IGNORED

First Oil Change on my 2018 Venture TC

So I had the shop do the 600 mile oil change, but I usually do my own and was a little nervous doing the 4,000 mile change this weekend. The part that mad me really nervous was that I wasn't going to use the Yamaha oil filter and guessed that the K&N 303 would work. So here's a little break down of my experience.

There are 3 drain plugs and 2 fill ports: kind of painful, but OK. The oil tank drain plug faces straight down and that stuff comes flying out quick so you gotta be ready. The other 2 drain plugs face the frame so you aren't getting a ratchet on either one. They weren't too bad to access though (especially if you have experience working on the Roadstar).

The oil filter on the other hand was a pain in the badonka donk. I didn't happen to have the proper little bitty oil filter wrench so I ended up using a pair of channel lock pliers so get that tight thing off, but with hoses in the way it made it really tight to get in there.

The K&N 303 fit like a charm and this oil filter has the square at the top so you can use a wrench to take it off next time. This will make it much easier. Another good thing is that you don't have to start the motor half way through filling up to allow for getting all of the oil in. 3 quarts in the tank and the rest in the crank(case).

Thanks for listening.

Yea when I talked to the rep last week he was telling me, the semi-dry sump set up is one way they got the weight down low and narrowed up the stance. Seems they always can make a simple job harder than it needs to be.

Was wondering did you find The Venture top heavy.I am going from a 2001 Goldwing

Most are reporting a very lite feel to the bike's handling. My dealer reported that they just got back feedback from delivering a grey T.C to a client. He called in after his first ride, to rave about how much lighter is the feel in turns and banking, over his late model Gold Wing, he just came from. I'm coming from a 2008 Gold Wing myself, so will anticipating my first ride, hopefully by next week's end. That's of course, if there is no snow, or salt splayed upon the roadways....

Hi Tealw1

What was the cost of your 4000 mile service and what was included in it? Also, what type of wear are you showing on the tires?

I did the service myself so it was 6 qts of oil and the filter.

I'm at 5k miles now and the rear looks like I can get another 4-5 out of it i think. I really have to slow down, I've been running from 80 to 110 everywhere I go.

Could you use an oil drain valve on the tank? I am thinking of the Fumoto valve I put on my car to replace the plug. I snap a hose on the valve and drain right into an empty jug.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You may be able to use the valve on the tank drain as it points straight down, but the motor/trans drains are right next to the frame.

Most are reporting a very lite feel to the bike's handling. My dealer reported that they just got back feedback from delivering a grey T.C to a client. He called in after his first ride, to rave about how much lighter is the feel in turns and banking, over his late model Gold Wing, he just came from. I'm coming from a 2008 Gold Wing myself, so will anticipating my first ride, hopefully by next week's end. That's of course, if there is no snow, or salt splayed upon the roadways....

I can vouch that it is NOT top heavy. It doesn't fall into turns like I thought it might, it really feels like it's easing into turns at any speed. The center of gravity is really low and I just love riding it.

I can vouch that it is NOT top heavy. It doesn't fall into turns like I thought it might, it really feels like it's easing into turns at any speed. The center of gravity is really low and I just love riding it.

Awesome!

That was my experience as well.

Just a reminder if you are going to move the bars up or down put 4 inches of jacket or towels. If the bars drop the switch towers will dent the tank.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk