:confused24: My '86 Royale came with a new Elite II rear tire. The front tire should be replaced and I'd like to switch to Venoms. Is it safe to run a Venom on the front and leave the new Elite II on the rear?

Thanks, Gary

I have seen some postings in the various forums that some 1st gens didnt like the venom tires, they caused a wobble, but check around on the forums in here for yourself. (or someone else in here with way more knowledge than I will probably have some more info)

I ride an 85 1st gen that had bridgstones front and rear when i bought it and it had a bit of a wobble at 100kmh, so, when the rear needed replacing I went to the Elite II and the wobble went away. I still have the bridgestone on the front but the bike feels heavy in front when low speeds and it sometimes feels like its gonna break loose while leaning into a corner. (the front is the next to go to an Elite II as soon as the budget allows)

But as far as mixing 2 brands of GOOD quality tires, i dont think you will have any issues as long as you follw the inflation and loading specs on the tires. Some people buy a cheaper tire for these machines and dont realize that they are over the load limit and then wonder why the tire only lasts a short time or they start having issues.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

Maybe the Venoms aren't the best? I also live 2 miles off of the tar. Is there a road tire that's also safe on loose gravel?

Thanks

Those would be called dirt bike tires and they are full of knobs! :rasberry:

In my mind the mix might be ok but the Venoms have a higher load rating than the others and have a higher max psi which could cause a little bit of difference between front and back.

I prefer to have matching front and rear tires. If you are looking for budget tire that has had some good reviews (even by famous V7Goose), take a gander at the Pirelli Routes MT66.

Seems to be a good following with the Dunlops. The Metz have shown some mixed emotions on this site.

Venoms will cost you a bit more and should be a little stickier than the others. The praise for Venoms go both ways. But, on 1st gen could give you some unexplained and unresolved wobble issues. Even with that said, many have no wobble issues with them on the 1st gens.

So, take your time, read all the posts that you can on this site and make the choice you feel most comfortable with.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT BASHING ANY TIRE, JUST WRITING WHAT I HAVE READ.

I pretty much agree here.

I have often ran different tires front and back but there is some that won't do it. I have a hard time throwing away good tires just to have the same manufacture.

I also won't get into the tire argument years ago the Avon were considered junk by most of the riders I hung out with. (Read cheap). They now appear to have a good tire, lots of people ride on them but I'm a Dunlop man and have been for years, they have yet to give me any reason to change so I don't.

Answer to the dirt road is NO, even the dirt tires are squirrelly on the dirt/gravel roads.

Good Luck with what ever you do,

Jerry

I have used Dunlop Elite III's on my Goldwings, and I thought they were great, but I just had Metzlers put on my Yamaha, and I couldn't be happier. They are silent, soft-riding, and feel like they are glued to the road. They don't feel 'hard' like some others I've tried.

Ken:backinmyday:

:confused24: My '86 Royale came with a new Elite II rear tire. The front tire should be replaced and I'd like to switch to Venoms. Is it safe to run a Venom on the front and leave the new Elite II on the rear?

Thanks, Gary

Rode to Ft Collins and back, 3000+ miles with that set up. No problems....:thumbsup2: