IGNORED

On tires, spark plugs, and motor oil.

Over the past month I believe there have been multiple threads about tires and motor oil and other wear items on the RSV. Now I know this is an open group, but when someone asks a question about replacing a wear items lets stick to the model/generation year in question. Tires that worked well on your 920 virago aren't necessarily the best tire for a Venture. We all can agree that on the RSV (not the road star or others ) the Bridgestones and dunlops of the period were less than adequate! Several folks have stated that the Shinko 777 works well on the RSV now just because you tore one up on your 1000cc ninja doesn't negate their use on an RSV.

The argument goes for spark plugs yes champions make your lawn mower do wheelies but NGKs are better in the RSV.

Vintage Oilzum worked great in grand dads Studebaker but the modern synthetic 20/50 wet clutch oil is best for our bikes.

Arguing against the group because you had a bad experience driving your cousins girlfriends little brother's vintage Norton while running Avon Cobras doesn't mean the tire suck across the board!

When a newbie reacts out lets not start a fight in church about what we think is best and down play everyone else because of other brand/generation/year experiences

So on the RSV especially the 2nd generation the following:

Shinkos E4's Venom and Cobra all seem to be high up there with Michelins and the newer dunlops close behind.

Shell rotella and mobil 1 both seem to top everyone's lists for oil

Ngk's seem far superior over everything else.

Broview S7's as the led of choice (so far) technology changes daily on bulbs.

The same with recommended maintenance. I change my oil whenever the trans feels a little sticky or hard to shift (about 1500-200 miles or every three months) Air filters get pulled and cleaned once a year. Seam foam every December 1st. I run 5 lbs from shock 45 lbs rear shock and 37PSI cold both front and rear tires. Now i ride almost every day to and from work in Florida short trips only. Those of you that only run 2 weekends a month but longer trips your maintenance will be different. running two up may change your pressures.

Just remember the Galaxy blue bikes are the prettyiest

Oh boy!!!!! Plugs, oil, and tires in one post!!! That'll be enough to keep those guys up north who store their bikes all winter busy arguing until the first spring ride. Maybe Flyinfool and Saddlebum will argue about this and leave us alone down here this winter. Now it's 60 degrees here and I'm off work today, think I'll ride some and feel sorry for those parked northern bikes. :witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::cool10:

Over the past month I believe there have been multiple threads about tires and motor oil and other wear items on the RSV. Now I know this is an open group, but when someone asks a question about replacing a wear items lets stick to the model/generation year in question. Tires that worked well on your 920 virago aren't necessarily the best tire for a Venture. We all can agree that on the RSV (not the road star or others ) the Bridgestones and dunlops of the period were less than adequate! Several folks have stated that the Shinko 777 works well on the RSV now just because you tore one up on your 1000cc ninja doesn't negate their use on an RSV.

The argument goes for spark plugs yes champions make your lawn mower do wheelies but NGKs are better in the RSV.

Vintage Oilzum worked great in grand dads Studebaker but the modern synthetic 20/50 wet clutch oil is best for our bikes.

Arguing against the group because you had a bad experience driving your cousins girlfriends little brother's vintage Norton while running Avon Cobras doesn't mean the tire suck across the board!

When a newbie reacts out lets not start a fight in church about what we think is best and down play everyone else because of other brand/generation/year experiences

So on the RSV especially the 2nd generation the following:

Shinkos E4's Venom and Cobra all seem to be high up there with Michelins and the newer dunlops close behind.

Shell rotella and mobil 1 both seem to top everyone's lists for oil

Broview S7's as the led of choice (so far) technology changes daily on bulbs.

The same with recommended maintenance. I change my oil whenever the trans feels a little sticky or hard to shift (about 1500-200 miles or every three months) Air filters get pulled and cleaned once a year. Seam foam every December 1st. I run 5 lbs from shock 45 lbs rear shock and 37PSI cold both front and rear tires. Now i ride almost every day to and from work in Florida short trips only. Those of you that only run 2 weekends a month but longer trips your maintenance will be different. running two up may change your pressures.

Just remember the Galaxy blue bikes are the prettyiest

I would make a comment but I have never ever owned an RSV and have only worked on one of them = helped @videoarizona replace a back tire on his cause he poked a hole in the one that was on it. :big-grin-emoticon:

That said though, I do got to agree about the Champion Spark plugs,,, stuck one in my John Deere LX and 3rd gear wheelies = no problembo!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Good read Bay!!

I would make a comment but I have never ever owned an RSV and have only worked on one of them = helped videoarizona replace a back tire on his cause he poked a hole in the one that was on it. :big-grin-emoticon:

That said though, I do got to agree about the Champion Spark plugs,,, stuck one in my John Deere LX and 3rd gear wheelies = no problembo!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Good read Bay!!

As I read the OP post, first thing that popped into my mind was Champion plugs in my lawn mowers over the years, but no way I will put them in my RSV. I think the NGKs are proven plug. That being said, he does have a point. But most often, as my fingers move across the keyboard, my mind wanders and I may end up typing anything. But, being in the 60+ age group, that should be allowed. I have accumulated a lot of info over the years and sometimes I just gotta get rid of it. :)

Sticking to the RSV, for me, it's NGK plugs, Dunlop tires, Rotella T6 motor oil, Royal Purple in the final drive and 70s Rock in the CD changer. I will fudge on the tires a little as long as they are wide white walls, but the other options aren't really options for me.

Great post baylensman. It's almost perfect, however you forgot about brake pads! Me personally, I like the ones that slow or stop the bike.:)

I have been searching for "WearForever" tires and "LubeForLife" oil but nobody seems to carry them anymore.

My take :

Shinkos E4's Venom and Cobra all seem to be high up there with Michelins and the newer dunlops close behind. - Dunlop are still the tire to go with

Shell rotella and mobil 1 both seem to top everyone's lists for oil - Rotella T6

Broview S7's as the led of choice (so far) technology changes daily on bulbs. - for run/turn/brake, Custom Dynamics. For passing lights the GE H7616. Headlight - I have an LED bulb from Amazon but not a "big name" one.