IGNORED

Affordable GPS

Guest Chaos

Guest Chaos

I just picked up a Mio DigiWalker C310x GPS, and I am very impressed with it so far. Mio's new models are coming out so they are having a fire sale on this unit. I picked mine up from Circuit City for $199, but I have seen it as cheap as $159 at Comp USA. This unit has a built-in MP3 player and will support up to 4 gig memory cards. I have already unlocked the system to act as a full blown PDA, and I'm in the process of creating custom menus that will be easily accessible while moving. I have included a screenshot of the first menu page that I have created. I still have 2 more pages to create and I should have it just the way I want it.

Here is a link for anyone that's interested.

http://www.miogps.com/US/products_c310xfeatures.htm

Screenshot Icons:

Top Row: GPS Software, GPS Settings, Unlock Tool, Movie Player

Next Row: Photo Viewer, Calculator, MP3 Player, and Next Page

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chaos
Does doing that void the warranty :rotf: , what did you say the other day Techno Geek ?

You continue to impress me, with the electronics stuff. But What do you need the calculater for ?

Brad

It will come in handy around you ! ! I'm always having to convert miles into kilometers and don't forget the freaking currency exchange thing.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Guest Chaos
Nice price, but I think I'd keep an eye on the weather. That card slot in the top and open holes in the back look like they would let a lot of water in.

They make a full clear cover for this unit, but I will probably use something fancy like a heavy duty zip lock bag. The bag is around $35.00 cheaper than the cover. I agree with you though, I will either have to cover the gps or throw it in the trunk when it rains.

Thanks for the heads up Marc, if it works out well enough we might be able to pick one up to give away at Ft. Collins...that would be cool :happy34:

Brad,

If you have a Comp-USA around you, they are currently selling for $145.00.

Our stores here are closed and right now the units are on back order for on-line purchase from Comp-USA........

Guest Chaos
How do you like the routing feature. Does it give you the fastest route, or a straight line route? Can you set preferences to avoid tollways and freeways?

Yes to all of that. I have only used it a few times so far, but this thing has a lot of features for the price. I have attached a screen shot of the routing options.

Guest dogstyle

I looked at this brand back before Christmas and the buzz on the internet chat rooms was that they came with outdated maps and nobody seemed to know how to get updated maps. I see something on their website about a map updater that was not there when I last checked, but does it really work??? Clint :confused24:

Guest Chaos

Updated maps are suppose to be out sometime this April. The units shipping now come with Mio Map version 3.2 which I believe was updated in late 2005 or early 2006. There are conflicting reports if the updated maps will be free for registered customers or if they will charge for the updates.

I have been looking for an MP3 player that would support replaceable memory cards. My ipod video doesn't tolerate the vibration on the bike and locks up about once per ride. The solid state memory should be more robust, and since I keep it in a tank bag it will be under cover from the elements. I figure I would have spent at least $150.00 on an MP3 player. With this I get the GPS and the MP3 all in one. Don't think I'll be hacking it unlocked or anything. Although it would be nice to be able to store my maintenance logs and mileage in the PDA.

Guest Chaos
I have been looking for an MP3 player that would support replaceable memory cards. My ipod video doesn't tolerate the vibration on the bike and locks up about once per ride. The solid state memory should be more robust, and since I keep it in a tank bag it will be under cover from the elements. I figure I would have spent at least $150.00 on an MP3 player. With this I get the GPS and the MP3 all in one. Don't think I'll be hacking it unlocked or anything. Although it would be nice to be able to store my maintenance logs and mileage in the PDA.

That's kinda of the way I was looking at it when I bought mine. I was pleasantly surprised to find out just how nice the GPS unit was.

The MP3 player will go on pause when the GPS has something to say, then come back on. Of course you're going to have your tunes interupted by "Insufficient signal" announcements as well as "Turn Left" directions. The web site that Chaos posted has links to the owners manual if you are interested.

Chaos,

Ive been waiting for the XACT Navi to come out as I want Sirius, MP3 and Nav. I notice that this Mio has a 3.5 jack on it. Just a longshot but do you think there is a way to route the Sirius I already have through the GPS so that the radio will mute to let the GPS talk? That is the real thing I am looking for. I dont care if the Sirius is one unit or routed through it to mute. I now they make external units that you can but that will do this but I want it simple. If not I think I will just Wait.

