IGNORED

Would road damage to radiator be covered under warranty?

Guest kozman01

Guest kozman01

This weekend, while waxing down the front fender on the Venture, my knuckle LIGHTLY brushed the fins on the completely exposed radiator and bent the damn fins where my knuckle dragged. I thought to myself why would anyone leave such a large radiator just hanging out there? My neighbor has a Suzuki C50, pretty cheap bike cost wise, yet it's radiator at least has a plastic cover. I have a couple of questions reagrding the radiator.

If damaged by something being throw up from the roadway, would this be covered under warranty. I know, your paint being chipped or some other damage by road debris wouldn't be covered, but I think a resonable person would think the radiator would and should be protected from flying road debris.

How much is a new radiator form Yamaha?

Finally, are there any "poor man" covers for the radiator? I can' really afford the fiberglass one right now, but did come across a "Celstar" chrome cover for 70.00 dollars new? Any thoughts or fixes.

Thanks again for everyones input and opinions!

I know exactly how you feel.......one of my first accessories was a Wagner grill. It wasn't so much the cost of a new rad but getting my hands on one in my neck of the woods. What ever route you go its a good thing to invest in as soon as you can.

SKU: 4XY-12461-00-00

RADIATOR ASSY 1 $240.12

To answer you question. No it wouldn't get covered under warranty.

As KeithR mentioned the Wagner radiator cover is a great investment. You can also go onto Ebay and there are Stainless Steel and Chrome plated radiator covers there also. Only the ones on Ebay don't have mesh like the Wagner does.

I purchased a Wagner radiator cover for my first RSV and it was a great investment.

Guest kozman01

Thanks for that info Gene. I wasn't aware there was a mesh screen on the Hooters. Good to know.

Thanks for that info Gene. I wasn't aware there was a mesh screen on the Hooters. Good to know.

I would still get the Wagner for when you are not using the Scooter Hooters .

I would have a set , but been too lazy to order .

BEER30

Guest tx2sturgis

On the Wagner grille, you have to increase front fork pressure, or it will make banging noises as the front fender's rear skirt makes contact with it, on sharp bumps. This causes paint damage to the grille, and in a hard-brake situation, can cause the fender to lock up against the grill, removing the riders's ability to steer. ( that happened to me!)

I took mine off and wont be needing it. Any one want a used, banged up Wagner Grille?

On the Wagner grille, you have to increase front fork pressure, or it will make banging noises as the front fender's rear skirt makes contact with it, on sharp bumps. This causes paint damage to the grille, and in a hard-brake situation, can cause the fender to lock up against the grill, removing the riders's ability to steer. ( that happened to me!)

I took mine off and wont be needing it. Any one want a used, banged up Wagner Grille?

I know what you are talking about, I had mine hit also. Not as bad as yours though. Did you do the front end lowering mod? Or is it still stock?

Guest tx2sturgis
I know what you are talking about, I had mine hit also. Not as bad as yours though. Did you do the front end lowering mod? Or is it still stock?

Nope...the front end is still stock height, and I refuse to make suspension adjustments to keep what is essentially a cosmetic item.

That grill is beautiful, and I wish it worked out for me, but it didnt.

Nope...the front end is still stock height, and I refuse to make suspension adjustments to keep what is essentially a cosmetic item.

That grill is beautiful, and I wish it worked out for me, but it didnt.

I was wondering it you had lowered it and that was the cause of it hitting so hard, not intending for you to lower it to use the Grill. In fact I'm thinking that lowering it might make things worse.

Mine only hit once, and it was a whale of a pot hole that I hit that caused it to smash into the grill. Still it only scratched the grill, not chip it as bad as yours. Right after that I put 7lbs of pressure in each fork and never had a problem again.

Guest tx2sturgis
I was wondering it you had lowered it and that was the cause of it hitting so hard, not intending for you to lower it to use the Grill. In fact I'm thinking that lowering it might make things worse.

Mine only hit once, and it was a whale of a pot hole that I hit that caused it to smash into the grill. Still it only scratched the grill, not chip it as bad as yours. Right after that I put 7lbs of pressure in each fork and never had a problem again.

