IGNORED

Edset's Headset Group Purchase

Freebird

OK folks...some of you may remember that last fall I had posted my plans to do a group purchase of Edset's Headsets. After he told me that he was coming out with a new Third Generation product, I decided to wait.

Not only that but to be honest, I've tried a lot of headsets. J&M high and low ends, AirRider which are considered high end and EXPENSIVE, etc. etc. Regardless of if I paid a LOT or just a little, I have never been happy with what I got. So, I have really been on the fence about spending $200.00 for another set that would leave me wanting more.

Last week I broke down and ordered a set of Edset's. They came in yesterday and I found time to put them in today. I've got to tell you folks, I think we have a winner. These have the best sound that I have heard from any that I've tried. Bass is pretty good and the music is very clear. Haven't tried them yet for communications but to be honest, that was the least of my concern. I've found that most are fine for communications. He did tell me that the biggest complaint that he gets from new customers is that the mic is sensitive and he has to explain to people that you need to turn down your intercom with these because they don't require the volume that others do.

Now here is what I REALLY like about these. They are completely modular. If a speaker goes bad, you unplug and replace it. If the mic goes bad, you unplug and replace it. All connectors for the upper and lower cords are gold plated also. But what I REALLY like is the fact that on the back of the module is a 1/8" speaker jack. You can even buy these without speakers if you want to and plug your earbud speakers into the module. I bought the speakers but also plan to try them with some good earbud speakers. I think it will work GREAT. You can also plug an IPOD or other MP3 player into that same jack if you wish. These are just very versatile. That jack would be a great option for you first gen riders who don't have an auxiliary input.

So, I am planning to order another set for my wife's helmet and if there is any interest, I can put together a group purchase at this time. Price will depend upon what you want but the set I bought for an open face helmet with RCA microphone, speakers and speaker pouches came to about $210.00. I think I could get that down to about $180.00 plus shipping if I order 10 or more sets. I would have them all shipped to me and I would cover that shipping. Then to you would probably be about $7.50 or so in the USA. I will have to get a shipping price for Canada.

So...if you are interested... now is the time to speak up.

To see pictures and options, go to http://www.edsets.com

Don

I have had the edset headsets mounted in my Nolan for about two years....I love mine and wouldnt use any other....I ride with ear plugs in and they sound great...I to ponderd a long time before i finally decided on the edsets,I am glad i have

Guest Ken8143

I noticed there is an upper and a lower cord. Any problems with the wires breaking like I had happen multiple times with the J&K sets?

Put me down for a set. I am needing a set so might as well get the good stuff! Also what happened to the auto mute thingy that was supposed to be available about a year ago. Any word on that?

Dean

OK folks...some of you may remember that last fall I had posted my plans to do a group purchase of Edset's Headsets. After he told me that he was coming out with a new Third Generation product, I decided to wait.

Not only that but to be honest, I've tried a lot of headsets. J&M high and low ends, AirRider which are considered high end and EXPENSIVE, etc. etc. Regardless of if I paid a LOT or just a little, I have never been happy with what I got. So, I have really been on the fence about spending $200.00 for another set that would leave me wanting more.

Last week I broke down and ordered a set of Edset's. They came in yesterday and I found time to put them in today. I've got to tell you folks, I think we have a winner. These have the best sound that I have heard from any that I've tried. Bass is pretty good and the music is very clear. Haven't tried them yet for communications but to be honest, that was the least of my concern. I've found that most are fine for communications. He did tell me that the biggest complaint that he gets from new customers is that the mic is sensitive and he has to explain to people that you need to turn down your intercom with these because they don't require the volume that others do.

Now here is what I REALLY like about these. They are completely modular. If a speaker goes bad, you unplug and replace it. If the mic goes bad, you unplug and replace it. All connectors for the upper and lower cords are gold plated also. But what I REALLY like is the fact that on the back of the module is a 1/8" speaker jack. You can even buy these without speakers if you want to and plug your earbud speakers into the module. I bought the speakers but also plan to try them with some good earbud speakers. I think it will work GREAT. You can also plug an IPOD or other MP3 player into that same jack if you wish. These are just very versatile. That jack would be a great option for you first gen riders who don't have an auxiliary input.

So, I am planning to order another set for my wife's helmet and if there is any interest, I can put together a group purchase at this time. Price will depend upon what you want but the set I bought for an open face helmet with RCA microphone, speakers and speaker pouches came to about $210.00. I think I could get that down to about $180.00 plus shipping if I order 10 or more sets. I would have them all shipped to me and I would cover that shipping. Then to you would probably be about $7.50 or so in the USA. I will have to get a shipping price for Canada.

So...if you are interested... now is the time to speak up.

To see pictures and options, go to http://www.edsets.com

Don

Dang, is there that much of a sound clarity and "umph" difference? I enjoyed their comparison on their website. It's that is fairly close, I might definitely be interested in a pair - I might have to figure out a way to make them work with my Nolan - based upon what some of the small print said.

