IGNORED

Time to grease Clutch Hub Drive Pins

I noticed my new '06 RSV has the clicking from rear wheel when backing (and even moving fwd). I've seen a number of threads that seem to point to needing the Clutch Hub Drive Pins and maybe the Drive Splines greased.

How long should a dealer need to do this job? I'm thinking of having it done while on vacation but wanna know what to expect for time and dollars.

Also, this isn't covered under warranty by any chance is it?

I noticed my new '06 RSV has the clicking from rear wheel when backing (and even moving fwd). I've seen a number of threads that seem to point to needing the Clutch Hub Drive Pins and maybe the Drive Splines greased.

How long should a dealer need to do this job? I'm thinking of having it done while on vacation but wanna know what to expect for time and dollars.

Also, this isn't covered under warranty by any chance is it?

Just recently having changed tires on the bike I found the rear wheel removal / installation to be quick a breeze so you could easily do this task yourself.. Not that hard, just need a jack, the proper everyday tools and some grease.

To answer your question...one hour and they should be done...however, while your at it, I would also have them grease the splines on the forward and aft ends of the drive shaft..

If your gonna get a lube job, you may as well do it all at the same time..:whistling:

If you don't have a decent dealer that will automatically take care of such things under warranty, the best approach is to take your bike in with a complaint about something wrong that you want taken care of under warranty. Point out the specific complaint, and then it does not hurt to casually mention that you have been told there is a TSB on the problem. The key here is to set the expectation with the shop right up front that you know the bike has a problem and you expect it taken care of under warranty. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I am now going through this same concern with a dealer.They say that the TSB for the final drive is not covered by warranty(NO WARRANTY CODE).Anyone know the code by chance.It would be greatly appreciated.

Not to be flippant or anything, but my attitude towards such a poor dealer for that would simply be "I don't know what the code is, and I don't care. This bike is making an unacceptable and impropper noise from the rear end. It is covered by a 5-year unlimited mile warranty. You will do whatever it takes to resolve that problem, and it WILL be covered under the warranty, even if I have to involve a lawyer and file suit under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act.php

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have just had my tires changed at the dealer. I ask to have the spline greased while it was apart. The S/M said that there is a S/B out on the creaking noise in the rear drive and that they would take care of it .The T/B# is M2005-015 dated 10/20/2005. This falls under warrenty.It basically involves realignment of the rear drive while the rear tire is removed. This also includes the tour deluxe. I have a copy of the S/B,but I can't scan it to put it on here.

Edited by Nighthawk II

I don't see how it's a warranty issue unless the bike have less then 5 or 6000 miles on it. It's a part that needs grease. A TSB does not mean warranty. It's just a heads up for the dealer. Im sure the dealers that are doing this "under warranty" are doing to be nice guys so that they will not lose a customer. Hopefully your dealer will take care of it for no charge just to keep you happy.

While I was discussing this with the guy, he said the problem actually is a result of Tourque twist. The rear end has a tendancy to twist under acceleration tourque. No matter how easy you try to accelerate it will happen. They know about this and will fix it as long as your warrenty is in effect.

I will probably lube the rear on my bike myself for two reasons:

1) I will use Honda Moly60 grease, as it is probably the best lube for the job and my local dealer may or may not use it.

2) I find it relaxing to wrench on my bike.......

Had this happen to me when new tires were added about a year ago. Called the mechanic while on my 4 day trip. He said not to worry. He'd take care of it when I returned. He did and I have not had a problem since.

I like dealers that do what they say they will do. (they like me buying their bikes!)

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm dealing with the same issue now. I took it in for the 600 mile tune up and had the clicking noise. When they drained the final drive oil, they said it was BLACK, there was a real problem, and Yamaha overnighted the complete assembly to replace. Now I'm at 1200 miles on a little trip last weekend with the wifey, and it starts again. Much louder this time, too, or I'm just "hearing" it more because I know what it is.

I told them previously about greasing everything, but I think they just blew me off. Tomorrow another assembly will arrive (told him to order it again since I don't want this premature wear and it's covered by warranty), but I also printed out the TSB and a few threads with pictures and text from the other RSV forums I found.

I have 1500 miles on the bike now...not too confident in anything, as the radio head doesn't work now either (fading and buttons don't work). Totally unrelated, but I'm starting to think I should have bought the "other" brand.

Is this the kind of stuff I should expect with the 2008 RSV? Did I buy a lemon? I'm SO disappointed, as I really love my bike!

