IGNORED

RSV and Vmax

Red Ryder

Hey all,

was thinking about our 2008 out west trip with the 03 RSV on two wheels vs the 2019 yellowstone trip with the 03 RSV-Hannigan Trike. Of course we were fully loaded each trip, and out west it is fast speeds.

On two wheels it seemed I always had enough power, but with the trike I was Constantly Shifting into 4th gear going up and down hills, and into 3rd gear when passing up hills.

So, was wondering does the RSV have the same heads, crankshaft, pistons, rods, valves, lifters as a Vmax?

How much of an improvement would Vmax cams and springs be? What about carbs, needles, etc?

Was almost thinking gas milage would improve with engine upgrades by the engine not working as hard, am I thinking right?

Appreciate your thoughts-

I know the heads are different, the exhausts are ported out differently and to put VMAX heads on a Royal Star requires major frame modifications.

Camshaft should be interchangeable but you would also need the VMAX springs so you do not float a valve, I am not sure about the rest of it.

Some where on here there was a post about a fellow in England that did stuff a VMAX motor in s Royal Star and a former member was in the middle of doing just that before he opted out from the forum.

Search for posts by Dingy you may find some of his old posts with photos of Sylvester and Tweety.

I do not know why he left, but I did bump into him the other day on one of the Goldwing forums, he still has Tweety and also has a Goldwing, I forget what year , but it is an 1800.

You can google Royal Star BatMan or Neutron Star both have VMax motors grafted into a Royal Star, will give you visual on what is involved with getting the exhaust headers out because of the frame and the heads.

I do not know why he left, but I did bump into him the other day on one of the Goldwing forums, he still has Tweety and also has a Goldwing, I forget what year , but it is an 1800.

You can google Royal Star BatMan or Neutron Star both have VMax motors grafted into a Royal Star, will give you visual on what is involved with getting the exhaust headers out because of the frame and the heads.

Thanks again Steve, did a little read on both those bikes, Wow, that is some serious builds.

Those builds are more than what I need to do, but will say that would be fun popping the front wheel off the ground with ease.

Realistically, only need more hp to help with the additional 400lbs of weight from the trike. Any suggestions would be great?

But then again, a Vmax trike......

But then again, a Vmax trike......

Or a Goldwing trike?

Valkyrie trike if you still want "cruiser" looks, but that's only a 1500 vs the 1800 in the newer wings.

If you really wanna go bonkers Triumph Rocket with the 2.3L I-3 motor. I spoke to someone a few years bake on why he sold his Wing & HD for a Triumph when those were fully outfitted touring rigs vs a bagger. He pulled a camper behind the bike and it was the only thing that could keep an 85mph clip through the mountains.

The rear gear ratio change would certainly solve the situation, but must be tempered with planning. You can get the ratio so deep that fuel economy would tank. I would think that if you only needed to shift to fourth (which is an OD on the 2nd gen) you would do great. On a two wheel Venture some have gone to the V-max rear when towing and two up riding. That change put 5th gear around the fourth gear. Freebird had this mod on his first 2nd gen. (I believe).

:farmer:

Thank You Bill, CJ, and Jim. Think the goldwing, valkyrie and triumph are great bikes, but prefer legs out front when shifting.

Makes sence Jim for different hannigan axle ratio.

Wonder if combination of vmax cams and springs along with different rear axle would be a huge improvement?

Later-

Hey James,

Although the VMAX heads are not a direct bolt on swap on a Second Gen. do to the fact that the heads are part of the connection to the frame of the engine, unlike the First Gen. Venture and VMAX.

The larger Intake and Exhaust Valves of the VMAX Head can be installed in the Second Gen. Head with some machining of the Intake and Exhaust Ports. I am not going to say that you won't see an increase in power by installing just the VMAX Cams in a set of Second Gen. Heads, BUT to get the full effect of those hotter cams you need to increase the amount of air flow through the stock Second Gen. Heads, and enlarging the Intake and Exhaust Ports is the way to do that. There are a few VMAX Performance shops that can do that work for you. A set of exhausts with less restricted air flow would also benefit that head work. Also the Carbs. being rejetted would be another power increase to explore. If I remember correctly, the rear differential in the Hannigan is a late 90's to mid 2000 Ford T-Bird independent rear suspension which can have several Ring and Pinion combinations. The proper set-up of a ring and pinion in a rear differential is not a "shade tree mechanic" project though. Not only would you be buying the ring and pinion gear set, but the install as well. The cheap way to do this upgrade would be to purchase a set of used VMAX heads for the Cams, HD springs, and Intake and Exhaust Valves. Remove the engine from your bike, remove the stock heads, have them machined, Install the Cams, Springs, and Intake and Exhaust Valves, reinstall the heads, and reinstall the engine. While the engine is out I would have the Carb. work done as well. The replacement of the ring and pinion would require the differential to be removed, a new ring and pinion purchased, and the set-up of said ring and pinion, and the reinstall of the Differential. A set of Harley exhaust mufflers would be a good starting point for the exhaust. I believe JOHN at PCW Racing would be an excellent contact for the Head Machining, and he MIGHT be able to supply the donor heads for you as well. John does EXCELLENT work, but it is not a hobby for him, he has a business so therefor you will be paying for his knowledge and skill. His number is: 518-346-7203. Mentioning my name and the fact that you are a VR.ORG Member will give you street credit for sure. He MAY even know of someone that can do the Differential work for you as well.

Now for the reality check here James, you will most definitely be into this project for several thousand dollars EVEN if you pull the engine and Differential yourself! So you need to ask yourself this question, "is it better to upgrade my RSV or purchase a Goldwing"? Only YOU can answer that question!

