IGNORED

Dunlop D404 wear. What's yours?

Jethroish

Reading up on tires over the last 2 months and still seeing D404 discussions, I just have to find out.

I had 13,380 miles on my original D404s. Measuring the tread, I could have easily gotten upwards of 15,000 miles. I got new tires, mostly because, I was starting to feel a little shimmy in 60mph turns. I attribute that to a little bit of "wave" type wear on the edgees of the tread.

I don't jump off the line. I keep about 40psi in the rear shock, keep the tires inflated within 2 psi of sidewall (but not over), and about 60% of the miles were 1 up.

So I am just wondering, did I get more than average life out of my D404s? What are the riding habits of those that get less than 10,000 miles out of their tire?

I now have more than 24,000 miles on my front tire on my 99,but the tire is a rear tire on the front.I live in the mountains of NC and almost all the miles are on the twisty mountain roads.I now have a sidecar on the bike and the tire looks like it has about 10,000 miles left on it.I have used the 404,s many years and plan on using them many more years.My front tire,and yes it is a rear use tire.The photo was taken with 22,000 miles on the tire.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2489795320037297848tOXnFq

http://thumb8.webshots.net/t/52/652/7/95/32/2489795320037297848tOXnFq_th.jpg

I just replaced my WWW404 rear 3 weeks ago with 13809 miles on it. I am still running the front tire which I replaced at the same time last year. I was going to keep running the front one longer then but decided to go both at once because the front one had been patched. I am thinking I'll be able to go the rest of the summer at least before I'll need to change out my front one---probly will get at least 18000 out of it. We will see. I like the look of the WWW on my bike so it will continue to be the d404 for me. :banana:

http://i309.photobucket.com/albums/kk364/rsvangel/CraigPat_sm.jpg

Reading up on tires over the last 2 months and still seeing D404 discussions, I just have to find out.

I had 13,380 miles on my original D404s. Measuring the tread, I could have easily gotten upwards of 15,000 miles. I got new tires, mostly because, I was starting to feel a little shimmy in 60mph turns. I attribute that to a little bit of "wave" type wear on the edgees of the tread.

I don't jump off the line. I keep about 40psi in the rear shock, keep the tires inflated within 2 psi of sidewall (but not over), and about 60% of the miles were 1 up.

So I am just wondering, did I get more than average life out of my D404s? What are the riding habits of those that get less than 10,000 miles out of their tire?

For years and years, Dunlop made a hard rubber tire. There was only one problem with that, they weren't selling enough tires, so they decided to start making a soft rubber tire. Before the change, I would get 24,000 miles out of my rear tire, when they decided to come out with the soft rubber tire, I was lucky to get 8,000 miles out of the tire, or 1/3rd the wear than I use to get. But guess what, when I ordered two new tires, they must have found one of the old brand tires in the back of the warehouse because it was the 150-90B15 that I was always able to order at one time, which is the tire that I got 24,000 miles with. And right now, the tire is not even a third worn out, and I've already put over 9,000 miles on the tire. So as the old saying goes, we consumers get it right where it hurts. :o

For years and years, Dunlop made a hard rubber tire. There was only one problem with that, they weren't selling enough tires, so they decided to start making a soft rubber tire. Before the change, I would get 24,000 miles out of my rear tire, when they decided to come out with the soft rubber tire, I was lucky to get 8,000 miles out of the tire, or 1/3rd the wear than I use to get. But guess what, when I ordered two new tires, they must have found one of the old brand tires in the back of the warehouse because it was the 150-90B15 that I was always able to order at one time, which is the tire that I got 24,000 miles with. And right now, the tire is not even a third worn out, and I've already put over 9,000 miles on the tire. So as the old saying goes, we consumers get it right where it hurts. :o

I just replaced my Dunlop 404 WWW. I had about 12k miles on them when I hit a pothole and tore a chunk of rubber out of the rear. I replaced them with another set of 404's. And I did find the ones with the B identifier. My local cycle shop had them in stock.

I replaced mine WWW Dunlop at 12,500 It had the B on it as well. I replaced it with another one with the B on it.

I ride like I always do, but a lot of these miles were pulling a trailer, in 100 + temp to Colorado and back

Brad