IGNORED

Kelly Blue Book?????

Wolfie

Letting off some steam here...sorry.

What good is having a blue book value for trade in if a dealer won't use it? Instead they use some auction thingy. Kelly blue book rates my 07 Chevy Equinox for $16,000, I went to try to trade for a 08 Wrangler and at first they only offered 11,000. I told them no, KBB say's its worth 16 and they left for another 15 minutes. Came back and said the very most they could give me was 12,000. They showed me what they use, a sheet showing what they can buy my car at a dealer auction for. They said 11 was high and he went above his boss and offered the 12. This is total bull. I am a cash paying customer, no financing, I was there most of the day on Sat. and there from 1:30 to 4:00 today and these JERKS have the nerve to try and sell me this Jeep for sticker price and offer me below Blue book trade in value on my one year old car. Sorry for ranting but I am just soooo peeved at the situation.

:mad::mad::mad::crying:

I know what you mean. It is frustrating. Some dealers will use Kelly Blue Book but then deduct for every little blemish they can find or make up. More dealers use the NADA book but by far, the majority use the real time auction info. When I worked for a Chevy dealer, we always looked them up on the auction site. It is a dealer only subscription service and you can see what a model with similar miles sold for that week. Very up to date. The problem with that is that you really don't know what those looked like. They give a basic rating but I've seen them vary widely.

The other thing is, on a late model vehicle like yours, they are likely going to sell it on their used car lot and NOT take it to the auction. They try to buy at auction prices just in case they end up sitting on it too long and decide to move it via auction.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't trade it unless I could find a dealer that is more hungry. Be prepared though because I've found that most use the same general rules. NO WAY though should they be offering you auction price and refusing to come off sticker on theirs.

Keep looking and you will find someone with a better deal than that.

Sometimes it takes a while. You keep going back to that dealer and he knows he's got you on the hook..

I don't like car salesmen and they don't like me. I would never spend that much time in a dealership either.

Good Luck,

Jerry

I am going to jump in here and probably get into trouble. I buy cars and appraise them for a large dealership. The KBB (Kelly Blue Book) is generally not very accurate. I use Black Book and Manheim on Line. Also my gut reaction to a car. When we look at a car we try to think about what we could buy a similar car for at auction (it is a great market for cars) and what we can sell it for. Please keep in mind that it costs a great deal of money to run a dealership. We generally estimate that for the actual cost of taking a car in to finally retailing it we have to sell it for about $3,000 more than we buy it for.

A dealer is buying your car and you need to remember that there are two transactions taking place. You are selling your car to the dealer and he is selling a car to you. He also provides a warranty(on used cars) and repairs them. He has to pay taxes and salaries, etc. He is not trying to steal your car. He would much rather have you for a life long customer.

I have yet to meet a customer that says I am putting too much into his car and selling mine for too little. You need to negotiate and be polite, but be realistic in your expectations. Check with several dealers about the actual cash wholesale value of your car. Remember he is a retail seller and buys at wholesale prices. If you want retail for your car, you are going to need to offer all of the services he does.

I know this does not get you any more for your car, but might give you a better persective. Good luck.

ok, you are the one screwing the dealer!!!by paying cash you have cheated him out of his commision on getting you financed. you want what your car is worth to another person but not to the dealer. you should go back and take their offer and let them finance it for you for 6 yrs.LOL!!! i use to buy and sell cars personally just to make a few $s extra and thats about all you can make, i mostly enjoyed fixing them up. like others has said just try looking around for a better deal, you'd probally be better off selling your's and buy with all cash. hope you find a good deal.

Just a thought, if you don't like what the dealer is offering you, sell it yourself. Advertise it ($$) continue to insure it while you wait for it to sell ($$) be available to show it (TIME & $$) And be prepared to deal with your "customers" who want to pay as little as possible (as you do). Try eBay, see what kind of $$ people offer you there.

Do you happen to be a Costco or Sam'sClub member? If so you should take advantage of their car buying program. You'll pay just over dealer invoice for the new car and yo'll get as good a deal as anywhere on your trade-in.

Here are a couple favorite lines of mine. "Unless you can make me an offer I can't refuse, I'm going to have to let it set there." And, "That's not good enough, I can still refuse that." And if they still don't want your business, walk away with YOUR money in YOUR pocket.

Go to a different dealer. Or sell it yourself and then go to a different dealer with cash in hand and be ready to leave if they don't make a deal you feel happy with. Always say no 3 times. It takes time but if it saves you a couple of grand then it maybe be worth it.

Its my understanding and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that dealers are shying away from taking Trucks/SUV's or lowballing because they dont want them sitting in their lots cause no ones buying them. (Their not in business to lose money.) I recently bought a used Honda Civic in Philidelphia and drove it back to Illinois (darn thing gets 43 mpg on the highway better then my 1st Gen 38mpg whats wrong with that picture.) The dealer I bought it from was telling me the books are a little off now because interest in 4cylinders is way up and the prices will go up and trucks are going to drop like a stone.

With gas prices the way they are you might be lucky to sell it. I parked my Ford F350 diesel, diesel's way to expensive in Illinois 4.50+ a gallon. I drive a hundred miles a day and it was costing me $175 bucks a week for fuel now with the Civic its more like $60. I've found many use the black book that you cant get ahold of and those prices are much lower then blue book or they use auction stats.

Edited by CrazyHorse

do a "rfp" aka Request for Price ... specify what you want to buy with options you want. Send it out to 5 dealers. Tell them you're paying cash / no trade and make sure you tell them that theirs is not the only dealer you're sending the rfp to. You'll be surprised the variation in the prices.

Then, sell your trade yourself and go buy at the one with the lowest price. You'll save a lot of bucks.

Get interim financing to cover the value of your trade so that you get the new vehicle now and can focus on selling your trade while at the same time, not driving it...keeping it clean and presentable to prospective buyers. It sometimes takes quite a while to sell a vehicle... took me 3 month's to sell our 2004 Aveo... didn't get as much as I'd like to have gotten but there were at least 27 other '04 Aveo's in just one used vehicle publication for this area. In the meantime, we are driving our "new" truck and the Aveo didn't get used.

Guest cwil2988

Get two dealers with the same vehicle, and start going back and forth between the two, see if you get what you want that way. I did it once, and saved about 5000 dollars off sticker and got a fair deal on my trade.

Then, sell your trade yourself and go buy at the one with the lowest price. You'll save a lot of bucks.

OR take the lowest price and bring it to your local dealer to see if they will beat it.....they usually do.

I saved THOUSANDS on each of my 2005 Honda Odyssey, 2006 Honda Accord and 2007 RSV that way!!!!!!!!