IGNORED

Avon vs. Michelin

Freebird

OK....I finally got my new tires mounted today. Local Honda shop is open until 8:00 and I managed to get home early enough to get the wheels off and get them over there, mounted and balanced and then got them back home and the bike is ready again.

This will be my test of the Avon's versus the Michelin's. I have been very pleased with the Michelin Commanders with my only very small complaint being that they did howl just a bit in the long curves. I liked them so much that deciding to try the Avon's was a tough decision for me. I've heard so many good reviews though that I decided to give them a try.

If they grip as well on the wet roads and give me decent mileage then that will be fine. If they are quiet in the curves also, that will be icing on the cake. We'll see.

By the way, I do have the leveling links and once again went with the 150 (stock) size tire on the front.

Hey Don i just got my installed Avons today also. They are sure slick coming out of the gate. Road fine and am running for 2 up light with 41lb in the front and 46 lb in the back. That sound about right?

Moakster

My opinion Only Don,Run what it says on the sidewall,max pressure. Some say Avon says add LBS,in my opinion that is that persons opinion,I think Avon did research in a lab to determine Max pressure. Again,That is my opinion. (also works great for me at max pressure on sidewall)

Watch the Avons for the first 50 to 100 miles. They will be slick till you rough them up some. I am running the Commanders now and can agree on the howl in the curves. I don't think they stick as good as the Avons on dry roads. I've brokern the rear end free a couple of times at low speed with the Commanders on dry pavement. Not sure if its the type of asphalt they use here or the tires but I'm not real confident in any curve with them on right now. Going back to the Avons in a couple of weeks

So what Avons did you go with Freebird?

BuddyRich, I have over 50,000 miles on Commanders and have never even come close to breaking the rear loose on wet or dry pavement, not sure what might be going on with yours. The only time I have ever had it break loose was crossing a section of road in the rain that had just been paved and the paint was new and the MORONS didn't put any sand on top of the paint before it dried. Nothing but slick rain soaked paint. Plus the oils from the fresh pavement leaching to the surface.

All I know is that Avon Venoms didn't feel good to me when I put the bike into a sweeping turn. They felt hard to get the bike into the turn and then all of a sudden the bike snaps farther over and it was an uneasy feeling getting the bike upright again. The contour of the tire is what I didn't like.

That's why I'm not sure about the tires. Taking off from a mall parking lot, slight turn to the right, and slightly off camber. Rear broke loose under moderate power. I think it maybe the road composition here but not sure. There's very few concrete roads in San Antonio. I know it wasn't oil as I'm pretty careful to watch for the oily areas at intersections and any place traffic stops on a regular basis. Did the same thing on a different road but the road was the same type of composition .

And I know they are slippery in mud...:rotf:

Hey Don i just got my installed Avons today also. They are sure slick coming out of the gate. Road fine and am running for 2 up light with 41lb in the front and 46 lb in the back. That sound about right?

Moakster

Those are excellent tire pressures to start with on the Venoms. Some here will tell you to run at max sidewall on these tires, but I strongly believe NOT. If you decide to try that, make sure you do a before and after comparison in some long sweepers with rough road surface. I find that with the bike loaded in these conditions and running 50 lbs in the rear, the bike is twitchy and feels a bit like it is flexing. Dropping the rear to anything under 48 lbs totally solves that problem. Interestingly, I recently experienced the same thing with new Pirelli tires when the rear was inflated too much. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Freebird, let me know how your new tires are doing i will be going to a new tire next year. i need your info on your tires. Bridgestones on now. 2nd one on Back. Got about 10,000 on last tire.

How about--- Dunlop//// Metzeler 880s

From the Avon tire site:

Avon Fitments For Yamaha

XVZ 1300 Royal Star, Venture, Classic, Tour Deluxe

Front Tyres » Venom

Size 150/80-16 71H

2.5 bar (36psi)

Rear tyres » Venom

Size 150/90B15 M/C 80H

2.9 bar (42psi)

I run 41 psi in the front and 46 psi in the rear per Yamaha's recommendation to increase tire pressure under high load. These pressures work great for me around town or in the twisties. I went back to the 150 size front tire and I am totally happy with it when combined with the leveling links.