Thats what I'm saying. I will not add air to the forks, to make a cosmetic item usable.

This factoid will not go unanswered, I'm sure, but the fact is, the more air you run in the forks and rear shock, the sooner the seals will go bad.

Brian since you are not happy with the Grill and have taken it off your Bike I will buy it back. Sorry you had a problem with it and believe me its more for protection then just cosmetic. I got back from 1200 miles this week and had a small stone come off the back of the trailer of a truck that passed me. When I was washing my bike I noticed a dent in the metal mess of the grill about 1/2 inch in dia. and 1/8 of an inch deep. Not sure if it would have taken out the radiator but I'm sure it would not have done it anygood.

Just mail it back to me and I'll mail you a check when I get it.

I might as well state this here again. If you have lowered your bike don't buy my Grill, if you don't want to keep any air in the front fork don't buy my grill. I have lowered the profile of the grill to just about the max in the last year and have not had any problems ( at least that I know of ) If someone doesn't write me I'm not a mind reader. I try to make the best quality product I can and the last thing I want is someone being dissatified with it.

So then, Steve, what you're saying is that if you've lowered your front or like it without air in the shocks (or both) you should probably get the chrome covers that you see on ebay, JCW, or Cruiser Customizing, right?

I designed this grill to work with the stock 99 RSV. I have run my bike without air in the front shocks without it ever hitting the Grill ( however to be on the safe side ) I recomend keeping 6 lbs. of air in the shocks. Just incase you hit a big hole in the road.

Being where it is and getting alot of road rash from the front tire it might have some nicks in it from things being throne up from the road just like the lowers get.( at least they are not hitting the radiator ). Some have added a rear mudflap and stopped this problem.

If you haved lowered the front end then don't buy my Grill. By lowering the front end you will let the rear fender tip travel another inch closer to the radiator. I'm not sure in a panic stop or over a large pot hole if that would make it hit the radiator the way it comes from the factory or not but it would hit my Grill.

The chrome Grills lay flat to the Radiator however I don't see them with the large opening in the metal giving much protection. Like I said before I designed mine to protect the radiator and not just for looks.

I have been making these Grills for over 8 years now and have changed the design by lowing the profile of the grill to 1 inch or less. There are many people with my grill that have not had a problem. Why put air shocks on a bike if your not going to use them . I like the way it handles with some air in the shocks. it makes the steering better at low speeds and doesn't nose dive when you hit the brakes.

Brian since you are not happy with the Grill and have taken it off your Bike I will buy it back. Sorry you had a problem with it and believe me its more for protection then just cosmetic. I got back from 1200 miles this week and had a small stone come off the back of the trailer of a truck that passed me. When I was washing my bike I noticed a dent in the metal mess of the grill about 1/2 inch in dia. and 1/8 of an inch deep. Not sure if it would have taken out the radiator but I'm sure it would not have done it anygood.

Just mail it back to me and I'll mail you a check when I get it.

I might as well state this here again. If you have lowered your bike don't buy my Grill, if you don't want to keep any air in the front fork don't buy my grill. I have lowered the profile of the grill to just about the max in the last year and have not had any problems ( at least that I know of ) If someone doesn't write me I'm not a mind reader. I try to make the best quality product I can and the last thing I want is someone being dissatified with it.

I gotta say that is the best warrantee one can offer! Congrates on standing behind your product even if it may be just one that is not satisfied. Your grill is on my to-do list in the up coming year. congrates again !

Steve Stelter

aka Bubber

Thanks Steve

I try to do the best I can and get all the orders filled and shipped as soon as possable. This is a one man shop and thats me.

I will be going in to see about getting a hip and knee replacement done in a couple of weeks. I guess that will lay me up for a while but its getting so its hard to walk and ride.

( thats the main reason I put the hack on my Bike )

I'll post on my web site and here when I have to stop taking orders. Not to worry the orders I have now I will have shipped when I told you they will be shipped.

Ride Safe Everyone