IGNORED

My Rear Shock Update

Ok guys as a few know I finally had my shock blow..Just sitting in the garage overnight then next morning BIG oil spot directly under the shock. Anyway I loaded it up took to Yamaha to be told its on backorder and has been awhile. MAD..I was fuming when they leisurely said "we dont know when they will be released". That isnt good enough for me so I called Yamaha Corporate and TRIED to be civil and finally told them I was gonna get the works performance shock..I knew they would not pay for it...Guess what,at least They paid their cost on a new shock and had my dealer cut me a check for that amount..Not the best deal in the world but at least I didnt have to pay for the whole thing. I may could have pushed the issue but I NEED my bike and I feel I am getting a much better shock.....Now I have vented AND given credit to Yamaha. Tom....By the way, A BIG THANK YOU TO RICK AT BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE FOR HIS EFFORTS IN GETTING ME SETUP AND MAYBE HAVE IT IN 2 WEEKS...MAYBE. Tom

......Guess what,at least They paid their cost on a new shock and had my dealer cut me a check for that amount..Not the best deal in the world but at least I didnt have to pay for the whole thing. ....

WRONG !!!

That is by far the best Deal you could have accomplished !!!

Now you will have a better working and not failing Shock at very low Costs for you. Even if the Shock will fail sometime in 10 Years or so, you will be able to get it repaired at minimal Costs. That's a way better Deal than you would have made with a new Yammi Shock.

Good job Tom!! When mine blew it still held air but all the fluid drained. Mine went so slowly that I didn't really notice the ride going bad.. That is until I had the new one installed... WOW what a difference.

I guess that means you won't be able to hook up with us on the 6th or 7th of June?[/quote

I am gonna do my best to have something to ride heck I might just buy a Vespa to scoot on! I am going to rent a Harley if my shock isnt ready by the 13th I went and sat on the rental GW today and it just hurts my knees too bad,nice bike other that that. Ive ridden Harleys and it will do OK,a little small but OK ride.Squeze and Maineac, I really didnt think Yamaha would do it but I just asked them how would they feel if it were them? Absolutely NO idea of when they would have a replacement shock? I told them that is just WRONG so cudos to them for working with me! I hope I like the shock as much as everyone says,just glad it didnt happen 2000 miles from home! Tom

Tom could you provide a link to finding that new shock? I'm thinking about getting one just in case my rear shock goes out......

Regards..........Boomer

Boomer, www.buckeyeperformance.com He is also cheaper,dont get me wrong the shock is EXPENSIVE talk to Rick there,but it is being built for my weight ,wifes wt., and cargo,trailer specs. Tom

So you got an after-market shock that is better and Yamaha helped pay for it? That sounds like a heck of a great deal to me.

Yep gave me a check at local dealer authorized by Yamaha Corporate for $325.00...I feel they were very fair as they did not have to do that at all,especially aftermarket but it did irritate me when he said he only knew of 2 cases where shocks went bad...After pinning him to look at his backorders he has I think he said 7 in his region on backorder and No release date.

So you got an after-market shock that is better and Yamaha helped pay for it? That sounds like a heck of a great deal to me.

Sounds a bit to me like maybe Yamahahaha admits that its shock is crap, and only wishes it could build one like Works does? Why the heck doesn't Yamahahaha just out-source the shock to Works to make the bike a 100% machine.

My rear shock crapped out at 29,000kms. Replaced it with a genuine unit from Yamahaha, only because I couldn't at that time afford the Works unit.

And - I bought it from FlatOut in the States. (Thanks Chris!)

Hay Tom.

Mine blew last week. Went to Houston Motorsports for a new one. Brian (service mgr.) said he didn't stock it, but would order it. He said it would be here in a few days. He didn't say anything about a back order. He did say that it would be a three week turnaround on service though.

That was Friday. I called Today (Wednesday) to check on it. He said it came in Today. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I will install. Not gonna wait three weeks for something I can do myself. I removed the old one tonight. It took about ten minutes to get it off.

By the way the service manual says to remove the rear tire and fender. Hogwash! I pulled the passenger boards and frame covers and the upper mount was easily reached.

I don't know why your dealer has trouble getting the shock?????

I do like the idea of getting the Performance Works shock. I know you'll be happy with it.

Ponch :big-grin-emoticon:

Hay Tom.

Mine blew last week. Went to Houston Motorsports for a new one. Brian (service mgr.) said he didn't stock it, but would order it. He said it would be here in a few days. He didn't say anything about a back order. He did say that it would be a three week turnaround on service though.

That was Friday. I called Today (Wednesday) to check on it. He said it came in Today. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I will install. Not gonna wait three weeks for something I can do myself. I removed the old one tonight. It took about ten minutes to get it off.

By the way the service manual says to remove the rear tire and fender. Hogwash! I pulled the passenger boards and frame covers and the upper mount was easily reached.

I don't know why your dealer has trouble getting the shock?????

I do like the idea of getting the Performance Works shock. I know you'll be happy with it.

Ponch :big-grin-emoticon:

If they dont install mine for free I may be burning up the phone line getting instructions Ponch! Tom