Hey Folks, Like I said, I've got Yamaha Customer Relations on speed dial and a first name basis!

I want to address a couple issues here concerning questions people have had about the 2018 SVTC.

First is the SOFTWARE version: I just spoke with them and it was CONFIRMED that the software version you should currently have when taking delivery is

VERSION: R12.0.5 They are CURRENTLY working on version .6 BUT it will NOT address the issue with the NAV System being able to only upload 5 way-points. They ARE aware of that issue, but I was told that the fix for that will not be ready before the next software update. BUMMER!!

Secondly is the BACKUP CAMERA: I had previously mentioned that the Infotainment System shows a "backup camera" function and I was looking into proper connection. As stated here and thus my question to Yamaha, the manual is not clear as to WHERE the connection is. It would make sense that it would be behind the D/S saddlebag since that is near where the camera would be installed, yet the manual appears to show the connection at the HEAD UNIT located under the gas tank (nothing like making connectivity easy eh?). The manual also DOES NOT specify the type of connector used.

When talking to Yamaha about it, they stated "I'm running TWO STEPS AHEAD of their engineers right now. They are in the process of developing their OWN backup camera for the bike at this time and therefore WILL NOT tell me what kind of connector is used for TWO reasons. 1. They want to be able to market their OWN camera. 2. (and this is protectionism) they don't want to tell me what type of connector and then if I hook it up and it gets damaged, I'll blame them saying "they told me what to use". I told him I can pull the tank off myself and find out what it is but that I'd rather know in advance so I have parts on hand WHEN I pull it off. His argument about possible damage is specious at best and actually just a marketing protection move.

My tank is being replaced next week from some paint issues I've mentioned in these forums, so I'll just find out myself at that time.

On a side note: For those of you who have thousands of your favorite MP3's, you can download them onto a USB (I'm using a 32GB) and plug it into USB1 (rht front best) or USB2 (trunk) and it will play your songs. Here's the info I supplied to Yamaha to correct a "search-ability" issue. You MUST go into the "properties" of EACH SONG and VERIFY you have the information filled in for TITLE, ARTIST, ALBUM & GENRE for it to be searchable. If you don't do this, then it will play the songs in the order you put them on the stick and nothing else. If the info is filled out, you can then play your music SPECIFICALLY by the category filters previously mentioned.

I hope this helps those interested. I'll update on the camera issue as more information becomes available.

RIDE SAFE & RIDE PROUD MY FRIENDS! 2018 SVTC ROCKS!!

Any information about the cb and intercom? When using the intercom when the cb is on it will broadcast over the cb.

They are aware of the issue but not sure if it’s part of the next software update.

As an engineer myself, I kinda chewed on them at what I perceive as poorly thought out rollout. When I’m asking questions and wanting to do stuff such as the backup camera and they tell me I’m running TWO steps ahead of their engineering department, It’s not good. There is not a single function or nuance of operation that should not have been figured out in detail PRIOR to release IMHO. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my SVTC, but I don’t handle perceived stupidity when it’s really just common sense.

I try to be nice when calling Yam cuz I don’t want them to get tired of me calling. Maybe they should bring me in as an outside engineering contractor?! Just kidding!

As soon as I hear any further developments, I’ll be sure and post it.

They are aware of the issue but not sure if it’s part of the next software update.

As an engineer myself, I kinda chewed on them at what I perceive as poorly thought out rollout. When I’m asking questions and wanting to do stuff such as the backup camera and they tell me I’m running TWO steps ahead of their engineering department, It’s not good. There is not a single function or nuance of operation that should not have been figured out in detail PRIOR to release IMHO. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my SVTC, but I don’t handle perceived stupidity when it’s really just common sense.

I try to be nice when calling Yam cuz I don’t want them to get tired of me calling. Maybe they should bring me in as an outside engineering contractor?! Just kidding!

And there is the issue. COMMON SENSE went out the window to make room for political correctness. The lack of common sense in our modern world scares me.

After the techno glitch on the new SVTC happened at Sturgis (shown in the video below at 2:25 on the time line) , I actually asked the factory techs if there was any concern on their part about the speed that computer technology becomes obsolete now that a major selling/marketing point for new touring bikes leans so heavy on technology (thinking the modern "info systems" therein are nothing more then little computers).. My initial thoughts revolved around another - :scared: moment cause it seems to me like some of this computer stuff is

almost obsolete by the time it gets into the consumers hands (I know,,, another one of those "Puc's crazy" moments but hey,, gimmeee a break - I am no puter geek)... Those savvy techs straightened me out though and informed me that what you guys are getting on the new bikes is miles ahead of the game and that the younger generation of new touring riders was gonna love the stuff (they knew my old school bikin way equates to less=more).. That said,, I am actually not surprised that the technology items being hidden within the technology on the SVTC is one of something planned for the future.. Makes sense..

Hey Folks, Like I said, I've got Yamaha Customer Relations on speed dial and a first name basis!

I want to address a couple issues here concerning questions people have had about the 2018 SVTC.

First is the SOFTWARE version: I just spoke with them and it was CONFIRMED that the software version you should currently have when taking delivery is

VERSION: R12.0.5 They are CURRENTLY working on version .6 BUT it will NOT address the issue with the NAV System being able to only upload 5 way-points. They ARE aware of that issue, but I was told that the fix for that will not be ready before the next software update. BUMMER!!

