IGNORED

Mic Mutes

Wizard765

I was just wondering if anyone has been able to get the Mic Mutes to work on a 1st gen and how hard that is to do?

Seems I'm getting some wind noise from the Navigators headset. She has a Modular helmet and I think with her shield open the wind is buffeting around the chin bar. Mine is a 3/4 helmet and there is no noise at all from it.

Wayne

i saw the mic mutes from air rider on a venture at the star b que last month and got some. i only got to use them for a couple days before i totalled my bike but i noticed a big difference in the wind noise since i wear a 3/4 helmet. these little buttons are just inline on your cords and are not the ppt buttons they also sell. they are either on or off. They are cheap ($36 each) and easy to install. The button worked well in the cord holder on my tank with the rest burried under the plastic cover.

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=506

How does that work for the back seat driver? Does she have one or does she tap you on the shoulder to get you to turn the mics on? It sounds interesting and a fait bit cheaper then the Buddy Rich Mod and so much easier to install.

i saw the mic mutes from air rider on a venture at the star b que last month and got some. i only got to use them for a couple days before i totalled my bike but i noticed a big difference in the wind noise since i wear a 3/4 helmet. these little buttons are just inline on your cords and are not the ppt buttons they also sell. they are either on or off. They are cheap ($36 each) and easy to install. The button worked well in the cord holder on my tank with the rest burried under the plastic cover.

http://www.airrider.com/store/product.php?id=506

Thanks for the input Jercoupe:

That looks like an excellent alternative to the mic mutes if they cannot be fitted to the 1st gen. I'm still wondering if the ones selling for the 2nd gen can be retrofitted to the 1st gen. That way everything is out of site and we use the PTT buttons. Need to get two of these ones to keep the Navigator happy. Also with these you need to reach for them to turn the mic on and off. The PTT button is at my fingertip without letting go of the handle bars.

How does that work for the back seat driver? Does she have one or does she tap you on the shoulder to get you to turn the mics on? It sounds interesting and a fait bit cheaper then the Buddy Rich Mod and so much easier to install.

Maritimer:

It looks to me like you need one each for the driver and the passenger. It appears that it would only control the unit that it was inline with. Maybe Jercoupe can elaborate on that.

Maritimer:

It looks to me like you need one each for the driver and the passenger. It appears that it would only control the unit that it was inline with. Maybe Jercoupe can elaborate on that.

Yep, I got one for both Bev and I but since she wears a full face helmet its only a bit quieter when she turns hers off. My helmet is open so it is a huge difference. When we have the music on speakers she mentioned she can hear it much clearer when my mike is off. All this does is shut off the mic so I can still hear her when mine is off. If i wish to respond i have reach to the button on the tank to push it on. I can do this without even looking. We leave them on when we are on slow roads and may need to chatter about things. The hard wired mike mute available may be a bit neater application but these were cheap and fast. BTW these are not PTT they are on-off buttons. air rider has both kinds

Tx Wizzard765 and Jercoupe for the info. It sounds like a quick fix. If however one decide to get the Zumo 550 GPS, the mic mute might be the fullest solution. But for now, I don't have the zumo and this is a quick 'n easy fix. Cheers

Tx Wizzard765 and Jercoupe for the info. It sounds like a quick fix. If however one decide to get the Zumo 550 GPS, the mic mute might be the fullest solution. But for now, I don't have the zumo and this is a quick 'n easy fix. Cheers

Not sure what you meant by this but I use the mic mute switch and also a zumo 550

It's just that I was reading a Tech Help on the Mic Mute and it seems to work well with a blue tooth phone. One can listen to the music via speakers and the phone will kick in on an incoming phone call in the HeadSet. I am not even sure I understand it correctly. It just seems to be a more all around better setup if you want to take advantage of the blue tooth feature. See if you understand it as I did or if I am out to lunch http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15370&highlight=Mute Cheers

ok i understand you now but since the only person id answer the cell phone for in the first place is sitting behind me i doubt that ill ever do the bluetooth thing. Anyone else wants to call me can just buzz and ill catch you at the next fuel stop.

ok i understand you now but since the only person id answer the cell phone for in the first place is sitting behind me i doubt that ill ever do the bluetooth thing. Anyone else wants to call me can just buzz and ill catch you at the next fuel stop.

LOL Makes sence

• 10 months later...

OMG! as my teeagerdaughters would say. I installed these last spring for my wife and I and I couldn't be happier. I no longer have to listen to all of that background wind noise picked-up through our microphones. They make a world of difference! For those of us who really care about getting the best quality music we can (considering the poor listening environment of a motorcycle on the road), Mic Mutes are the way to go. Yes, they are worth every penny, and probably more. :thumbsup2: Definately, a satisfied customer!

Be Safe!

Pete.

Jercoupe: So if just mine is turned off I would not

engine noise etc. but she still needs hers on

and I still can hear her.?

Then you just hit the button to talk again.

you do not have to hold the button correct?

Thanks,. I think I will order a couple of

these things. thanks for sharing this.

Jeff

You can take a small balloon or finger cot that fits tight over the microphone and then

put the windsock on over the top.This has eliminated all the wind noise for me and The mics still are on all the time and don't have to worry about turning anything off and on.

Headset is now crystal clear and cost me less than $2 for a pack of balloons.

The Venture mics are open by default. With the Mic Mutes, you and your passenger have the option of tapping-on or tapping-off both mics by a tap of your Push to Talk button. When your mics are turned-off, you can listen to just your music or nothing at all in complete silence. If either you or your passenger wants to turn-on or turn-off the mics, a simple tap of the the PTT button is all that's needed.

I never tried Hotrod's suggestion, but that might work well for you, and it's certainly cheap and easy to try out.

Pete.