IGNORED

Rear wheel whine while leaning left at 80 kmh

Cdnlouie

Hey fellows,

Just wondering if anyone might have experienced a rear wheel whine while leaning left at 80 Kmh (or 50mph)? It has been around for the last couple of years (at least 10,000 km) and I have not paid much attention to it. You can't really hear it below 80kmh or above 90kmh (55mph). It is just in that one speed zone and only when leaning left. Changing tire pressure does not seem to make any difference either.

My gut feeling seems to think that the rear tire might the source of the sound. My Dunlop Elite II is about 40% worn and I can't remember if the sound was there when it was new or not. I am wondering if the cupping from wear is making it do this sound when leaned into the transition edge zone (Ie. between normal straight up running zone & the rarely used corner zone)?

I can't remember if I read somewhere that the Firs Gen Venture rear wheel is slightly offset from the front (due to engine design, etc. - I could be wrong here) which could also accentuate the tire sound when leaning to one side more than the other.

Another thought is that there may be a rear wheel bearing that might be showing some wear, but I don't have any experience with that on a Venture so I will have to throw it out to you all to see if you have had a similar experience :puzzled:.

Thanks for looking,

Dr. C.

Tires with any cupping at all will produce noise, and some do without cupping.

One thing I would definately do if you have not done so far is to take the driveshaft out and make sure it is lubed real good on both ends. This is routine maintanence for these 83/85 bikes. The fact that it is more noticeable while leaning left is the sound may be being bounced off the ground more and you hearing it.

RandyA

Yes, "moan" is a good description of the sound. I was trying to think how to describe it and that does it well. Everything is in good shape on my bike including a fresh driveshaft lube so I am thinking it is tire sound. I am due to change out my front one right away so that will knock that one out of the equation. It may take a while to do the rear one yet, but depending on my level of patience I may change it out sooner than later.

Good thoughts,

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone's right about the tires being the primary offender on the lean/moan syndrome. My 03's been doing it since I bought it with 10,000 miles on it last June.

It moans AND groans when leaning off center in BOTH directions. (I also have additional noise happening in the 80-90 KPH speed range, but I'm assuming that's a "Venture thing".

Planning on installing two new Venoms in a couple of weeks, so that'll validate the "tire factor".....one way or another.

Also planning on dropping front to 130 size, and dropping the triple clamps at the same time. Hoping all three of these moves will create a whole new ride!

Yes, "moan" is a good description of the sound. I was trying to think how to describe it and that does it well. Everything is in good shape on my bike including a fresh driveshaft lube so I am thinking it is tire sound. I am due to change out my front one right away so that will knock that one out of the equation. It may take a while to do the rear one yet, but depending on my level of patience I may change it out sooner than later.

Good thoughts,

My 85 has Dunlop Elite III's on them and it was one of the first things i noitce about the bike. Leaned over at speed the rear was giving me noise too, The tire still has plenty of center thread but it is a bit flattened out. When i ride it into the thicker side thread then i get noise. My first assumption was it has to be the touring tire componds for such a heavy bike. My Honda Sabre 1100 is about 560lbs. and I never have gotten noise out of those tires whether I was running Dunlops, Continentals or Kendra's.

Ditto on the tires! Mine whined on right hand curves at higher speed (ie. 40-50 mph & up) ... Had a reasonably good Venom X ... got a nail in it so changed it to new one...same kind... whine gone... got about 8K on it now... whine is coming back.

Ditto on the tires! Mine whined on right hand curves at higher speed (ie. 40-50 mph & up) ... Had a reasonably good Venom X ... got a nail in it so changed it to new one...same kind... whine gone... got about 8K on it now... whine is coming back.

Maybe It's telling you, it's too dry & hot, not moist & cool (as per normal)...........:rotf::rotf:

Maybe It's telling you, it's too dry & hot, not moist & cool (as per normal)...........:rotf::rotf:

Yup... that's gotta be it... c'mon RAIN... I need more WET WEATHER riding time!!

:rotf: :rotf:

Actually tho, this summer is turning out great! I'm luvvin it!