IGNORED

Clutch Problem ?????

I feel as I should Apologize to everyone for not checking in once in a while. You know how it is you get tided up into the daily living and forget about the help and friends that are right in front of you.. Until life reaches out and grabs you by the ......

Well in any case here is my problem... was out riding the other night with my 04 trike and as I went through the gears I though I felt the clutch slip. But when I tried to make it slip latter by accelerating in 5th gear going up a hill it felt fine. But latter I thought I felt it again.. Now my question is....am I losing my mind or is this what happens when the clutch starts to go out ?

Any help is welcome Thanks Mike

Yeah, sounds like it's starting to slip. The clutches are strange, I've always thought the clutch slips more when the oil is hot but with my RSV it seems to slip more when I first start it up and the oil is cool.

Yep, going to have to start thinking about fixing it. It's not something that will just up and quit, it takes a while.

Jerry

Mike,

Sounds like the typical clutch slippage on the G2's, really not a big deal. It's a fairly easy fix and not real expensive. 2 options basically to upgrade the system, one being a Barnett and the other being a kit from PCW.

I have done several of the PCW upgrades and have been VERY happy with the results from them. It's an inexpensive kit about $90 and you can change it out with the bike on it's sidestand without loosing any oil (yeah I just noticed the trike). I have also done a couple of the Barnett kits, which work well too, but cost a bit more money.

I recommend the PCW, heres the site http://www.pcwracing.net/ John Gayne is a great guy to deal with and I have talked with him on the phone several times. I'll throw out too that if you would like some help with changing it out, I'd be glad to assisit you. Hope this helps you out a bit.

I really didn't want to change out the clutch but better to fix it now then to do it when on vacation.

Thank You for taking the time to help out....This is a great source of knowledge and friendly help....

Thanks again Mike

PS... Is this something I can do without special tools ???

Way back when I did my clutch (about 23k miles in the past) someone suggested replacing the aluminum bolts fastening the clutch pressure plate with the same size in stainless steel, which I did. It seems the aluminum bolts were too easy to shear while tightening. The only special tool I used was a torque wrench for the pressure plate bolts and the housing bolts.

I really didn't want to change out the clutch but better to fix it now then to do it when on vacation.

Thank You for taking the time to help out....This is a great source of knowledge and friendly help....

Thanks again Mike

Like Mike (Albino Rhino) mentioned, a torque wrench is nice as you can break off the pressure plate bolts easily as I believe the torque is 6 ft lbs (5.8)

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to really try out that new clutch and yes it works great... thanks for all the help and info.. this is truly a great site and great people... THANKS again.... Mike

P.S. Squidley, you were right, it really isn't a big deal to change it. Thanks for your in put and informational help...You are right the people from PCW are great to deal with...

I finally got a chance to really try out that new clutch and yes it works great... thanks for all the help and info.. this is truly a great site and great people... THANKS again.... Mike

Mike.

Did you change all of the friction discs or did you just add the one that came with the spring kit?

Thanks