IGNORED

the best documentary on the war in the Pacific

Patch

I've been holding on to this clip for a while waiting for the time...

First it has to be the best put together documentary I have watched on the pacific war.

Secondly when we see the youthful faces I find it above me to string words worthy of such determination and team courage.

What couldn't be spent in dollars was spent in blood.

1.5 hours

Our leaders or so called politicians always send our youth in to get them out of a jam or do their dirty work.:starz:

My Dad and multiple uncles were in WWII. My dad and his brother both volunteered and said they knew why they needed to fight, they didn't need a Draft Sargent to tell them why. Also, remember that while some politicians hid their sons from the draft many others did not. Sending your own sons and family cannot be easy. Wow, this is pretty much the extend of my defending Politicians.

My dad joined the Navy at 16 and not much later he was in Times Square when it was announced about Pearl Harbor. After that, he spent his entire time in the pacific theater and was at Guadalcanal when the war ended. He did not talk very much about that time, but on one occasion, he did describe standing on the beach looking out over a bay area with a supply ship sitting there. He said that all of a sudden, the ship turned cherry red and blew all to pieces. He said there were body parts floating everywhere in the water.

I wish there had been some of the documentaries on TV earlier as there are now about that time that I could have shared with him.. Due to him joining and not being drafted, when the war ended, he had to serve out his six years instead of going home like the draftees did. My dad died in 2000 and definitely was part of the greatest generation.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

There has always been a draw to the events of the war in the Pacific for me as far back as I can remember.

Can it be the treachery surrounding it that brings this edgy feel when watching these doc's?

I've watch British ones as well, hard times certainly but the keen "count on US coming" is just not present in them.

I have one on the Fletcher Class, what an amazing story of defined courage! Captain Johnson??? I think

I can dig it up if yo'll interested.

This one I find very striking, way to many assumptions made and a lack of will to fight back. This was before 41, the allies without the U.S.

This is an older video:

The Cronkite video was interesting in that it covered some of the strategic planning. He didn't discuss the battle of the Coral Sea which took place before Midway. That naval battle turned the Japanese back from establishing a base from which they could invade Australia and it also removed a couple of carriers from the ships the Japanese had to fight the Battle of Midway. One of our carriers, the Yorktown was damaged in the battle of the coral sea but was quickly patched up and fought again in Midway. However, it did get sunk in Midway. The victory of Battle of Midway is a fascinating story of courage, luck, and maybe a divine hand.

My dad joined the Navy at 16 and not much later he was in Times Square when it was announced about Pearl Harbor. After that, he spent his entire time in the pacific theater and was at Guadalcanal when the war ended. He did not talk very much about that time, but on one occasion, he did describe standing on the beach looking out over a bay area with a supply ship sitting there. He said that all of a sudden, the ship turned cherry red and blew all to pieces. He said there were body parts floating everywhere in the water.

I wish there had been some of the documentaries on TV earlier as there are now about that time that I could shared with him.. Due to him joining and not being drafted, when the war ended, he had to serve out his six years instead of going home like the draftees did. My dad died in 2000 and definitely was part of the greatest generation.

Randy

Neither my Dad or my Uncle talked about what they saw and did in the war. A couple of my related stories: The first centers on the after effects even decades later. We had a small mobile home that we would use to visit my Uncle in WV. On one such trip we got a flat and after changing the tire and getting to my uncles place we called around to find someone that had the tire in stock and could do the work. We get to the garage and the place used an air impact driver to take off the lugs. When it first hit both my dad and my uncle hit the ground, flat, with their heads swiveling around. I was 13 or so at the time and didn't put 2 and 2 together until I was told why later that day. Second was when I was in HS. I started monkeying around with computers when I was 14. This included a visit to the house by a guy in a suit because I had connected to a gov't computer. Nothing happened other than my Dad telling me to 'turn everything off, NOW'. I was also pretty active in sports with multi year letters in multiple sports. This got the attention of the Draft Sergeants who were all over me to join the various branches. The Draft had been terminated recently so they kept promising all kinds of stuff since I had 'Computer knowledge'. Even said I would be a LT right out of basic. He was adamant that I not sign up at all. Even telling them to get the 'ef' out of our house and off our property. That's one word I don't ever remember him using except then. He basically told me that based on his experience he didn't want me to have anything to do with the military. He was very vocal about 'those bast*** in command'. At times I wish he would have told us more but. . . . .

My Dad and multiple uncles were in WWII. My dad and his brother both volunteered and said they knew why they needed to fight, they didn't need a Draft Sargent to tell them why. Also, remember that while some politicians hid their sons from the draft many others did not. Sending your own sons and family cannot be easy. Wow, this is pretty much the extend of my defending Politicians.

Well I guess you could call me a "Draft Sergeant" I was drafted and made sergeant E-5 in 18 months. We got a Commander In Chief that I doubt would send his sons in harms way unless they were going after some cash.

The "Divide and Conquer" video was educational to me. I never knew that much detail on just how cruel Hitler and the Nazis were when they invaded the rest of Europe. A surprise attack gives you a huge advantage especially when you don't care about the private citizens. But Hitler's arrogance brought him down when he attacked Russia and when he went up against the British Spitfires.

The "Divide and Conquer" video was educational to me. I never knew that much detail on just how cruel Hitler and the Nazis were when they invaded the rest of Europe. A surprise attack gives you a huge advantage especially when you don't care about the private citizens. But Hitler's arrogance brought him down when he attacked Russia and when he went up against the British Spitfires.

Yup, I thought so too.

The blanket of deception is simply disgusting!

So much of that war could have been altered if people had only been less complacent at the start.

Crazy is Crazy, just dangerous period.

I've been holding on to this clip for a while waiting for the time...

First it has to be the best put together documentary I have watched on the pacific war.

Secondly when we see the youthful faces I find it above me to string words worthy of such determination and team courage.

What couldn't be spent in dollars was spent in blood.

1.5 hours

I'm a huge history buff, especially the period from 1914-1945. I've seen this clip. I too am awestruck at the young men who kicked *ss and took names. I'm full of admiration and respect for these gentlemen.

I'm a huge history buff, especially the period from 1914-1945. I've seen this clip. I too am awestruck at the young men who kicked *ss and took names. I'm full of admiration and respect for these gentlemen.

Nice thanks for sharing that!

Interested to hear opinion on the second vid as well..

Now because you mention 1914 is history repeating its thinking as it pertains to the Spanish flue encounter in the 1st WW?