IGNORED

Rocket 3 TFC

SpencerPJ

I've always liked the Rocket 3 and have looked several times to see if they had introduced a full fairing touring model but they never have. They offered one with some bags and called it a touring bike and I suppose it is for some people. Not for me though. I would have probably owned one by now had they offered it in a full dress model.

That is a magnificent machine. Looks like it actually needed more tq and hp, who knew?

I rode one of these the first year they came out. I had my Triumph Sprint ST at the shop and noticed it. I told a friend about it, he went and rode and bought it on the spot which was surprising for a dedicated lifelong HD guy. I think it was the first one sold in western WA. I rode it all over Snohimish County for an afternoon. Anyhow, this bike was impressive before this boost on specs, I have no doubt it is still awesome.

Triumph has been a very tough act to follow since restarting in Hinkley. Yamaha should have been doing something like this instead of churning out an improved Road King. I suspect Yamaha's shareholders may agree. While BMW has the K1600, Triumph has the Rocket III, Honda has GW but Yamaha has no performance tourer in their lineup. I suspect Yamaha knew it was much easier to build a bike to compete with HD then with Triumph or BMW. Yamaha better take that 1700 V4, stop screwing around and make a touring bike for the rest of us. I know they have the resources and they must have folks on their engineering team that ache to be turned loose on a full touring project that rivals K bikes, Rockets and GWs.

Should Yamaha take notice... I do believe so!

Edit: If they had a full dress version I would own one too, no doubt! I've read the tour version is quite a nice tour bike but it still looks to me like a power cruiser that got some fairings as an after thought. Just like Yamahas V4, Triumps massive I3 would be amazing in a full-on touring bike.

Edited by CaseyJ955

I don't even need a full dresser, but a set-up like the RSTD, I'd be very interested. I stay with my 83 Venture because it fits a tall guy and I do not want a cruiser with feet forward. GW do not fit me either. I insist on water cooled. But 2500cc, that's more than my college kid's corolla, lol.

That is a magnificent machine. Looks like it actually needed more tq and hp, who knew?

I rode one of these the first year they came out. I had my Triumph Sprint ST at the shop and noticed it. I told a friend about it, he went and rode and bought it on the spot which was surprising for a dedicated lifelong HD guy. I think it was the first one sold in western WA. I rode it all over Snohimish County for an afternoon. Anyhow, this bike was impressive before this boost on specs, I have no doubt it is still awesome.

Triumph has been a very tough act to follow since restarting in Hinkley. Yamaha should have been doing something like this instead of churning out an improved Road King. I suspect Yamaha's shareholders may agree. While BMW has the K1600, Triumph has the Rocket III, Honda has GW but Yamaha has no performance tourer in their lineup. I suspect Yamaha knew it was much easier to build a bike to compete with HD then with Triumph or BMW. Yamaha better take that 1700 V4, stop screwing around and make a touring bike for the rest of us. I know they have the resources and they must have folks on their engineering team that ache to be turned loose on a full touring project that rivals K bikes, Rockets and GWs.

Edit: If they had a full dress version I would own one too, no doubt! I've read the tour version is quite a nice tour bike but it still looks to me like a power cruiser that got some fairings as an after thought. Just like Yamahas V4, Triumps massive I3 would be amazing in a full-on touring bike.

Right there with ya Case!! I am nobodys mother but I do have a theory (another Puc's IMHO's if you can bear with it) on what the flop to jumping onto the HD air cooled, push rod motored, belt drive reason was/is all about.. I think it's as basic as Mom Yam seeing the size of the market that HD created in comparison to the teeny little enemic size of the "other than HD market".. Something we were taught in college Marketing 101 was to avoid going Toe to Toe with the super pillars in business. Instead,, weave your business strategy in and out of those pillars by designing stuff that feeds off the smaller markets and still competes with the pillars without going toe to toe with them. Then strive to become a pillar of your own design.. Perhaps things have changed in Marketing strategies over the years :big-grin-emoticon:

I will say this though,, the ahhh ohhh on the SVTC's are starting to wear off and Yamaha seeems to be making some interesting adjustments.. I was talking to a relative of mine yesterday who mentioned seeing a brand new SVTC at a dealership not long ago with a price point of $19,000 :scared:!! Thats still a fair chunk of change for 2 wheels and motor IMHO but, in comparison to the alternatives = that's a ton of bike for the money :big-grin-emoticon:

I don't even need a full dresser, but a set-up like the RSTD, I'd be very interested. I stay with my 83 Venture because it fits a tall guy and I do not want a cruiser with feet forward. GW do not fit me either. I insist on water cooled. But 2500cc, that's more than my college kid's corolla, lol.

They have what you are looking for then. Hard bags, windshield, etc. Just no trunk or fairing.

2000000001.jpg

Been a lot of chit chat on the Polaris Indian sites about the new Road Glide Indian (fixed fairing) that Polaris may or may not be coming out with.. It is amazing how many varmints over there are :no-no-no: about Polaris cloning the Road Glide and a TON of :stickpoke: from those who are speaking up as an encouragement for Polaris to repop the old inline 4 Indian.. Reading this about the Rocket 3 sure makes me wonder if those Polaris Indian riders may be onto something... Thoughts?

