IGNORED

Speedo troubles

Guest ReinyRooster

Guest ReinyRooster

My speedo stopped working the other day after going through a bumpy construction area. We took the cable out from the bottom and inspected the cable itself and it looks fine. I have two questions:

1) anybody have a speedo for sale?

2) there is a dash for sale on E-Bay for the earlier 1st gen....will that fit a later vintage 1stgen ('87) as well?

Thanks

My speedo stopped working the other day after going through a bumpy construction area.

Maybe changing that shock would have helped ? Guess you can't change it yet it is still in my Garage.

:sign20:

Brad

Pull out the axel, and check the drive unit. That, might be where the problem is.

To get the speedo unit out, remove windshield, then the entire Instrument panel unit, then dissassemble it, and you can now get the actual speedo out.

So, check the drive unit first.

Guest Highway

Boy just reading the first part of your post was scary, I thought it might need to be flushed, till I read that it was a motorcycle problem...

:322::doh::no-no-no::rotf::rotf:

Boy just reading the first part of your post was scary, I thought it might need to be flushed, till I read that it was a motorcycle problem...

:322::doh::no-no-no::rotf::rotf:

Believe me, after sharing a cabin with Reiny in Ft Collins last year, that is a sight you don't even want to imagine...:stirthepot:

:15_8_211[1]:

Guest Highway
Believe me, after sharing a cabin with Reiny in Ft Collins last year, that is a sight you don't even want to imagine...:stirthepot:

:15_8_211[1]:

Any photos????

Guest ReinyRooster

Those of you who actually posted some worthwhile information ( GeorgeS) - thankyou, I plan on starting that tomorrow. The rest of you need a hobby...or better yet...how about a rally!! There's an idea!! How about in a week or so!!:rotf::rotf:

Reiny...

Put bike on mainstand. Unhook cable at hub......spin bottom end of cable while assistant watches speedometer needle...should see it bounce off bottom just by rotating cable by hand.

Then observe the sleeve on the front wheel cable drive for rotation as you spin the front tire. Should pinpoint which end is the problem.

Reiny...I should have mentioned....you need to rotate the cable C.C.W. as you look at the end of the cable. You will see it bounce a little...say 10 km/hr off bottom.

If you rotate C.W., it'll stay against the needle stop.

Reiny...I should have mentioned....you need to rotate the cable C.C.W. as you look at the end of the cable. You will see it bounce a little...say 10 km/hr off bottom.

If you rotate C.W., it'll stay against the needle stop.

But the Odo will run backwards ...

But the Odo will run backwards ...

Squeeze....

the problem I believe is the speedometer not registering. The odometer section can fail but the speedometer still work...thats what mine did.....the actual speedometer needle uses magnetic force to operate...there is no mechanical connection between the rotating head and the cone that rotates the needle.

Reiny....

If you go the used route...US speedometer will be MPH predominant...if that matters....and earlier ones (83-85)had black faceplate as opposed to a two tone grey.

Edited by Neil86