IGNORED

Custom Turn Signal Light Suggestions

petekadish

Hi Guys!

I just got my new cooler rack from Al's Motorcycle Accesories (Wow he does nice work!) Now, with the cooler sitting in the rack it (of course) blocks my turn signal lights. So, I would like to hook-up a couple of LED turn-signals to the back of the rack.

My Diamond-R LED brakelight which is mounted under the trunk, takes care my brakelight issues, so now I just need some LED, turn signal lights which look complementary to everything else back there. Hopefully, I can find ones which can be mounted flush against the mesh along the backside of my cooler rack. Power for the cooler rack lights will come from my trailer hitch power plug.

Please, let me know if you have any suggestions. I don't want to spend too much on them, but I do want them to look like they were meant to be there.

I will attach a couple of pics so that you can get a better idea of what I'm working with.

Thanks in advance & Be Safe!

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis

Meanwhile, I'm curious which receiver hitch you are using. Is it the Venturedad, or something else? Im curious because I have the VentureDad hitch, and I dont know if the hitch will support a large or medium sized cooler back there, on a rack like that.

So..what hitch did you mount?

The party begins as soon as the rubber hits the road. This weekend, it's supposed to be about eighty degrees for our chapter ride. I think this will feel like our first summer-day type ride. It's been a slow-coming spring so far. This morning it even snowed in Salt Lake City. Springtime in the rockies, I guess.

Pete.

Yep! It's a Venturedad and it won't have any problem supporting the cooler rack and or the cooler rack mounted on the trailer arm. I went with Venturedad specifically because I know a number of people successfully using the same set-up. I figured that it was a safe bet. I'm also setting things up so that I can swap the cooler rack between the trailer arm, or just carrying the cooler solo by just undoing a couple of bolts.

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis

Pete, my concern for the VentureDad is not the hitch itself, which is very sturdy, but rather the bolts that will have shearing force applied to them on every bump in the road. When pulling a trailer, the greatest forces applied are longitudinal, but not 'twisting'...at least not much. With a cooler, the forces applied are a shearing force, across the bolt threads directly.

I'm wondering, would it make sense to use some grade 8 bolts with locktite or nylock nuts? I cant remember if the hitch came with nylocks...anyway, something to ponder.

I'm into this pondering stuff, you can tell.

:think:

The hitch did not come with Nylock nuts, but that's what I purchased to use with this project. As far as sheering forces are concerned ..., huummm? I don't really know. Im certainly no engineer. But like I mentioned, a number of my other friends have been using this same set up for a long time and throughout many miles with no problems thus far. So, I'm inclined to think that it's a reasonable risk. I do however appreciate the thoughts of concern. I'll be sure to keep an extra eye out for any signs of stress or wear. Of course, if the bolts shear-off, I suppose that there won't be a lot of time to watch anything except my rear-view mirrors.

Be Safe!

Pete.

As long as the bolts that attach the hitch are kept tight there will not be enough shearing force to break them. If you are concerned, just swap em out with grade 8, locktite em good and put the wrench to em. The cooler rack wont have near the jolting force that a trailer will and I've not heard of anyone breaking them with a trailer.

Just my nickel's worth.:080402gudl_prv: