IGNORED

Test Ride: 1998 RS Tour Classic

luvmy40

I stopped by my local Yam shop today just to look around. They had a '98 Royal Star Tour Classic with 7500mi on the clock. I figured "What the heck, I'm here. I might as well take it for a spin."

I was pleasantly surprised. After hearing about how top heavy the RSVs are and how they have so much less power than the Gen1 bikes, I thought It'd be like riding a beached manatee or something.

First, I didn't find it overly top heavy. Now that may be because it is the Tour Classic with no trunk and the rather large, low slung soft saddle bags. Possibly?

Second, the seat height was perfect for my relatively short 29" inseam.

Third, while I didn't take her out on the highway, there seemed to be plenty of power off idle and she pulled hard though 3rd gear.

Low speed handling was no worse than any Harley I've ever owned.

I did have a hard time with the foot controls. I kept pulling my feet back to mid ship to brake or shift. I'm sure I'd get over that quickly though.

I'm not sure I like the tank console speedo. I've never run one before and I would definitely have to braid or band the beard as it was directed right up into my face by the air flow past the "classic" wind screen and I could not see the speedo at all unless I held my beard to the side!

It did pop a bit on decel, but it has shorty V&H mufflers so that may be the cause of that.

All in all, I liked it. They are asking $2950.00 for it.

I am still wanting a Gen1, MK2, but I may add this to wish list too.

Any thoughts or advice?

That sounds like a great find with such low miles. Should last someone a long time. I don't consider my 07 RSV top heavy either and I also have a 29" inseam. I think that model has 75hp instead of the Venture's 98hp if that matters.

I owned a 98 Tour Classic for 9 years and 96000 miles, loved that bike, wanted to keep it after getting my 07 Venture, but just could not justify having 2 bikes. The 98 was not getting ridden enough after I got the Venture and I decided to sell it. Regretted that decision the next time I saw the bike, new owner was not keeping it up to my expectations, but that is how it goes.

It did not exhibit the same top heavy feel of the Venture, for the reasons you stated, I did install a DYNA ignition and BUB pipes, both helped the performance. It was great in the first 3 gears, in 4th it was OK but 5th it was just for cruising. I wish I had put a V-Max rear end in it, that would have perked it up a good deal.

I only had two problems with the bike, the ignition switch had to be changed under warranty and later the water pump seals failed and I got oil in the coolant, not uncommon for these bikes.

Not sure what color scheme the bike you rode was, but for 98 the TC only came in Green and Ivory or Black and White, Green and Ivory was the best.

Here is what she looked like at 96000 miles.

DSCN0307.jpgDSCN0317.jpg

They're not as top heavy as many here think. As @cowpuc has said on his RSV test ride, they are actually quite a bit lighter in the front than our 1st gens. I like the royale stars, but I prefer standard controls and I like the leg guards. There's something to be said about being able to ride through a rain shower and not come out totally drenched.

I owned a 98 Tour Classic for 9 years and 96000 miles, loved that bike, wanted to keep it after getting my 07 Venture, but just could not justify having 2 bikes. The 98 was not getting ridden enough after I got the Venture and I decided to sell it. Regretted that decision the next time I saw the bike, new owner was not keeping it up to my expectations, but that is how it goes.

It did not exhibit the same top heavy feel of the Venture, for the reasons you stated, I did install a DYNA ignition and BUB pipes, both helped the performance. It was great in the first 3 gears, in 4th it was OK but 5th it was just for cruising. I wish I had put a V-Max rear end in it, that would have perked it up a good deal.

I only had two problems with the bike, the ignition switch had to be changed under warranty and later the water pump seals failed and I got oil in the coolant, not uncommon for these bikes.

Not sure what color scheme the bike you rode was, but for 98 the TC only came in Green and Ivory or Black and White, Green and Ivory was the best.

Here is what she looked like at 96000 miles.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116826https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=116827

Definitely sharp!

IMHO, the downfall of the early Yamaha Royal Star Classics is/was the detune. Dropping the balance shaft so they couldn't reliably be spun up to far above the 5250 HP range, changing the cams and dropping to the carbs to 28mm all for torque was a mistake IMHO. Also, IMHO, It was actually a waste of RnD and design (V-4's are far more expensive to design and build) dollars to do so and limits a person who wants to build one to perform up to V-4 capabilities. I have a hunch that the claimed 78ish HP of those early bikes would actually appear as a very putzy meager 60 horse at the rear wheel. Fact is, I have seen numerous early Classics for sale in the $1500 range and probably because of exactly the point I am trying to make. Nice bikes,, sure,, but a decent running V-twin of comparable size will hang right with it and, if it's a HD of the same year the resale will always be greater... All IMHO of course..

If I were still in the game I would DEFINITELY be looking at one of the 05's or later..

Interesting, I just found what I believe is the bike that luvmy40 test rode, listed on Cycle Trader, it is listed as a V-Star, I hope the dealership knows what they really have there. Other than the clear coat peeling on the top of the tank and white walls looking very old, it looks to be in pretty good condition. I would be tempted if it were a bit closer, now that I am retired I have time to ride more and could justify a second bike. There is a sister bike to that one in Lakeland Florida (100 miles from me), it has been at the dealer for nearly 2 years and is more than double the price of this one and it has a set of ugly (IMHO) fishtails on it, but I have been watching it to see if the price starts to drop, but it has not moved a bit.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1998-Yamaha-V-Star-Tour-Classic-5005803311

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1998-Yamaha-Royal-Star-121096062

Interesting, I just found what I believe is the bike that luvmy40 test rode, listed on Cycle Trader, it is listed as a V-Star, I hope the dealership knows what they really have there. Other than the clear coat peeling on the top of the tank and white walls looking very old, it looks to be in pretty good condition. I would be tempted if it were a bit closer, now that I am retired I have time to ride more and could justify a second bike. There is a sister bike to that one in Lakeland Florida (100 miles from me), it has been at the dealer for nearly 2 years and is more than double the price of this one and it has a set of ugly (IMHO) fishtails on it, but I have been watching it to see if the price starts to drop, but it has not moved a bit.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1998-Yamaha-V-Star-Tour-Classic-5005803311

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1998-Yamaha-Royal-Star-121096062

Yep!

That's it. I didn't notice the dirty white walls but I did notice the rear tie still had the blue paint lines on the edge of the tread.