IGNORED

Handle bar wobble with no hands...

Front end wobble has happened to me twice since owning this bike. The first time it happened, I almost messed my pants, if you know what I mean!?! Both times it happened when the tire was almost gone.

New tire = no problems :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm confused.

I understand it is quick to check the stearing head bearings as the owners manual describes, but Freebird agrees that it is a big job to fully service them. For those of you above who said you did a quick tightening if the stearing bearings, please share with us how to tighten them quickly and how much time to plan for.

Thanks.

Also - my 2 cents - I have had the same thing on my Honda Shadow, and it was caused by low tire pressure which caused irregular wear of the front wheel. It went away with a new front tire. Now, my Venture has shown an ocassional handlebar shake and I suspect very slight irregular wear of the front tire, but lots of tread left, so I don't want to replace it yet. (it has 11,000 miles on it)

Could a front tire out of balance cause a slow speed (20-30 mph) wobble? :think: I have new tires with correct pressure in them. Thanks

At that speed, I do not believe an out-of-balance tire would affect anything. But do look closely at the tire all the way around the rim on both sides. There should be one or more very fine lines or ridges in the rubber that are perfectly concentric with the rim. If they are not perfect, then the tire bead has not properly seated, and this will cause all sorts of problems. :080402gudl_prv:

I had the same solution to my wobble on the 99 as RoadKill. Used the quick screwdriver and rubber mallet procedure and tightened the steering head bolts. Perfect fix, no wobble at any speed. BTW, I changed out to the Avon Tires last year.

:hurts:

Newfie Bill

1999 Royal Star Venture

Newfoundland, Canada