IGNORED

Poor performance after tip over

Guest gizmov

Guest gizmov

I have an 83 XVZ12 that tipped over after stopping, "foot slipped out". The bike was gently laid on it's right side. Only visable damage was a small scuff on the upper fairing. My problem is this. It seems to run just a bit doggie when under throttle, when I get on the throttle at about 55-60 it boggs a bit then picks up, almost like a turbo kicking in. Another problem is that my cruse control will not stay engaged more than a few seconds, when I can get to stay on it won't accel with the acc button any more, at least not like it did. Could this be a vacume problem or a fuel problem? Everything was fine until the tip over. HELP! Chris.

You might check the roll over valve on the gas tank vent.....located just below the neck of the filler. If it has stuck partially closed the fuel pump will have difficulty keeping carbs full under heaver loads. Its there to keep fuel spilling out when the bike is on its side.

On the c/c problem, you said it went over on the right side. If it hit the brake lever you may have knocked the micro switch out of wack under the lever that cuts off the c/c when you hit the brakes. The switch and bushing are a big cause of the c/c not working right in a lot of cases. Something to check.

Guest gizmov

Thanks for the tip's I'll check both items in question. I was wondering if something mite have jarred loose inside the one of the carb's. Or some crud in the float bowl got dislodged and cloged somthing? Make any sense? Chris.

On the c/c problem, you said it went over on the right side. If it hit the brake lever you may have knocked the micro switch out of wack under the lever that cuts off the c/c when you hit the brakes. The switch and bushing are a big cause of the c/c not working right in a lot of cases. Something to check.

Ditto on that for the left side too. If you landed on the left side you could have messed up the clutch switch. My cruise would sometimes shut down and I finally traced it to that switch. Or rather to the clutch lever and brass bushing therein having too much slack.

Guest gizmov
You might check the roll over valve on the gas tank vent.....located just below the neck of the filler. If it has stuck partially closed the fuel pump will have difficulty keeping carbs full under heaver loads. Its there to keep fuel spilling out when the bike is on its side.
Can you tell me how to access this valve? Thanks, Chris.

Remove the top cover (covering airbox, battery, fill cap)...should be able to see the valve right up near the filler neck (86)....believe it's housed down under right side cover on the 83.....inline with the vent hose.

Edited by Neil86

The actual vent hose check valve is down along the right side just about where the rear Brake reservoir is. If you remove your right side panel, it should be strapped to the frame riser right there at the reservoir. You could remove it and blow thru it to make sure it's not plugged.

Dan

I like the answers so far and those are the issues I would deal with first, but then if that don't solve the problem, you may have shook up some dirt in the bottom of the tank and got some of it into the system. Try a can of Seafoam in a half tank of gas, run it into the system and then let it sit overnight before running the rest through the next day. When that half tank is used, fill it back up again.

Mine has it, but it could have been added.

OK, is it factory OEM?? Because it's a whole lotta trouble to convert to one. 'Nother question. Is your choke set an on/off slider under the horn button, or does it rotate in front of the LH grip??

It is a ZT-11 not sure if it is factory. The choke is a slider under the horn on the in front of the LH grip.

Yeah, it's not factory. There are a few '84's with factory cruise and 83 VIN#'s. that's why I asked about the difference in Chokes. Sorry to take this off topic. As far as the lack of performance, I think a few have responded with suggestions about the fuel cut off valve. It might be stuck closed and not venting and allowing enough fuel to be pumped to the carbs. It's the only thing I can think of after a 'gentle' drop. Try blowing air up the line and see if it'll break loose...??

Guest gizmov

Thanks for the response condor, I pulled the valve off and bypassed it with no change in performance. I also pulled the fuel filters and fuel pump, all was clean. I am guessing it's a problem inside one of the carbs or a vacume line pulled loose. Think i'll check for a vac leak first. Oh by the way the right handle bar never touched the ground so it cant be a bumped switch. Chris.

Chris, I assume you're making the connection between engine vacuum and CC not working. However, Venture CC does not operate on engine vacuum. It has its own vacuum pump.

Your problem is very strange. I have no further ideas :-(

Jeremy