Secondly is the BACKUP CAMERA: I had previously mentioned that the Infotainment System shows a "backup camera" function and I was looking into proper connection. As stated here and thus my question to Yamaha, the manual is not clear as to WHERE the connection is. It would make sense that it would be behind the D/S saddlebag since that is near where the camera would be installed, yet the manual appears to show the connection at the HEAD UNIT located under the gas tank (nothing like making connectivity easy eh?). The manual also DOES NOT specify the type of connector used.

When talking to Yamaha about it, they stated "I'm running TWO STEPS AHEAD of their engineers right now. They are in the process of developing their OWN backup camera for the bike at this time and therefore WILL NOT tell me what kind of connector is used for TWO reasons. 1. They want to be able to market their OWN camera. 2. (and this is protectionism) they don't want to tell me what type of connector and then if I hook it up and it gets damaged, I'll blame them saying "they told me what to use". I told him I can pull the tank off myself and find out what it is but that I'd rather know in advance so I have parts on hand WHEN I pull it off. His argument about possible damage is specious at best and actually just a marketing protection move.

My tank is being replaced next week from some paint issues I've mentioned in these forums, so I'll just find out myself at that time.

On a side note: For those of you who have thousands of your favorite MP3's, you can download them onto a USB (I'm using a 32GB) and plug it into USB1 (rht front best) or USB2 (trunk) and it will play your songs. Here's the info I supplied to Yamaha to correct a "search-ability" issue. You MUST go into the "properties" of EACH SONG and VERIFY you have the information filled in for TITLE, ARTIST, ALBUM & GENRE for it to be searchable. If you don't do this, then it will play the songs in the order you put them on the stick and nothing else. If the info is filled out, you can then play your music SPECIFICALLY by the category filters previously mentioned.

I hope this helps those interested. I'll update on the camera issue as more information becomes available.

RIDE SAFE & RIDE PROUD MY FRIENDS! 2018 SVTC ROCKS!!

The playlist for the MP3 files can be made using M3U format. Playlist Creator is a free download that is very simply and fast to use.

Thanks for all your follow up, my guess is Yamaha’s back up camera will retail for $279.95 plus tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your follow up, my guess is Yamaha’s back up camera will retail for $279.95 plus tax.

Probably another reason why they don’t want to give me any information about hookup fittings used.

This little camera is HD & IR for night vision one of the best bang for your buck with great reviews and easy install. It mounts right across the top of your license plate AND it’s LESS than $25. The mounting blends in and is very “stealthy” looking.

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Reversing-149%C2%B0Perfect-Waterproof-Universal/dp/B074KZSVD6

Probably another reason why they don’t want to give me any information about hookup fittings used.

This little camera is HD & IR for night vision one of the best bang for your buck with great reviews and easy install. It mounts right across the top of your license plate AND it’s LESS than $25. The mounting blends in and is very “stealthy” looking.

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Reversing-149%C2%B0Perfect-Waterproof-Universal/dp/B074KZSVD6

Looks like it’s made to mount in the holes of a car plate mount. Did/will holes need to be drilled in the plastic and length cut off to fit the bike? Otherwise, if the GPS Head unit has the RCA input, it looks like it might be plug and play.

Looks like it’s made to mount in the holes of a car plate mount. Did/will holes need to be drilled in the plastic and length cut off to fit the bike? Otherwise, if the GPS Head unit has the RCA input, it looks like it might be plug and play.

I’ll let you know specifics as soon as I have it in hand. I’ll find out shortly the connection type which is probably most likely RCA Jack. A USB would probably not deal well with the environment & vibration.

I’ll post more specifics as I go through the process.

Interesting about the software version. I just went out and checked mine and I'm at R11.9.08.01. When I go into Yamaha Toolbox it says that there are no updates. Is this something that the dealer needs to do???

Interesting about the software version. I just went out and checked mine and I'm at R11.9.08.01. When I go into Yamaha Toolbox it says that there are no updates. Is this something that the dealer needs to do???

As far as I know, the toolbox is only for GPS maps updates. For the entire infotainment system, you have to go here:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring/pages/infotainment-software-update

But, as you can see at the top (as of this posting), it says, "Sofware Updates are Temporarily Unavailable for Download." So the download WILL be customer downloadable, when it comes out. And that will be, if the guy who spoke to my dealer today is to be believed, in a couple of weeks or so... ish...

That isn't the only route. The owner can also download the latest Infotainment Software Version, but...because of something in version 12.0.6 foo barring the control head, they quickly took it down, and when you try to download from the Infotainment Update Server, it tells you that it is 'temporarily off-line' due to issues found with v12.0.6 Temporarily can be for many weeks, I guess...it's been 'out-of-service' for quite a while now.

When it gets back up, you can check regularly and then download the latest version onto a USB drive and then install the update right at your home. I actually downloaded in prep, the v12.0.6, but when I saw they had taken it down...deleted it off of my computer.

As far as I know, the toolbox is only for GPS maps updates. For the entire infotainment system, you have to go here:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring/pages/infotainment-software-update

But, as you can see at the top (as of this posting), it says, "Sofware Updates are Temporarily Unavailable for Download." So the download WILL be customer downloadable, when it comes out. And that will be, if the guy who spoke to my dealer today is to be believed, in a couple of weeks or so... ish...

Thank you for the link!