IGNORED

This has been one heck of a nail biter and crazy ride folks...getting my bike!

Also the weather notifications work well. Received a pop up about incoming severe thunderstorms similar to the way the text messages show up. And that was accurate and timely as well. It also kept that same alert on other screens you can see in the below picture.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180515/ce9bf66a4eb5b8e9f8c58deb1dcdf9d0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve had that come up a few times on mine too. I really love the tech level of this bike.

Dont get me wrong in my comment here because I too think the technology is pretty cool too but,, I still get uneasy when thinking about someone on a scoot taking their eyes off the road to look down at a little TV screen..

I KNOW,, I am strange and dorky in a geezerly old school way about this stuff.. I mentioned the above point to the Mom Yam reps at Sturgis last year after being shown how this amazing sell point works and was told by them that todays younger riders are extremely familiar with the in's and out's of handling all the new techology like this even when on two wheels and that my point was really a minor issue but it still concerns me..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong in my comment here because I too think the technology is pretty cool too but,, I still get uneasy when thinking about someone on a scoot taking their eyes off the road to look down at TV screen..

I KNOW,, I am strange and dorky in a geezerly old school way.. I mentioned the above point to the Mom Yam reps at Sturgis last year after being shown how this amazing sell point and was told by them that todays younger riders are extremely familiar with the in's and out's of handling all the new techology like this and that my point was really a minor issue but it still concerns me..

At least in this case, i don't see it as a concern. I always ride with the map screen displayed - and usually with GPS navigation to route me around traffic. On that screen in top right corner is current speed and speed limit. Because of this I actually never look at the speedometer.

The severe weather notification is a huge overlay that can't be missed. Just glancing down to check speed, the message hits you in the face.

Unless taking your eyes off the road to check speed is reckless, I see this notification as no different.

Thought it was interesting so I pulled over to switch between screens to see what they showed - and took this picture.

There is risk of people interacting with the infotainment system in a distracting manner. I'd argue that most (definitely not all) bike riders are acutely aware of the dangers of distraction from the many times everyday idiots in cages try to kill us bikers.

As a general rule, I believe motorcycle riders on average are much better drivers due to ingrained heightened sense of situational awareness.

I read in another thread that Yamahas sales projection is 2500. It is not likely that they will have hit that in the first few months of it being available. So even if they have sold 50% of the bikes they thought they would sell this year that's about 1250 bikes.

This means that sightings being rare is expected, at least outside of events that attract lots of bikers to be all in one place.

I've had mine for about six weeks now and the only one I've seen on the road is the one I'm riding. I'm up to about five thousand miles so far and have been in Maryland, Virginia West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario.

I still get asked about it almost everywhere I go. Some folks are familiar with the bike but most aren't. Crossing the border at Niagara Falls last Friday night took me a few extra minutes because buddy at the border crossing was familiar with the bike and had a lot of questions.

I saw a grey one coming north up Young Street, just north of Hog's Hollow (for those that know T.O.) He did a double take, as I did...and as we closed on each other, we started waving and big *ss grins were both on our faces. He looked to be between 55-65 years of age. Probably the proper demographics to have the money to pay out around $37,000.00 CDN when all is in. So...that is the first other SVTC I've seen in Toronto. There are others, in town, and across Ontario, and will be fun to see them this summer. I hope we don't end up like HD's...twenty pass your location every 15 minutes....not too, exclusive, lol!

I want to be..er...'exclusive', this Summer...yeah...petty...but the truth...lol.

Dont get me wrong in my comment here because I too think the technology is pretty cool too but,, I still get uneasy when thinking about someone on a scoot taking their eyes off the road to look down at a little TV screen..

I KNOW,, I am strange and dorky in a geezerly old school way about this stuff.. I mentioned the above point to the Mom Yam reps at Sturgis last year after being shown how this amazing sell point works and was told by them that todays younger riders are extremely familiar with the in's and out's of handling all the new techology like this even when on two wheels and that my point was really a minor issue but it still concerns me..

Dont get ur fur all in knots ya lop eared varmint. You don’t HAVE to read it cuz it vocally comes across ALL speakers. The written warning is in case you have the system “muted” and can’t hear.

At least in this case, i don't see it as a concern. I always ride with the map screen displayed - and usually with GPS navigation to route me around traffic. On that screen in top right corner is current speed and speed limit. Because of this I actually never look at the speedometer.

The severe weather notification is a huge overlay that can't be missed. Just glancing down to check speed, the message hits you in the face.

Unless taking your eyes off the road to check speed is reckless, I see this notification as no different.

Thought it was interesting so I pulled over to switch between screens to see what they showed - and took this picture.

There is risk of people interacting with the infotainment system in a distracting manner. I'd argue that most (definitely not all) bike riders are acutely aware of the dangers of distraction from the many times everyday idiots in cages try to kill us bikers.

As a general rule, I believe motorcycle riders on average are much better drivers due to ingrained heightened sense of situational awareness.

I agree. Well said Daniel.

was told by them that todays younger riders are extremely familiar with the in's and out's of handling all the new techology like this even when on two wheels

Ya but is it today's younger riders that are buying this bike ?