IGNORED

2000 Royal Star Venture ignition switch

why am i having trouble getting a replacement ignition switch for my venture every place i look its not in stock or they want 2 to 3 hundred dollars when they do have it in stock that seams kinda high to me for a ignition switch i have seen a few videos of how to rebuild one. My issue is when turning it to the ON position i have to turn it back and forth till it goes to the the ON position but i will not start i have to find a sweet spot between the ACC and ON position to get it start last week i was riding down the road lost all power had too pull over and find that spot again any advise and direction to go is appreciated

TY Mike Steele

On the site here there is a procedure in the tech section I think, for cleaning the contacts up. Also under the tank there is the leads that go the the switch. Loose or bad connection puts a draw and melts the plug. 

My '99 started to have the intermittent contact issue last year.  I followed the switch repair procedure linked above and polished my contacts with a fine brass brush.  I also found a slightly deformed/overheated connector and replaced that as well.  Bike is working great again with the switch turning ON 1st try and no longer have the phantom power draw.  

• 1 month later...