IGNORED

A honest question...wondering about the Harley Davidson Co's standing into the future

YamahaParExcellence

My house is 2acres back on a gravel driveway. Just go slow and easy & no problem.

In answer to “why the backup camera” number 1 is because ITS COOL AS CRAP! Number 2 is because you can see much better directly how your rig is towing than you can in side view. Number 3 is that it’s really easy to get the license # of the jerk tailgating you! Number 4 (and you’ll understand this shortly with your own bike) the SVTC is a BIG girl. It’s sometimes difficult to see the back of her butt when moving backwards in a tight situation. The camera I’m getting has night IR and parking guide lines. I can see it clearly even in the dark.

Hope that helps!

"It's cool as crap.." LOL...I like that...and who needs another reason, huh?

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chief...please tell me again why you want a back up camera on your bike? You can't just look into either your left or right rear-view mirror, for anything obstructive? I've never heard of such a thing :)

I have a question...in all those 5,000 miles (which is amazing for how long you have had it..) have you ever heard a stone flip up..and get caught into the belt drive train? That's the one thing only that I have heard, one must be careful (no back country roads, if you can help it...) of, with belt drive.

My house is 2acres back on a gravel driveway. Just go slow and easy & no problem.

In answer to “why the backup camera” number 1 is because ITS COOL AS CRAP! Number 2 is because you can see much better directly how your rig is towing than you can in side view. Number 3 is that it’s really easy to get the license # of the jerk tailgating you! Number 4 (and you’ll understand this shortly with your own bike) the SVTC is a BIG girl. It’s sometimes difficult to see the back of her butt when moving backwards in a tight situation. The camera I’m getting has night IR and parking guide lines. I can see it clearly even in the dark.

Hope that helps!

PARKING GUIDES?!?!? Parking guides?!? Wow....now THAT is amazing...on a motorcycle yet :)

"It's cool as crap.." LOL...I like that...and who needs another reason, huh?

Part of my CTFW makeup and being one who still lives/rides by The Code - requires me to, if possible, stop and help my brothers/sisters who find themselves stalled on the side of the road or trail on a scoot - all brands/models. Been pretty much that way my whole life... I have, on more than one occasion, stopped to help in a popped belt situation and I have witnessed the perverbial failure from debris BUT - I gotta say - it is amazing (IMHO) how uncommon that actually is.. Statistically, it is a far less of an occurrence that getting a flat tire from the same = IMHO...

If I recall,, without looking at my Youtube blog about the new Venture,, the new one is right hand drive and still not a design that requires a splitting of the primary/clutch (as a left side drive HD does = SAD when you stop to help a brother in need who has popped a belt on a big twin HD = major major big $ repair lies ahead for this person and nothing you can do at roadside for em except give em your water jug to drink from while waiting for the meat wagon). I think if I purchased a new one, at first tire swap I would investigate the process of belt replacement and see if it was doable at roadside.. If so,, I would probably invest in a spare belt as we enjoy back roading/two tracking and even some single tracking as part of our CTFW fun and I wouldnt want to risk getting caught in the middle of nowhere with no option... If I were gonna stay straight up pavement touring,,,,, maybe I would skip the spare and just grab a ride on the back of another riders scoot who also lives The Code to grab a new belt if something happened...

BACK UP CAMERA?? :scared:

Parking guides for backing up??:scared:

Honda's new Wing has a DCT Tranny and its selling like HOT CAKES??????:scared:

I KNOW I am a backwards thinkin,, odd ball old school dork of a "two wheels and a motor = a motorcycle" lop eared varmint but,,,,, somebody please :sign67: the boy (me) - I think I am loosing it here:sick:

:big-grin-emoticon:

Part of my CTFW makeup and being one who still lives/rides by The Code - requires me to, if possible, stop and help my brothers/sisters who find themselves stalled on the side of the road or trail on a scoot - all brands/models. Been pretty much that way my whole life... I have, on more than one occasion, stopped to help in a popped belt situation and I have witnessed the perverbial failure from debris BUT - I gotta say - it is amazing (IMHO) how uncommon that actually is.. Statistically, it is a far less of an occurrence that getting a flat tire from the same = IMHO...

If I recall,, without looking at my Youtube blog about the new Venture,, the new one is right hand drive and still not a design that requires a splitting of the primary/clutch (as a left side drive HD does = SAD when you stop to help a brother in need who has popped a belt on a big twin HD = major major big $ repair lies ahead for this person and nothing you can do at roadside for em except give em your water jug to drink from while waiting for the meat wagon). I think if I purchased a new one, at first tire swap I would investigate the process of belt replacement and see if it was doable at roadside.. If so,, I would probably invest in a spare belt as we enjoy back roading/two tracking and even some single tracking as part of our CTFW fun and I wouldnt want to risk getting caught in the middle of nowhere with no option... If I were gonna stay straight up pavement touring,,,,, maybe I would skip the spare and just grab a ride on the back of another riders scoot who also lives The Code to grab a new belt if something happened...

BACK UP CAMERA?? :scared:

Parking guides for backing up??:scared:

Honda's new Wing has a DCT Tranny and its selling like HOT CAKES??????:scared:

I KNOW I am a backwards thinkin,, odd ball old school dork of a "two wheels and a motor = a motorcycle" lop eared varmint but,,,,, somebody please :sign67: the boy (me) - I think I am loosing it here:sick:

:big-grin-emoticon:

Ten Four, on the 'losing it, here' Back up camera's...wow..next year, the 2019 SVTC will have a mini microwave, and bar fridge on the left side of the tour trunk...mark my words, LOL. You know, Puc...thanks for your comments about the drive belt. I think that I'm just going to buy a brand new one...have it in the bike...for whatever...and then, when I need to swap out the OEM...will use that new one, in the bike...and then put the OEM.. as my touring back up. That was suggested on another forum...don't throw it out, if it is not broken, but merely worn.

