IGNORED

Alternator Output

Guest drummerboy

Guest drummerboy

Hi everyone,

I am a new member/poster and need some info if someone can help. I am seriously considering the purchase of an 08' RSV and need to know the alternator output (amps) of the bike. The dealer for whatever reason can't answer my question and there is no info on Yamaha's website. I plan on installing heated grips, heated aftermarket seat, extra power outlets (for heated clothing and Ipod), and driving/fog lamps. It is possible all of these items will be "on" at the same time and I need to make sure the bike can handle these accessories without any battery drain before I make my purchase. Thanks in advance.

BTW: Excellent forum and members.:cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis
Hi everyone,

I am a new member/poster and need some info if someone can help. I am seriously considering the purchase of an 08' RSV and need to know the alternator output (amps) of the bike. The dealer for whatever reason can't answer my question and there is no info on Yamaha's website. I plan on installing heated grips, heated aftermarket seat, extra power outlets (for heated clothing and Ipod), and driving/fog lamps. It is possible all of these items will be "on" at the same time and I need to make sure the bike can handle these accessories without any battery drain before I make my purchase. Thanks in advance.

BTW: Excellent forum and members.:cool10:

Hey Drummer...this topic is a touchy one...your going to get a number of different answers...the short answer is...MAYBE!

The Venture is not known for having a robust electrical system. It is capable of handling SOME additional loads. If you put two 100 watt driving lites on it, you will either kill the battery, the stator, or both.

The total max capacity of the stator is about 30 amps, (around 360 watts max) The bike will support somewhere around 10 amps, or about 120 watts, of additional load. In colder weather, when you need those grips, vest or jacket liner, heated seat, and maybe the driving lites, the bike will also kick in its carb heaters, that draw around 60 watts total...( some owners disable these) leaving you with something like 60, to maybe 100 watts you might get away with on the highway...but around town, the RPM's will be less, and you may find the charging system is not keeping up.

Here is the way I do it...and it works fine:

Two Kuryakyn 20 watt driving lites, on when on low beam only

Kisan Headlight modulator on high beam (increases forward visiblity, AND reduces the load on the bike when its in use, daytime only)

LED brake/tail ( to save a couple of amps, and help rear visibility)

Heated grips on a variable control

Heated vest on a variable control for cold weather

Kisan charge monitor (so I know if something goes fubar)

XM radio ( insignificant load)

So the answer is...if you keep things reasonable, it will all work...if you want huge loads and turn them all on at one time...you may have problems.

Add up your total added loads...if it's below 100 watts total, your gonna be OK..if it goes over that, to 120 or so, you may have to switch off something now and then...over 120 watts, you may be looking at problems. ( My total added load never exceeds about 100 watts, most times it is MUCH less)

Other riders are using 35w driving lites, and heated grips and clothing...but they normally watch the charge with a meter or a gauge. I tend to be conservative when adding loads to a bike, whether electrical or physical. I like to see long life service out of every component on the bike.

Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Another way you can handle the Carb heaters is to add a relay so when the heaters are on, one or more of your add on loads would be disabled. I would probably put it on a comparable load.

I would add an indicator lamp to tell you when the carb heaters is on, so you don't think something is wrong with that load.

Just a thought.

Another idea is to make the loads switchable, so you could pick which load gets turned off... rotate them if the weather is very cold.

Also, I would probably go with heated glove liners vice heated grips. Probally a lower load and it would get the heat on your hands, not in the air. What do snowmobile riders do? Someplace where they ride for work and for a long season, like Alaska or northern Canada.

The easyest way to heat the rider is to move south..:) Florida comes to mind.;)

It's funny that this has been mentioned, I have never been real happy with any of the Ventures charging systems. This is totally off topic, but I stopped at a local H/D dealer to ask them what the new H/D touring bikes put out.....45 amps! Yamaha is starting to not impress me all the time here with some of the numbers.

As mentioned there are upgrade stators that can be installed, and the RSV is a great machine. But you might have to limit how much heated clothing you use :(

I ride with heated jacket liner and heated gloves. Also have GPS w/ MP3 going at full blast along with driving lights (35W ea.).

At highway speeds, if I have all turned on, I'm OK. If I have to slow down in traffic, I will switch off something - usually the driving lights. Keep track with a small LED voltmeter mounted on the tripletree.

If my wife wanted to run heated clothing also, she would have to be on her own bike. The Venture couldn't handle it.

This is one of the few weak points of this bike.

RR