Put me down for a set. I am needing a set so might as well get the good stuff! Also what happened to the auto mute thingy that was supposed to be available about a year ago. Any word on that?

Dean

Sorry, I don't remember anything about an auto mute. Who was supposed to be coming out with that? I have the micmute but it's not auto.

Dang, is there that much of a sound clarity and "umph" difference? I enjoyed their comparison on their website. It's that is fairly close, I might definitely be interested in a pair - I might have to figure out a way to make them work with my Nolan - based upon what some of the small print said.

What kind of Nolan? I put it on my Nolan N42.

Got you down. Your post reminded me of another capability of these headsets. If you have somebody who rides with you every once in a while but doesn't have a headset, they can use a set of earbud type headsets and plug right into the auxiliary port on the back of your helmet. They won't have a microphone but will be able to hear the music and etc.

I have this helmet, and it has the pockets for the speakers..but I don't know if the mic from the edset, is long enough to use it on this helmet

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/showImage.jsp?image_type=fullsize&class_id=5936&rank=100

Don, I have the Nolan N102 - and had Sierra install the speakers/mike.

I'm also running a Nolan N100E flip. If there isn't a problem installing the system you can put me down for a set.... The stuff I have now is terrible....

He has a lot of confidence in his cords. They are made special from Kevlar reinforced wiring. Time will tell but I feel good about them.

My wife and I use Edsets and both helmet cords have broken more than once. The problem occurs from setting your helmet down with the upper cord connector between the helmet and whatever you place it on. The wires break at the connector or pull out of the connector. Ed replaced mine the first time it broke no questions asked. The second time mine broke (about two months later) I cut the connectors off upper and lower cords and soldered the wires together. I then epoxied the upper wires to the inside of my helmet shell under the padding. I still have the modular capabilities. I had to do the same to my wife's helmet as her mic wires went bad at the upper connector. We actually like this set-up better than with the connectors. We have the coiled cord hanging from our helmets all the time but that is not a problem as we will use them everytime we are on the bike anyway.

All this being said, we love the sound quality if our Edsets and would recommend them to anyone. If you have to do this mod (I think of it as an upgrade) it is not hard to do and it will eliminate any future wire breaking/pulling-out-of -the -connector problems.

just my 2 cents

Mike

Guest Ken8143

Don - couldn't quite tell from the pic - I have a full face Arai helmet. Does the entire system fit inside the helmet or is there a lump on the outside?

Okay, folks that are worried about the upper connector and cable. Just recently Ed has upgraded this cable. There is a video on his site of him torturing the new 2G cable:

http://edsets.com/video/2GCableTest.wmv

He commented that he never really liked the durability of the old cable.

Now for the customer service part of the deal. He replaced both of my headset cords with the 2G headset cords for the cost of shipping. Anyone who's headsets were still in warranty got this same deal. Ed is also very responsive if you have any problems.

I just got them as an "in case" as I always situate my helmet so it's not resting on the upper connector whenever possible.

Check out the video link I posted.

Don - couldn't quite tell from the pic - I have a full face Arai helmet. Does the entire system fit inside the helmet or is there a lump on the outside?

On the 3rd gen units, there is a module on the outside of the helmet. That's the one that I got.

I have this helmet, and it has the pockets for the speakers..but I don't know if the mic from the edset, is long enough to use it on this helmet

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/showImage.jsp?image_type=fullsize&class_id=5936&rank=100

I THINK they would work. Take a look at these pictures from the Edsets site. It shows some on a half helmet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/edsetsdude/ScorpionEvoHalf

Got you down. Your post reminded me of another capability of these headsets. If you have somebody who rides with you every once in a while but doesn't have a headset, they can use a set of earbud type headsets and plug right into the auxiliary port on the back of your helmet. They won't have a microphone but will be able to hear the music and etc.
hey don ,don't know a whole lot about elctronics. are these what i will need for the radio on my goldwing and is the plug universal for all bikes.if this is what i need i will take one set for now. thanks bill

Okay, folks that are worried about the upper connector and cable. Just recently Ed has upgraded this cable. There is a video on his site of him torturing the new 2G cable:

http://edsets.com/video/2GCableTest.wmv

He commented that he never really liked the durability of the old cable.

Now for the customer service part of the deal. He replaced both of my headset cords with the 2G headset cords for the cost of shipping. Anyone who's headsets were still in warranty got this same deal. Ed is also very responsive if you have any problems.

I just got them as an "in case" as I always situate my helmet so it's not resting on the upper connector whenever possible.

Check out the video link I posted.

That's all well and good but that isn't the cable that broke on me three times. It is the flat wire in the upper (in helmet) cable that breaks. Between the connector and the 3M locking thingy. The wires pull out of the connector that you plug the bottom curly wire connector. And I usually tried not to put my helmet down on the bottom but I got tired of buffing all the scratches out of the shell everytime I went to put my helmet on.:)