I read ya...automatic transmissions, back-up cameras...are we talking about a motorcycle, or an SUV?!? The lines are getting blurred...despite only 2 wheels on the ride....if those who rode Harleys and Indians in the 1940's could see this...I would love to see the look on their faces, visiting their modern HD or Indian dealer...:) On off-roads, the next new thing, will be a bike equipped with an electric wench....if you screw up, and put it into a ravine...no worries...pull out the lines...hook it around a tree...and pressing a button...wench yourself out.. That's probably next, for enduros...

Ten Four, on the 'losing it, here' Back up camera's...wow..next year, the 2019 SVTC will have a mini microwave, and bar fridge on the left side of the tour trunk...mark my words, LOL. You know, Puc...thanks for your comments about the drive belt. I think that I'm just going to buy a brand new one...have it in the bike...for whatever...and then, when I need to swap out the OEM...will use that new one, in the bike...and then put the OEM.. as my touring back up. That was suggested on another forum...don't throw it out, if it is not broken, but merely worn.

I read ya...automatic transmissions, back-up cameras...are we talking about a motorcycle, or an SUV?!? The lines are getting blurred...despite only 2 wheels on the ride....if those who rode Harleys and Indians in the 1940's could see this...I would love to see the look on their faces, visiting their modern HD or Indian dealer...:) On off-roads, the next new thing, will be a bike equipped with an electric wench....if you screw up, and put it into a ravine...no worries...pull out the lines...hook it around a tree...and pressing a button...wench yourself out.. That's probably next, for enduros...

First off, if you need to get OUT of trouble you’re gonna need a WINCH! If you want to get INTO trouble then by all means get a WENCH! :big-grin-emoticon: Your KILLIN me dude! ROFLMBO!

First off, if you need to get OUT of trouble you’re gonna need a WINCH! If you want to get INTO trouble then by all means get a WENCH! :big-grin-emoticon: Your KILLIN me dude! ROFLMBO!

So, you caught that, huh? I was waiting to see, if anybody figured that out....you are in a ravine at the bottom of a dark...deep ravine.....and you have a wench...lol. Good on you! My snarky sense of humor...lol

You win a prize....ten extra years on your 5 year warranty....! I'll have Yamaha send it to you...just don't hold your breath 'for prompt delivery'. LOLOLOLOLOL It might take up to 7 months!

Joe

Had some phone calls and biz stuff to do on-line before heading out today....so saw this before signing off until tonight;

From Concord, Ontario to the dealer, 120 miles.

Dealer said that as soon as we high-tail it out there to (my request) view the actual shipping carton, then perhaps Thursday or Friday for the ride home.

Joe

YPE,

I'm super excited you're gonna get your bike soon! Won't be long now, you'll be rolling down the road with the Ol Kool and the Gang tunes blaring. I'm an Earth Wind and Fire guy myself.

Hey YPE......come here real close......I wanna tell you something that some others here might not need to hear.....They might get off-ended............come here real close........really quiet now I'm gonna tell ya; You made the right choice on color, red is the best! Shhhhhh, don't tell anybody I said that.

[/size]

YPE,

I'm super excited you're gonna get your bike soon! Won't be long now, you'll be rolling down the road with the Ol Kool and the Gang tunes blaring. I'm an Earth Wind and Fire guy myself.

Hey YPE......come here real close......I wanna tell you something that some others here might not need to hear.....They might get off-ended............come here real close........really quiet now I'm gonna tell ya; You made the right choice on color, red is the best! Shhhhhh, don't tell anybody I said that.

[/size]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You betcha! My red van, my red Kawa, my just traded in red Wing, my favorite sweater, shirt...tie...they all agree. No argument, here....and oh...let's add the new RED SVTC to the fold. (Check Mark!), "and oh...when I get embarrassed, my RED face!"

Joe

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You betcha! My red van, my red Kawa, my just traded in red Wing, my favorite sweater, shirt...tie...they all agree. No argument, here....and oh...let's add the new RED SVTC to the fold. (Check Mark!), "and oh...when I get embarrassed, my RED face!"

Joe

I just started a new thread with info dealing with SVTC SOFTWARE, BACKUP CAMERA, NAV SYSTEM & INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM.

Well, I see this thread is 'deep' in discussion but I wanted to speak in this for a moment.

Ever since I was a kid there's been ONE defining factor of why I have never owned a Harley...

THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH!

In '94 my first bike was a 1982 Yamaha XS-II 650 for $750 with the carbs COMPLETELY screwed-up by old fuel. But, oh what a way to learn about a bike. My first car was a Toyota Corolla. I started wrenching on metrics. They took the hell of me being a kid (I'd race my Corolla) and they could be fixed without destroying me financially.

Every bike I've owned has been a metric. And the prices of HD's has just gone up and up and up and up...

Two days ago I'm at a local shop and the owner balanced my tire with a bubble-balancer (I haven't seen anyone balance with a bubble in 20+ years!) and we talked about several items. He described HD's as a 'fashion statement' and that many friends that he's known that's purchased them no longer have them.

I made a trip yesterday and seen 2 GL1200's that looked fantastic! My '89 Royale gets MASSIVE chat by people when I stop because they've not seen one in AGES or other topics (I just love I've got an antique plate on it).

Yes, I want a new bike. But, it'll be a metric. I won't consider having a HD unless someone gives me one or I have a POWERBALL to apply to the payment!