Freebird, let me know how your new tires are doing i will be going to a new tire next year. i need your info on your tires. Bridgestones on now. 2nd one on Back. Got about 10,000 on last tire.

How about--- Dunlop//// Metzeler 880s

Bridgestones - DO NOT BUY ANOTHER ONE.. It is universally known as a bad tire.. Cupping, noisey, slippery when wet, etc. I have only heard of 1 rider that had anything good to say about Bridgestones.. If anyone disagrees please post here.

Metzelers - I won't run Metzelers on my RSV... Too many horror stories of ply separation and throwing chunks.. Some dismiss the stories as underinflated overloaded bikes but I ain't taking any chances.

Dunlop 404s.. I've done over 50,000 miles on these without any issues and love them and are a bigtime improvement over your Bridgestones and it will feel like a new bike if you decide to upgrade to them.. The D404s are not a high mileage tire but I ride my RSV pretty hard and prefer stickyness over high mileage.. They're cheaper than any other major brand and some other riders will dismiss them as a "cheap" "OEM" tire but they work for me.. When I'm going hot into a curve they're alot steadier than the Avons I have now and require less adjustments. I have Avons on now with the smaller front tire and don't think they handle as well as the 404s especially on wet roads. As soon as these Avons wear out I'll be going back to the D404s probably the WWW.

Don't go by just me... Do some homework.. use the Search feature here and check other sites and see what other riders prefer.

Good luck

I tend to go with max sidewall listed pressure.

When I mounted my 2nd rear Venom in 2 weeks (picked up a 2" drywall screw @ 450mi:mad:)

I took the wheel over to Costco and they were happy to air it up with nitrogen. Seems to make a difference of about 2# in the hot pressure. If you never checked pressure after a 2up ride on a hot day you will be amazed.

Well we will see how the Avon's perform this weekend at these pressures. We have a ride on Saturday that should cover a couple hundred miles through the twisties and long highway sweeps. They are replacing the Dunlop 404 that I had no issues with and handled great. I'm looking for some marked improvement over the Dunlop. If not I guess I will go back to Dunlop's.

Moakster

Well we will see how the Avon's perform this weekend at these pressures. We have a ride on Saturday that should cover a couple hundred miles through the twisties and long highway sweeps. They are replacing the Dunlop 404 that I had no issues with and handled great. I'm looking for some marked improvement over the Dunlop. If not I guess I will go back to Dunlop's.

Moakster

Moakster..Make sure as someone mentioned to wear off that slick mess that is on the tire when new..I actually take sand paper and sad all the area hoitting the road when they are fresh..I know thats overboard but after V7 going down on a fresh set of tires and I felt it on the way home after install,I got tire religion FAST. After that mess is off the tire It handles like a dream thru the curves. The Dunlops I had only one complaint and that was when I hit the road snakes the dunlops were trying to ride in every groove,the Avons you can(Not Advised) let go of the handlebars and it will keep a staright line thru those roadsnakes.( when construction crews scrape the road and leave all the squigley grooves)

All you Guys, got good advice, So when you get all the info on your Venom tires pass the info to (The Treeman ) Dunlop or Avon Venom tires

Dunlop 404s

avon Venom -------- RSV Am42-150/90/HB 15 Rear

AM41-150/80-16 front

I will take it careful. My speed and cornering governor sits behind me and is quite touchy to speed and leans. She lets me know when she has had enough and I take it easy from there so there should not be any problems, ( I Hope) I'll let everyone know how they pan out for me when we get back.

Moakster:cool10:

Well I got talked into the Avons.......and I have to say I love em ...been in wet weather ..pulling a trailer and I have a lot more confindence then before ...if I get the mileage out of them I"ll go with another set ...otherwise I think I"ll try the commanders this time round!!..Shouldn't have to change out tires this year ...no real longs trips planned as of yet ...may head to Texas this fall ....not sure as of now!