Thanks,

Mark Turkel

http://www.RideBellChain.com

SCRC #456

http://www.RideBellchain.com/Gallery/images/keywest/mm0_small.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm dealing with the same issue now. I took it in for the 600 mile tune up and had the clicking noise. When they drained the final drive oil, they said it was BLACK, there was a real problem, and Yamaha overnighted the complete assembly to replace. Now I'm at 1200 miles on a little trip last weekend with the wifey, and it starts again. Much louder this time, too, or I'm just "hearing" it more because I know what it is.

I told them previously about greasing everything, but I think they just blew me off. Tomorrow another assembly will arrive (told him to order it again since I don't want this premature wear and it's covered by warranty), but I also printed out the TSB and a few threads with pictures and text from the other RSV forums I found.

I have 1500 miles on the bike now...not too confident in anything, as the radio head doesn't work now either (fading and buttons don't work). Totally unrelated, but I'm starting to think I should have bought the "other" brand.

Is this the kind of stuff I should expect with the 2008 RSV? Did I buy a lemon? I'm SO disappointed, as I really love my bike!

Thanks,

Mark Turkel

http://www.RideBellChain.com

SCRC #456

http://www.RideBellchain.com/Gallery/images/keywest/mm0_small.jpg

On the radio, just pull the front fairing off, and put some dielectric grease in each of the fittings for the radio. Wanderer's froze up this weekend and found one of the connectors loose under the fairing. Took all of them apart, greased and snapped back together. No more radio freeze.

If you don't have a decent dealer that will automatically take care of such things under warranty, the best approach is to take your bike in with a complaint about something wrong that you want taken care of under warranty. Point out the specific complaint, and then it does not hurt to casually mention that you have been told there is a TSB on the problem. The key here is to set the expectation with the shop right up front that you know the bike has a problem and you expect it taken care of under warranty. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hope you are rite Goose, I just took my bike to the dealer for the leaky shock and cracked left lower fairing, the service tech says he never heard of a bad shock?? and something must have hit and cracked my fairing?? so I asked him to call Yamaha and inquire as I know of other owners with the same problems that were fixed under warranty. He still hasnt gotten back to me? But he didnt seem real eager to get it taken care of? As he was checking service history on my bike he pointed out that the rear wheel and hub had been replaced in 06 under warranty?? Anyone else have the rear wheel replaced? Craig

Hope you are rite Goose, I just took my bike to the dealer for the leaky shock and cracked left lower fairing, the service tech says he never heard of a bad shock?? and something must have hit and cracked my fairing?? so I asked him to call Yamaha and inquire as I know of other owners with the same problems that were fixed under warranty. He still hasnt gotten back to me? But he didnt seem real eager to get it taken care of? As he was checking service history on my bike he pointed out that the rear wheel and hub had been replaced in 06 under warranty?? Anyone else have the rear wheel replaced? Craig

Sounds like you have a really bad dealer - I'm sorry for that. You may have to work harder to get them to do what they legally must do under the warranty.

If they continue to give you static on the lower fairing, make them show you the proof that external damage caused the crack. I had my lower left cowling replaced under warranty without problem. I simply asked the service manager to inspect the cowling for any evidence of the cowling having ever touched anything. When he could not find any sign that it had been hit, the mater was closed.

The leaky shock is well known, but that makes no difference. Even if yours is the very first one, it is still defective, and they have no choice but to replace it.

I don't know why your rear wheel and hub was replaced under warranty, but that is totally immaterial - the legal terms of the warranty require them to cover the bike no matter how many times they have to replace a part. In fact, once they have replaced something under warranty (or even if you have complained and they did not fix it), they are forced to continue honoring the warranty on that part until it is fixed correctly, even after the normal warranty expires.

I am sorry you have such a terrible dealer, but you do not need to just roll over and take it! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The reply from your dealer saying there is no warranty code is BS. There are warranty codes for everypart of your bike. The code is basiclly two parts, the first part is the system code (reaer drive hub, front fork, dash, etc...) the second part is the failure code (leaking, unusual noise, premature wear, etc...). Yamaha does not assign codes for specific parts failures, such as rear drive making a clicking noise. The service managers don't like to do warranty work because they are only going to get paid for a specific amount of time to do the repair under warranty, no chance to gouge the customer for extra time. The ones that do take care of your warranty work in a good manner, usually are charging the customers only the book rate for non-warranty repairs, IE they don't gouge their paying customers all the time.

OK I am off my soap box now. Sorry for the ranting.

When they have the rear end out, make sure they use Honda Moly60 grease on the splines (3 places) and the clutch hub fingers.

Drive shaft is on page 7-91 and see that it specifies Molybdenum disulphide grease

Clutch hub splines are part number 7 on page 7-13 and the manual shows Lithium soap grease, but have them use Honda Moly60 instead as it works better in this application.