connections and he can give you tips on higher quality connectors to look for too. I just had everything mounted in place for him to connect it all together. Again take note of the order of the parts in regards to how they are mounted on the bike now as it does make a difference.

There was also reference to getting an am/fm and a cb antenna which is what I did instead of buying 2 of the same antennas

Overall, just print out the info. from the Blue Dolphin site. It was pretty straight forward from what I remember.

The 1st 3 are really the only parts you need from what I remember. You just need the other 2 if you want to replace your old cables

2 FL3B Firestik "Firefly" Antenna

2 203EZ - Fold Over Adapter Item: 203EZ

2 Stud Mount - #JBC930- Oversize

1 18" 18SMMPL Pre-made Coax Cable (CB)

1 128XMOTO29 RG-8X 12' Pre-made Coax Cable (AM/FM)

You can also e-mail Marshall the site owner. He was great in answering questions. And of course on this board. Love this site. Very knowledgable people.

Found some old e-mails. This is what I bought from Walcottcb.com

JBC930 (2) Stud Mount - JBC930 - Oversize

18SMMPL (1) 18SMMPL - PL259 To Motorola Plug 18" Long (I don't remember using the cable but maybe I did. I will have to look through my spare parts box to see if I still have it)

203EZ (2) Antenna Fold Over Adapter - 203EZ

Total cost from here was $72.00

An AM/FM antenna used to be made by Firestik instead of the Firefly. I know Marshall did tell me he would recommend that for AM/FM over the Firefly. He said on his '89 it increased the range by 20 miles. Only ting I didn't see what how tall antenna he had. The part # is AMFM3B antenna.

From WestCoastMall.net. I e-mailed them 1st to make sure they had it in stock and at least at the time they did.

1 x FL3-B 3-Foot FireFly Antenna Tuneable Tip BLACK (FL3-B)

1 x AMFM3-B AM-FM Antenna (AMFM3-B)

Total from here $38.00

Honestly not sure if you will get better reception or range w/ these. I was already thinking about doing the mod and when I lost my cb antenna was motivation enough to go ahead and do it.

Will again have to refer to Bummer on this since he did all the connections and he can give you tips on higher quality connectors to look for too. I just had everything mounted in place for him to connect it all together. Again take note of the order of the parts in regards to how they are mounted on the bike now as it does make a difference.

There was also reference to getting an am/fm and a cb antenna which is what I did instead of buying 2 of the same antennas

Overall, just print out the info. from the Blue Dolphin site. It was pretty straight forward from what I remember.

The 1st 3 are really the only parts you need from what I remember. You just need the other 2 if you want to replace your old cables

2 FL3B Firestik "Firefly" Antenna

2 203EZ - Fold Over Adapter Item: 203EZ

2 Stud Mount - #JBC930- Oversize

1 18" 18SMMPL Pre-made Coax Cable (CB)

1 128XMOTO29 RG-8X 12' Pre-made Coax Cable (AM/FM)

You can also e-mail Marshall the site owner. He was great in answering questions. And of course on this board. Love this site. Very knowledgable people.

Found some old e-mails. This is what I bought from Walcottcb.com

JBC930 (2) Stud Mount - JBC930 - Oversize

18SMMPL (1) 18SMMPL - PL259 To Motorola Plug 18" Long (I don't remember using the cable but maybe I did. I will have to look through my spare parts box to see if I still have it)

203EZ (2) Antenna Fold Over Adapter - 203EZ

Total cost from here was $72.00

An AM/FM antenna used to be made by Firestik instead of the Firefly. I know Marshall did tell me he would recommend that for AM/FM over the Firefly. He said on his '89 it increased the range by 20 miles. Only ting I didn't see what how tall antenna he had. The part # is AMFM3B antenna.

From WestCoastMall.net. I e-mailed them 1st to make sure they had it in stock and at least at the time they did.

1 x FL3-B 3-Foot FireFly Antenna Tuneable Tip BLACK (FL3-B)

1 x AMFM3-B AM-FM Antenna (AMFM3-B)

Total from here $38.00

Thanks M8.. I was just looking at their site and wasn't too sure what all was needed.. I think that my main purpose of wanting to go ahead and changing them is to go for the all black in colour more than anything else, really. So it's the same antenna for both CB and AM/FM radio.. I didn't realize that.. huh tres cool.

the antenna you listed is the 3 footer..

Thanks for the heads up..

That's correct. You can either buy 2 Firefly's or 1 Firefly and one AM/FM

Good luck, post pics when you are done. Don't forget to have your CB SWR adjusted once it is all installed.

And if I remember right, to do it correctly you will need at least a 25' circumference w/out any metal (like buildings, cars, etc...) around. It can interfere w/ the readings.

That's correct. You can either buy 2 Firefly's or 1 Firefly and one AM/FM

Good luck, post pics when you are done. Don't forget to have your CB SWR adjusted once it is all installed.

And if I remember right, to do it correctly you will need at least a 25' circumference w/out any metal (like buildings, cars, etc...) around. It can interfere w/ the readings.

Thanks M8, I'll have to figure out where I can go to have the SWR thing done.. last time I had anything like that done was waaaaay back in the 80's..

Cheers

It's also possible to convert to a single Firefly antenna. It costs about the same as replacing both and is somewhat more efficient than the dual antenna setup (the am/fm antenna absorbs some of the energy generated by the cb antenna because they're so close to each other). [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11486]This[/ame] article explains what I did (with the obligatory pictures, of course). This conversion also makes it a bit easier to get a good standing wave, due to the ability to adjust the signal splitter that replaces the second antenna.

The hardest part to find was the solder style motorola jack (I think I have a source). I'm still looking for a replacement for the folder. It has more slop than I like, but it'll do until something better comes along.

It's also possible to convert to a single Firefly antenna. It costs about the same as replacing both and is somewhat more efficient than the dual antenna setup (the am/fm antenna absorbs some of the energy generated by the cb antenna because they're so close to each other). This article explains what I did (with the obligatory pictures, of course). This conversion also makes it a bit easier to get a good standing wave, due to the ability to adjust the signal splitter that replaces the second antenna.

The hardest part to find was the solder style motorola jack (I think I have a source). I'm still looking for a replacement for the folder. It has more slop than I like, but it'll do until something better comes along.

Funny enough, my ride buddy and I were discussing that today when I mentioned to him of going with the black antennas on my Midnight Venture.. "shame you can't so a dual antenna on these bikes.. " but look.. maybe so! hehe..

Some of the parts on the list in the article don't come up on their website and I don't know enough about coax / cb to know what to look for.. But it turns out I have a buddy who IS into CB in a big way who will be able to do the SWR metering for me when I get my system switched over. Nice!

Fun!