IGNORED

RSTD vs 2nd Gen Venture

BJB

Let me start off by saying I used to own a 96 Royal Star Tour Classic. Except for power, I really did like the ride of that bike. Now, I own an 89 VR, and for short legged guys like me it is quite top heavy, but ride is OK.

Recently I ran into a buddy of mine and he is now riding a 2006 RSTD and it looks sweet...so sweet I am considering looking at one. Especially since I got all the bugs worked out the 89 right?

Everyone states that the 2nd gen Ventures are very top heavy. So, my question is this. Is the RSTD top heavy too? I thought they were basically the same bike, just more features? I sat on my buddies and it didn't feel top heavy but did not get to drive it. Does the fairing and rear trunk bag add that much upper weight? I sure would like to get opinions from the RSTD and 2nd gen riders. Thanks.

Guest JGorom

I still miss my 2005 RSTD...it is not top heavy...it was the best riding motorcycle I have ever owned. My wife hated it so I converted it to solo and she was happy riding on the back of the Goldwing. I would still own it but someone ran into it and totalled it. I then purchased a 2nd Gen so I've owned both and for me the RSTD was a much better ride.

Guest JGorom
My 2006 RSTD is not top heavy but a bit of a beast to manuver at low speeds.

Mine was too at first. First I went with the narrower Avon tires up front which made the slow speed handling much better. Then I went back to the standard width tire with the Diamond R leveling links which does the same thing (improves slow speed manuvers).

When I got my Venture I stayed with the standard tire and again installed the Diamond R leveling links. The wider (stock) tire with the Diamond R leveling links is the way to go in my opinion (unless if your short...because the leveling links will raise up the rear about an inch).

I am 5'5" on a good day, had an 87 Vr loved that bike, but it was just to tall for me, I picked up an 06 RSV sits and "feels" quite a bit lower. If you can handle a 1st gen the 2nd gen will be much easier. You still aint gonna back it up a hill sitting on it though. Craig

I had an 86 VR and was a great bike, now I have a 05 RSTD------Man, I love this bike!

It such a treat to ride. I just had to sell the 86VR.

I've never ridden a 2nd gen venture so I can't tell you the difference there, but that RSTD is a blast to ride.

Steve