Guest Chaos
Chaos,

Ive been waiting for the XACT Navi to come out as I want Sirius, MP3 and Nav. I notice that this Mio has a 3.5 jack on it. Just a longshot but do you think there is a way to route the Sirius I already have through the GPS so that the radio will mute to let the GPS talk? That is the real thing I am looking for. I dont care if the Sirius is one unit or routed through it to mute. I now they make external units that you can but that will do this but I want it simple. If not I think I will just Wait.

You couldn't run the Sirius through the GPS that is strictly an audio out jack. What you could do is run both into a splitter before the audio in jack on the front or rear of the RSV system.

If I were you I think I would wait for a simple all in one solution rather than mounting separate devices, but that's just me.

:)

You couldn't run the Sirius through the GPS that is strictly an audio out jack. What you could do is run both into a splitter before the audio in jack on the front or rear of the RSV system.

If I were you I think I would wait for a simple all in one solution rather than mounting separate devices, but that's just me.

:)

Thats what I thought but the cheap Scot in me is always looking for ways to save money. They make units you can plug all tha stuff into and it will assign priority but it cost about $200 so I might as well wait for Xact to release the unit.

Marc,

I'm wondering just how much detail you are getting on that gps. I think I saw somewhere that that unit only has about 65K memory?

I have an older Garmin StreetPilot and I had to buy a 128 meg card for it and even then I am only able to get 6 to 8 counties in any great detail.

If I put Cook county in I only get about 3 or 4 counties.

Just curious,

Jerry

Guest Fly-N-Lo

Jerry,

I bought one for the wifes suv a couple of weeks ago and like it very much. The first weekend I had it I wire tied the mounting bracket to the left handlebar on the bike. It did well, much better than the CD based Navmate I have in my truck. The map details are very good in larger cities and towns. But like my Navmate, get out in the boonies and it only shows major hiways and roads. The rate of route recalculations is very fast. I'm guessing because the maps are stored on hard RAM and not a CD drive. I have yet to use the MP3 player, so I can't comment on that. Screen is bright enough for daytime use. Polorized sunglasses seem to mess up viewing the LCD, but they do all LCD's. I like the fact it has a built in battery, makes it easy to use on a bike. All in all the Mio is a good deal for the money. I like it so well I'm thinking of buying another just for my bike. :whistling: YES, she was upset when she saw it on the bike instead of in her suv.

Guest Chaos
Marc,

I'm wondering just how much detail you are getting on that gps. I think I saw somewhere that that unit only has about 65K memory?

I have an older Garmin StreetPilot and I had to buy a 128 meg card for it and even then I am only able to get 6 to 8 counties in any great detail.

If I put Cook county in I only get about 3 or 4 counties.

Just curious,

Jerry

Boo,

The Mio has a zoom and tilt function right on the cockpit window that allows you to zoom in or out or even tilt the map to change the viewing perspective. (In 3D Mode) Personally, I'm very happy with the detail of the maps. It shows the name of every street as they come into view.

I had a brain fart and left my GPS at work tonight, but if I remember tomorrow I will take a couple of screen shots and post them.

Guest Chaos
I like it so well I'm thinking of buying another just for my bike. :whistling: YES, she was upset when she saw it on the bike instead of in her suv.

I have thought about buying a second one myself. If I was only made of money the world would be a better place. :)

I see that you are from Kennesaw. I lived in Kennesaw for five years back around 84 - 89 or something like that. I use to work just off Windy Hill Rd on Intestate Research Park. I remember when we first moved to the area I-75 around Windy Hill Rd was 4 lanes. (2 lanes each direction) Five years later it was 6 lanes headed in and 7 lanes headed out. They were also knocking down 500 acres of trees per day for new development. Is that area still growing as fast as it was?

As for the question of weather proof I did not have a problem with the unit mounted in a downpour in Tuson till I got stopped in traffic, at which time I tucked it away. Moving down the road it did not get wet at all. I will post pics of my mounting tommorow if any one is interested. Rod

Guest Fly-N-Lo
Is that area still growing as fast as it was?

Chaos, Marietta merges with Kennesaw, Kennesaw now with Acworth, Acworth all they way to Bartow County Line. Mars Hill Rd used to be nothing but farm land, now there is so many sub divisions they are talking about 5 lanes all the way to Powder Springs. I remember in '84 saying that there is no way in h*** I would live in Kennesaw because there was nothing there but hicks a sticks...now, I'm looking to go further north. Kennesaw is too crouded!!! Takes 30 minutes to go 4.1 miles south at 7:00am. SO, you worked off Windy Hill back in the "Sneakers" days. I spent many nights there hanging out. If only I had all that money and lost brain cells back :) . If you make it to Vogal in August I'll give to the grand tour.