IGNORED

What about the latest fuels for our bikes?

As I was pumping REGULAR grade HESS into my RSV tank I was asked how does that the 10% ethanol affect my bike. My response was that I do not know. Mine is an 01 and he just got an 08 and was reluctant to burn the gasses with the additive alternative fuels in it. Later when I parked in my garage the raw gas smell had a sweet aroma to it. Today the engine seemed to idle rough or maybe it is my imagination.

I would like to open up a discussion here or maybe this is already been discussed in another post that I can review?

Around here in Michigan our gas has 10% ethanol added, I personally have never had an issue with it, but that doesn't mean that you aren't. I would suggest the 1st thing you do is runa can of seafoam through it and see what happens. I'm not saying it's in your head but for the few dollars that can will cost it might be a thought.

One thing I THINK it has effected is my fuel mileage. It is my understanding that the government has REQUIRED at least a 10% mix of Ethanol be out in gasoline with those percentages rising over a period of time. Ive read some info on this and to be honest alot of it goes over my head. One thing for sure is my mileage has dropped from low 40s to mid 30s if driving 70. If I hold it to 65 I can get 40 IF NO WIND ETC.

See my post in the other thread on this topic. That is about all we have in IL. Never have any problems. If your bike is running rough I would say its something OTHER than the gas. The RSV manual states the 10% Ethanol is ok. I honestly NEVER check my milage on the bike. I know its better than my SUV and even if it wasn't I would still ride just as much.

I just took my first long(ish) ride today and went through a tank of gas. In Mass all we have is the 10% at the pumps. It was mostly highway, but I tried to mix it up a little. Ended up averaging 42 mpg. I have to say, I'm very impressed with the way the bike rides. I do have another Yamaha, '00 Road Star and that is a nice highway bike too. The RSV seems to really enjoy running at 78-80 mph. It was just purring along. I put some SeaFoam in it and that seemed to help clean it out and I also have added some Bub slip ons, great sound. All in all very pleased, now if I can just find a short patch cable for the ipod, I'll be in seventh heaven.

Roadkill - I did read the other thread on ethanol. seems to be a wide range of opinions - as always!

My ride is an 01 which sat too long with original purchaser. With only 1,900 miles on it would only run on 2 cylinders. I removed/replaced carbs and it ran on 3 cylinders. I now have an 07 carbs on it which had only 1,400 mi on it.

I put fishtails with only a few hundred more miles on it & all seemed OK within the 1st few weeks. One day I over revved her in 1st and there was a loud report out the exhaust. After that I seemed to feel a little vibration at low rpm in all gears. Now that is either in my head or something happened when it over revved?

I want to pull the carbs to set the bowl floats since I smell gas. I also bought the 4 gauges to sink the carbs, hoping to eliminate smell and rough idle. I might even try the stock muffs again to see if there is a diff.

So besides ethanol issue, I have carb floats, carb sync and muffs to deal with. :confused24:

Roadkill - I did read the other thread on ethanol. seems to be a wide range of opinions - as always!

My ride is an 01 which sat too long with original purchaser. With only 1,900 miles on it would only run on 2 cylinders. I removed/replaced carbs and it ran on 3 cylinders. I now have an 07 carbs on it which had only 1,400 mi on it.

I put fishtails with only a few hundred more miles on it & all seemed OK within the 1st few weeks. One day I over revved her in 1st and there was a loud report out the exhaust. After that I seemed to feel a little vibration at low rpm in all gears. Now that is either in my head or something happened when it over revved?

I want to pull the carbs to set the bowl floats since I smell gas. I also bought the 4 gauges to sink the carbs, hoping to eliminate smell and rough idle. I might even try the stock muffs again to see if there is a diff.

So besides ethanol issue, I have carb floats, carb sync and muffs to deal with. :confused24:

Unless you have a open Aftermarket Ignition Box mounted, you can't 'overrev' a 2Gen.

The Rev-Limiter kicks in Way before the the troublesome Revs are arrieved.

Here in Oz some fuel companies are mixing 10% ethanol with their standard unleaded fuel. This is around 3 - 4 cents a litre cheaper that the real stuff, and for my 2c worth I won't allow it NEAR my bike. I won't even allow it near my Subie. We have 3 different octane ratings of fuel - all unleaded. Leaded fuels have been outlawed. The 10% ethanol bowsers supplement the standards.

An engine needs three things to run... spark, fuel and oxygen. I would suggest you start from the basics.

The first thing to do is to find the problem cylinder(s). If you don’t know which one it is try reading the plugs, check for fuel and spark eg; if there is a wet or fouled plug that may be a sign that it’s not firing or it's getting too much fuel. If the matter is not obvious use a process of elimination to narrow the problem down. Sometimes we can over look simple things (don’t ask me how I know). Exhaust wouldn’t be my first guess unless you suspect a leak at the gasket or the system is plugged. Once you’ve established the basics and get it running tune the settings. There’s not always an easy answer and it becomes a matter of trial and error, so it helps to start from the basics. :080402gudl_prv:

as with most things these days, many of our choises have been eliminated,same with gas. for what it's worth i have seen a real drop in mileage and performance using 87 octane. i try to use chevron hi test and get the best results. maybe i'm crazy... oh yeah wait ,that's right i am crazy.ride safe and be cool,thumper1