This next part, I only mention to give you some perspective. I have an 87'VR that has been "full tilt" modded, VMAX Heads, Shaved Block, Jetted Carbs. FJR Final Drive, 15" rear wheel and NOS. It is the fastest Venture in my area, BUT any solid running Yamaha R1 or FJR1300 will leave me in the dust above 140 MPH because of their 6 speed gearbox and more horsepower. Period! Am I sorry I put ALL of that time and money into my 87VR, not on your life! I'll be 64 next week, and frankly the times my Venture sees 145 MPH are MUCH fewer and farther between than they were just 10 years ago! I personally hand built my motorcycle to be an extension of myself, and I wouldn't trade that memory of that project for the world! BUT if I just wanted to pull my trailer to go camping, I might have considered purchasing a WING!! Just sayin' James!

These are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Earl

As far as cam swaps, what you are looking for is more bottom end torque. To go to a higher lift, longer duration cam profile, as is a Vmax, you may even see a bottom end reduction in torque. That type cam is more for higher RPM usage and I don't think that is what you are looking for. It may help to know what the final drive ratio is on your trike and maybe see if a lower gear ratio is available. It sounds like you are lugging a bit with the extra weight and running gear.

Randy

Hey James,

Although the VMAX heads are not a direct bolt on swap on a Second Gen. do to the fact that the heads are part of the connection to the frame of the engine, unlike the First Gen. Venture and VMAX.

The larger Intake and Exhaust Valves of the VMAX Head can be installed in the Second Gen. Head with some machining of the Intake and Exhaust Ports. I am not going to say that you won't see an increase in power by installing just the VMAX Cams in a set of Second Gen. Heads, BUT to get the full effect of those hotter cams you need to increase the amount of air flow through the stock Second Gen. Heads, and enlarging the Intake and Exhaust Ports is the way to do that. There are a few VMAX Performance shops that can do that work for you. A set of exhausts with less restricted air flow would also benefit that head work. Also the Carbs. being rejetted would be another power increase to explore. If I remember correctly, the rear differential in the Hannigan is a late 90's to mid 2000 Ford T-Bird independent rear suspension which can have several Ring and Pinion combinations. The proper set-up of a ring and pinion in a rear differential is not a "shade tree mechanic" project though. Not only would you be buying the ring and pinion gear set, but the install as well. The cheap way to do this upgrade would be to purchase a set of used VMAX heads for the Cams, HD springs, and Intake and Exhaust Valves. Remove the engine from your bike, remove the stock heads, have them machined, Install the Cams, Springs, and Intake and Exhaust Valves, reinstall the heads, and reinstall the engine. While the engine is out I would have the Carb. work done as well. The replacement of the ring and pinion would require the differential to be removed, a new ring and pinion purchased, and the set-up of said ring and pinion, and the reinstall of the Differential. A set of Harley exhaust mufflers would be a good starting point for the exhaust. I believe JOHN at PCW Racing would be an excellent contact for the Head Machining, and he MIGHT be able to supply the donor heads for you as well. John does EXCELLENT work, but it is not a hobby for him, he has a business so therefor you will be paying for his knowledge and skill. His number is: 518-346-7203. Mentioning my name and the fact that you are a VR.ORG Member will give you street credit for sure. He MAY even know of someone that can do the Differential work for you as well.

Now for the reality check here James, you will most definitely be into this project for several thousand dollars EVEN if you pull the engine and Differential yourself! So you need to ask yourself this question, "is it better to upgrade my RSV or purchase a Goldwing"? Only YOU can answer that question!

This next part, I only mention to give you some perspective. I have an 87'VR that has been "full tilt" modded, VMAX Heads, Shaved Block, Jetted Carbs. FJR Final Drive, 15" rear wheel and NOS. It is the fastest Venture in my area, BUT any solid running Yamaha R1 or FJR1300 will leave me in the dust above 140 MPH because of their 6 speed gearbox and more horsepower. Period! Am I sorry I put ALL of that time and money into my 87VR, not on your life! I'll be 64 next week, and frankly the times my Venture sees 145 MPH are MUCH fewer and farther between than they were just 10 years ago! I personally hand built my motorcycle to be an extension of myself, and I wouldn't trade that memory of that project for the world! BUT if I just wanted to pull my trailer to go camping, I might have considered purchasing a WING!! Just sayin' James!

These are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Earl

Wow, Thank You Earl for this great, and knowledgeable write up! That could turn into a very expensive hobbie by doing those upgrades, probably more than what I can afford to spend, however it would be a wonderful learning experience.

I believe for 90% of my riding I would not have issues, just loaded down, two up, going thru mountains. It is more of a nuisance than a issue or a problem.

I feel you are correct about more power by goldwing, my 1988 1500 with double sidecar has lots of power, even loaded.

Knowing now that there is no simple fix or low cost solution, I will continue on down the road with a smile. Thanks again Earl, Later-

As far as cam swaps, what you are looking for is more bottom end torque. To go to a higher lift, longer duration cam profile, as is a Vmax, you may even see a bottom end reduction in torque. That type cam is more for higher RPM usage and I don't think that is what you are looking for. It may help to know what the final drive ratio is on your trike and maybe see if a lower gear ratio is available. It sounds like you are lugging a bit with the extra weight and running gear.

Randy

Thank You Randy, that makes alot of sence. See what hannigan stock gearing is, and go from there. I figured Hannigan would have it right for the RSV, that's why I thought more engine power.

Later-