The original rocket 3s are tons of fun. Unfortunately, they had bad trannys in them until 08. Dad picked up one from Washington with a bad tranny and only 10k miles. Hope they don't have any issues like that any more

NealKetnerMotors.com has a Triumph Rocket 3 in his inventory at less than 10k if anyone is interested. I've bought several bikes from him and never been disappointed. Just traded an 08 Porsche Boxster Limited edition on a nice 13 Harley Road king CVO which I also had received a few thousand extra on the deal. Just can't get away from two wheels yet not even in my seventy's.:hurts:

If you look at their history Yammy has taken many bold steps, that has bitten them squarely on the arse sales wise. Most recent is the Niken? I owned the MT-01, a bloody great 'torque monster' in a chassis that handled, it didn't sell, apart from the expense, so many didn't 'get' the concept. (and yamaha US deemed it wouldn't sell there? so didn't import them). Yam tried a 'performance' tourer in the 1990's (the GTS 1000) If anything they seem to be too far ahead of time, the MT-01 & 03 didn't go well, 10yrs later? MT07/09 are big sellers.

I've not been able to really use my Venture since early Feb when I 'offed' on the roadstar (diesel on the apex of a 50-55 bend, and went down fast/hard with my left leg under the bike). But they'd need to do a complete redesign of the chassis for handling if they went V4-1700cc. The 1300 can easily 'outpace' the chassis abilities on tight stuff, even I've found that in my short ownership time.

TBH I don't 'get' why people by HD's etc then spend heaps on performance parts, I have a ZZR1100 lurking in the garage if I want speed. The Venture is a relaxed, comfortable mile eater, it doesn't need 150bhp+.

I think we all know the Venture 1300 out HD'd the HD's of the time, yet? Yam decided to go V-twin with the new version, guessing is that they learned people want V-twins, regardless of how good the V4 was/is.

I've ridden the R3, and it's a mind blowing machine for it's size, and does way better than you'd expect even on bends, but it is still limited once you hit the tight stuff (which I'll be honest about, Nooo Zeeeland IS about 'twisty roads').

If you look at their history Yammy has taken many bold steps, that has bitten them squarely on the arse sales wise. Most recent is the Niken? I owned the MT-01, a bloody great 'torque monster' in a chassis that handled, it didn't sell, apart from the expense, so many didn't 'get' the concept. (and yamaha US deemed it wouldn't sell there? so didn't import them). Yam tried a 'performance' tourer in the 1990's (the GTS 1000) If anything they seem to be too far ahead of time, the MT-01 & 03 didn't go well, 10yrs later? MT07/09 are big sellers.

I've not been able to really use my Venture since early Feb when I 'offed' on the roadstar (diesel on the apex of a 50-55 bend, and went down fast/hard with my left leg under the bike). But they'd need to do a complete redesign of the chassis for handling if they went V4-1700cc. The 1300 can easily 'outpace' the chassis abilities on tight stuff, even I've found that in my short ownership time.

TBH I don't 'get' why people by HD's etc then spend heaps on performance parts, I have a ZZR1100 lurking in the garage if I want speed. The Venture is a relaxed, comfortable mile eater, it doesn't need 150bhp+.

I think we all know the Venture 1300 out HD'd the HD's of the time, yet? Yam decided to go V-twin with the new version, guessing is that they learned people want V-twins, regardless of how good the V4 was/is.

I've ridden the R3, and it's a mind blowing machine for it's size, and does way better than you'd expect even on bends, but it is still limited once you hit the tight stuff (which I'll be honest about, Nooo Zeeeland IS about 'twisty roads').

I have yet to ride an MT, ridden alongside one and they sure seem able to hold their own. I considered one before I bought the Vmax. I think Yam went with the big twin because they knew they could do a better one, and because that is what they were told by those they asked, which seems like a pretty valid way to decide what customers want. Even though the gen3 is not a bike for me I figured it would be pretty well received. I think they asked the wrong people given that there are still heavily discounted models on showroom floors well into the next calendar year. I am interested in what they do going forward. I'm not sure how factual but somewhere I read that there would be no 2019 Gen3 and no hard promises of any more to come. I hope I stand corrected if that is not accurate.

I'm not sure how many more Gen3 are going to get made and sold, but I'll bet they become highly desirable bikes r/t lack of numbers/rarity. I guess the part of this that has always stumped me is the vast majority of the twin riders seem to be graying it up. Not seeing to many younger folks on narrow twins, but of course we have covered here how many younger folks just don't seem that interested in bikes at all. I feel like all that R&D could have been allocated to a machine that would be an alternative to a GW and not to an RK. A gen3 is not a machine to attract young buyers, which is something it would seem the whole motorcycle industry should be seriously concerned with right now.

I understand Yamaha's rational for the Gen3, I just think it's about 15 years too late. I'm still not convinced that this 1700 V4 will not resurface outside a Vmax. I think it will show up in a sport tour/tour bike in the coming years, I think it will have to.

The R3 is not for everyone, although it would work just fine for me. I'm not sure how much of a tour bike Triumph will make out of the R3, they already have a very nice tour bike in the lineup, as an added bonus it's a triple too. I bought a new Triumph in 2000, owning it has made me a pretty big Triumph fan. I love my Gen1, I think it's the perfect blend of all things fun for the long haul. I really thought we were getting a new version of it the Gen1 but I think Yamaha has lost interest in buyers like me, but BMW and Triumph still make performance tourers, dang nice ones at that.