IGNORED

Seafoam then oil change?????

V4ME

I just ran a can through the tank and have been told by some that I need to change the oil to remove the debris that it has accumulated ?? I just changed it 1200 miles ago and synth. oli is expensive? Any ideas if this is needed or can harm my engine if I don't change it? In most of all the post I have read nobody mentions changing the oil after Seafoam.:confused24:

I have never changed my oil because I ran seafoam thru the tank. Done it many times. That's a new one on me. Ran it thru my cars,trucks and my boat and never changed the oil on them either. I would say they don't know what they are talking about.No where on the can does it say to change your oil after use either.

I just ran a can through the tank and have been told by some that I need to change the oil to remove the debris that it has accumulated ?? I just changed it 1200 miles ago and synth. oli is expensive? Any ideas if this is needed or can harm my engine if I don't change it? In most of all the post I have read nobody mentions changing the oil after Seafoam.:confused24:

Perhaps, they were thinking it was added to the oil??? In that useage, yes it needs to be changed, with only a few minutes running time, if I am correct.

But for fuel use, no oil change is needed.

Has anyone actually Put Seafoam in there engine oil and lived to tell the tale? I have an 87' VR with 72,000 plus miles on it and was wondering if this would do the clutch any harm? How long do you run the engine before you change oil and do you just let the bike idle or do you take it for a ride? :confused24:I have always been really good about changing the oil and filter but with 72k I'm sure there are some deposits lurking in the engine crankcase to be removed, If this actually works, I would be willing to give it a shot. Oh, by the way, I have used the Seafoam in my gas tank quite a few times and never changed my oil change schedule because of the Seafoam.:whistling:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
spelling

i am not sure about the clutch but i see no reason it would hurt it i have run it for a day in my boat it fixed lots of problems lifters pumped back up no more rattles or knocks and nice clean oil changes after i did it

i would not run it hard for extended runs but it will not hurt to run it easy around town type driving where you are not running high rev's for a long time

I did run my boat full throttle for around 20 miles with no ill efects

dray

I have thought about running it in my bike. (when I get it going)This bike sat for a long time and it seems like it might be a good idea to clean it out. Thoughts???

Dan, have been think along those same lines.

what i worry about, is cleaning TOO MUCH.

i wonder if you would have to worry about "rings and mains", if you clean out all the gunk.

just jt

I have thought about running it in my bike. (when I get it going)This bike sat for a long time and it seems like it might be a good idea to clean it out. Thoughts???

I had pretty good results using Sea Foam on that second '83 I picked up. It had sat for 3+ years out in the weather, and once we got it fired up...with the old gas and shut it down emidiately... then put in 3 gallons of fresh and a can of Foam. Never did drain the tank. Fired it back up again and let it idle til the fan kicked on. Then let it sit for 24 hours. The longer it ran the better it got. Finally topped the tank off and took it for a 200 mile ride. If all that's wrong with the carbs is evaporated fuel and varnish, SF will git'r done..

Where can you buy Seafoam other than their website?Does the bug b gone work?Do all products work as well as te gas treatment?

SeaFoam can "usually" be purchased from most auto parts stores, WalMart, and Home Depot.

Bug-B-Gone is a fantastic product and works as advertised. SeaFoam donated a case of Bug-B-Gone to us for the Potato Creek Rally. Everyone that got a sample found it to be extremely effective in cleaning the bugs off windshield, headlight, farrings, etc.

:15_8_211[1]:

Has anyone actually Put Seafoam in there engine oil and lived to tell the tale?

Greetings Star friends.

I have a Royal star Tour Classic II 1998 sitting in a repair shop in New York being repaired after a transportation accident and waiting to be shipped to me in Iceland. The friendly person who sold me the bike was so nice that he bought me a gallon of SeaFoam and put it in the saddle bags since this product can not be bought in Iceland. Just to be on the safe side I decided to call mr. Seafoam himself and ask him about running SeaFoam through (what do you call it - Crankcase?) instead of engine oil to clean everything out. What I was worrying about was clutch slippage. I do not remember the name of the person I talked to but he was I think their sales manager. What he told me was that running the product through the "crankcase" to clean the compartment out was quite safe. He said that usually the clutch slippage in motorcycles was caused by gum building up on the disks and that SeaFoam would clean that off and therefore inmprove the contacts of the clutch disks. He adviced me to drain the oil out and put the same amount of SeaFoam as I would when changing the oil. Then start the bike up and let it run for about two to five minutes and then completely drain the SeaFoam out and fill again with fresh oil. He said it was perfectly safe and would not under any circumstances do any harm - all it would do was to clean the dirt out and improve the clutch performance. I am going to try this when my bike gets here and I will post the results.

I have heard nothing but good things about this product and am quite confident that it will not harm my clutch or other components.

Has anyone of you guys done this?

Dan, have been think along those same lines.

what i worry about, is cleaning TOO MUCH.

i wonder if you would have to worry about "rings and mains", if you clean out all the gunk.

just jt

you cant clean rings or mains to much all you could do is get some extra dirt out and your motors are liquid cooled so you would have no worrys about it put it in and run it id try at least 30minutes then do a oil change and filter

I wouldn't drain oil I would just add about 10 to 16 ozs of Sea-Foam run it for few minutes and drain.

Dan when i used it in my boat i did an oil change and left out one quart of oil and added a quart of SeaFoam ran it most all day and it did great then i changed it and put a new filter on

dray

Sea foam in the crank case won't cause any problems in a good engine. In a worn engine that is using some oil already it could cause some problems if you wash the carbon out of the ring lands and the valve guides your oil consumption could go up. as an engine wears it builds carbon behind the rings and in the valve guides that acts as a seal. You can get the same results by running a high detergent diesel oil like rotella t. If your cheap a pint of diesel fuel in the crank case will do a pretty good job of cleaning it out.

Sea foam in the crank case won't cause any problems in a good engine. In a worn engine that is using some oil already it could cause some problems if you wash the carbon out of the ring lands and the valve guides your oil consumption could go up. as an engine wears it builds carbon behind the rings and in the valve guides that acts as a seal. You can get the same results by running a high detergent diesel oil like rotella t. If your cheap a pint of diesel fuel in the crank case will do a pretty good job of cleaning it out.

HEY Mike!!!!!

could you loan me $3.00, so i can buy a PINT of diesel????

just jt

Guest JGorom
I wouldn't drain oil I would just add about 10 to 16 ozs of Sea-Foam run it for few minutes and drain.

I'd say this is the way to go also...I know I can never get all the oil out when I change mine on my 2nd gen. (is there a secret bolt somewhere to drain the oil completely?)...

...and 3 quarts of seafoam is going to cost you about $20 bucks (not real cheap).