IGNORED

Tail Of The Dragon Ride.

Steve S

Hello Venture Riders.

My bro in law and I went on a nice 1000-mile ride to Tenn and NC to ride the Dragon and several other roads down there.  We Rode the Dragon 3 times, Cherohala Skyway, which was closed because a bridge was out, so we had to do it in sections, Over the mountain from Cherokee to Pidgeon Forge and the Foothills Parkway and through the Dragon to Robbinsville.  

I have done this several times through my riding years, but it was Jeff's first time on a motorcycle, a 2006 RSV of course, and he loved every mile of it.  It will be next spring before we both can get back down there, but we are looking forward to another wonderful adventure.

Oh, he refused to drag the floorboards on the Dragon even though I showed him how several times. 😁

Steve.

• Like 3

Done it a couple time from north to south. But the last time I was going to ride it would be from south to north. I didnt get out of site of the restaurant   and a big rig ran me off the road and never looked back. So I'm done with it. I would say if you have to do it go north to south. For some reasons big rigs think its a good short cut from Tn to NC. Even though there are huge signs telling them its against law   . 

• Like 1

We used to see big trucks on the Dragon years ago. Finally, the state of Tennessee stopped anything over 30 feet from going through there. I try to go during the week, so we don't have to deal with the weekend riders. 

I have ridden hundreds of miles of roads in Tennessee, North and South Carolina in the Smoky Mountains through my riding years.  It is some of the most beautiful riding in the south.

Steve.

• Like 1

We were in Maggie Valley the first of September and rode up to the dragon, we did ride it again on the Goldwing it hasn't changed but everyone should experience it at least once we have been enjoying those roads at least once a year for the past bunch of years our next trip to the area will be the Asheville get together August 2024

• Like 1

I rode down there last month with a group from WI.  The wash-out of the Cherohala (Cherry Cola?) Byway happened while we were there.  Had 6 inches of rain overnight and it washed out a hunk of the road.  Not knowing it was closed, we rode it from the East end.  Got within 3 miles of the end and the road was closed.  Turned around and rode all the way back.  That's OK, there are certainly worse roads to ride twice.  Rode The Dragon a couple times, multiple other roads as well.  Some of the ones you mentioned.  Will we return?  Remains to be seen.  It was an amazing week!

• Like 1