IGNORED

Chirping and Whining

Besides the usual chirping on my 07 venture, I'm noticing more of a whine coming from the side of the bike and towards the rear. If I turn the radio up the whine is drowned a bit but it's very annoying and making me not enjoy the ride as much. I know some have mentioned the basket fix and my dealer says they want to go through the rear end, whatever that means. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just went over 10,000 miles on the odometer. Otherwise, I love the bike!!!

Eddie

Guest LeeAT

My Dealer just went thru mine a 2007 Midnight Venture and put the I Basket in and it did not change the whine or chirping they are going to try some other things at least they can hear the whine I thought it was maybe just me

Yeah, I know. I get comments like turn up the radio. If it weren't for my bub's exhaust, it'd be driving me crazy!! Let me know what they try and if it works.

Eddie

1-859-749-0181

Yeah, I know. I get comments like turn up the radio. If it weren't for my bub's exhaust, it'd be driving me crazy!! Let me know what they try and if it works.

Eddie

1-859-749-0181

I believe with mine they had to wind up changing the final drive shaft. It is gone for now but it has developed the wheel of fortune clicking in the rear wheel.

Hey Eddy,

The whine from the rear can be the rear diff. I had the chirp and whine and had the "I" basket installed and the whine and chirp went completely away. On some bikes it just changes the whine to a different speed but mine was gone completely. After the 16,000 mile service I started getting a clicking in the rear end. The dealer said the rear pinyon was gone and replaced the rear diff. About 5,000 miles later I started getting a whine and thought it was the clutch basket so I asked the dealer if yamaha would replace the basket again. They checked the rear end and said the rear diff was gone again. About 5,000 miles after that the rear starting whinning again and finally got so bad it was screaming like a banshee. I took it to the dealer and the rear diff was gone again. To make a long story short I have 34,759 miles on my bike and have had 5 rear diffs installed. Two of those times a yamaha factory rep installed the rear diffs and drive shaft. My bike is in the shop now waiting for a factory rep to look at it again and decide if they are going to put the sixth rear diff in or exchange my bike for another one. The whine from the clutch basket has never come back at any speed. So, the whine can be the rear end and not the clutch basket.

I had the rear end changed out at 12000, everything.drive shaft, spindles, now at 20,000.

I've had the spindles greased 3 times, and going on the forth this weekend.

I change the shaft oil, every 4, 5000 miles, make sure there's no metal shavings on the magnet, I bought my own gear oil.

The dealer is supposed to have been greasing the spindles. I'm not standing there watching so I just hope and pray that's what they did. After reading you guys comments, it's making me a little hesitant for any long range travelling.

Eddie

Guest LeeAT

I talked to the Man working on my Venture to day they are bringing in some special tools to check the final drive "I think " He thought it was to tight fitting when he took it out. I also showed him this web site so maybe he will fill us all in on what he does to to help take the whine out of mine he did say changing the I basket did help some of the noise

The tech at our dealer that's gonna be working on my bike says he has some special grease he's gonna grease the spindles with and whatever else needs it. I don't really know what "special grease" is other than to make me feel better about this Venture...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LeeAT

Loose bearing in final drive noise is gone dealer installed a new final drive. I do have another question my rear tire is cupping dealer says low air pressure any other reason for it to cup

Loose bearing in final drive noise is gone dealer installed a new final drive. I do have another question my rear tire is cupping dealer says low air pressure any other reason for it to cup

Lee,

That is a common problem when a tire is run under inflated, but it's not always the case. I'm anal on tire pressures and some tires and the way the tread is designed causes them to cup after a certain amount of mileage. There are other variables like solo riding vs 2 up and loaded vs unloaded, but some times it's just the way that the tires deteriorates over time. Cupping will also give you the feeling like your steering head bearings are loose.

Guest LeeAT

thank you for the input I am guilty of not checking my tires we only have 2700 miles on it and ride 2 up most of the time I will be more carefull in the future about checking tire pressure. They quoted me about $200 for a new tire I can check the tires alot of times for that kind of money. I guess I have been so upset with the noise that I was not paying attention to the rest of the bike naughty me

Thanks again

Lee

Guest LeeAT

Mine took three weeks they changed the Clutch basket and most of the noise was still there than they were going to change the shims in the final drive and they did not get the number of shims they needed so they were looking at things futher and found a loose bearing so they called tech service and they sent a new final drive. your dealer may want it that long because of the time to get all the right parts in and test it if they are not sure on what they are looking for they should press tech service a little more I think they know more than what they are telling people. It did take care of the whining in mine still don't know why there would be a loose beaing

Lee

He probably wants to use it for the shop loaner for a while. :confused24:

Good luck with your solution... I had "I" basket installed and it didn't make any difference. It should only take a day to swap the basket. Long story short, I am told by dealer and Yamaha since there's no 'defect' my two choices were to live with the "I" basket noise or they would replace the "I" basket with the one they took out. Great, .. Do I want noisy basket A? OR noisy basket B? Saddest part is the Yamaha Customer Care Rep said, "I don't get people complaining about the noise on this bike." I use ear plugs and may start using a full face helmet. Never thought I'd say it,.. but I'm about done with bikes from Japan. Harleys are looking (and sounding) better and better all the time. The 08 Road Glide has EMACK written all over it.:080402gudl_prv:

Putting my RSTD in the shop for chirping and whining.Even with my Bubs it is driving me crazy.The dealed wants to keep it two weeks....can anyone think of why he would need it two weeks?:confused24:

Guest tx2sturgis

Im wondering if changing out the Venture rear for one of the V-Max rears cures any of this stuff? Besides a performance boost, maybe it cures some of the rear end whine and lube problems?

Anyone?

Hey guys,

My dealer changed the basket yesterday and if there's any improvement, I can't tell it. The tech told me the one he put in looks just like the one he took out, even though Yamaha told him would help. Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it until I see something I like more than the Venture.

Eddie

Im wondering if changing out the Venture rear for one of the V-Max rears cures any of this stuff? Besides a performance boost, maybe it cures some of the rear end whine and lube problems?

Anyone?

I can't honestly say because I've never had any issues with the chirping on my '99 or any problems with the rear end. If you have a noisy rear end, then it would likely help. I don't see it doing anything if you have the chirping problem except possibly moving it to a different RPM range.