IGNORED

Tonno Pro Tanneau cover for my F150

luvmy40

I just finished "installing" a tanneau cover on my '07 F150. The Tonno Pro model 42-308, soft tri-fold cover.

https://www.tonnopro.com/catalog/0408-ford-f150-tonnofold-tonneau-cover-p-2465.html

I put installing in quotes because it was stupid easy and QUICK. It looks very nice and was easy on the budget, $222.00 OTD with my AZ employee discount.

I found several good reviews including a six month update. There was only one "bad" review that I could find and that was a guy complaining that the "Free Stuff"(LED bed light, vinyl cleaning spay and gloves) was Chinese junk. I do have a feeling I am going to have to be vigilant in cleaning the snow off of it as our Ohio white stuff can be pretty wet and heavy. I think I'd have that issue with any soft cover regardless of the price point.

There are some obvious quality differences when compared to a buddy's Mopar branded soft cover from the dealership. His is on a short bed and has more cross spars than mine on an 8' bed. His is much more rigid and has a distinct bow to the spars. Mine is very flat. Mine is fairly sturdy when installed but his is noticeably more so. His also cost nearly $600.00

My one complaint, and it is minor at this price point, is that I have to lift the rear spar manually about 1/4" to close the tail gate. I think that may be due more to the after market hard bed liner and rail covers than any flaw in the tanneau cover.

Anybody else here have an experience with Tonno Pro?

tonnopro1.jpg

tonnopro2.jpg

Edited by luvmy40
update

Not sure the brand of mine but it looks just like yours. It’s my second one and they last several years. I have a new F150 extended cab now and the same cover fit my previous GMC. The GMC had 250,000 miles and the second cover was moved to the Ford which now has 50,000.

We had 5 inches of heavy wet snow last week and it didn’t have any affect on it. My truck stays outside 100% of the time.

I have a spray in bed liner and have no trouble with tailgate. Mine has the step in the gate and power remote. I can use the fob to open the gate and 99% of the time the gate drops open with no assist.

The current cover has one small issue. When opening back upon itself, the clamps to secure it drop down and the threaded bolts are pointed downward. There is potential of them poking holes in the vinyl. They are a friction fit to snap up horizontally but this is worn out. Sometime soon I am going to 3D print a couple of small retainers to secure them.

, I have a Topper just like that same brand same thing. It's two years old now and the only problem that I had was the clamp in the front

It might be partially my fault for tightening a little too tight now the steel threads turn when I'm trying to tighten the clamp.

So instead of standing on the side of the Box on the ground tightening it up I have to slide in the box and hold it with a pair of pliers to get it loose or tight

I don't take it totally off that often other than that I think it's great.

I put one on a leased GMC Sierra, ran it for 3 years, took it off and put it on the next Sierra I leased, 3 more years and still looks like new. Truck is outside all the time and goes thru the carwash at least twice a month. When I bought it it came with a 5yr warranty and it outlived the warranty with zero issues. I do push anything over 6" of snow off with a push broom. Great product.

Craig

My Tonno Pro is 5 1/2 years old. Due to the Colorado sun, the threading around the edges is starting to go. Other than that, I've had no problems.

I did however, just decide and ordered a hard cap, which is due in a few weeks. Got tired of crawling under the cover to get something that rolled to the front.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I mentioned that the one issue with this cover was the tailgate hitting on the rear spar, right? Well, I called Tonno Pro to ask if they had any install tips to fix this and they asked me to email some pictures and a description of the issue. I did and they replied about 24 hours later that they were sending me new cover.

That was yesterday.

The cover arrived via FedEx today and fits perfectly. No interference from the tailgate at all, but still a tight seal.

Now, that's what I call Customer Service!

BTW, The original cover stood up to our recent blizzard spectacularly. Nearly a foot of cold wet white stuff and no damage.

Money well spent and I would not hesitate to recommend the Tonno Pro covers to anyone.

Looks Good! I had a very similar cover on my 2000 Silverado Step Side (short bed). Not sure if it's aftermarket or not. It sounds more like your buddy's cover. It has an aluminum frame that clamps to the bed rails & 3 curved spars that go from side to side. The cover has a definite curve when fitted.

It could be "rolled up" from the rear & tied at the front of the bed, behind the cab with a couple of velcro straps if not needed. The side rails stay in place but the cross spars are easily removed. It was quite well made but I found that as it aged it became more & more difficult to pull the cover tight enough to "snap" the concealed flanges into the grooves on the support rails. It's really hard on the fingers even when it's warm but almost impossible if it's cold.

I could guarantee that when the cover was on, I'd need to pick up something that meant the cover needed to be removed! Sod's Law I guess.

I eventually gave up on it.

PS My tailgate would just brush under the rear cross rail which had foam on the bottom, made a decent seal but not stormproof.

Edited by Kretz

My Tonno Pro is 5 1/2 years old. Due to the Colorado sun, the threading around the edges is starting to go. Other than that, I've had no problems.

I did however, just decide and ordered a hard cap, which is due in a few weeks. Got tired of crawling under the cover to get something that rolled to the front.

That stuff is still going to slide to the front.

I keep a telescoping cargo retriever in the bed of my truck.

https://www.leonardaccessories.com/product/cargo-management-ez-retriever-cargo-reaching-tool-access

I got mine at one of the Line-X dealers.