IGNORED

Which Bike would suit me?

Kretz

So here's the dilemma, we are looking at moving from a busy, small city with some heavy traffic, to a much smaller, quieter rural area. There are a paved roads, but many of the regular roads are gravel, (they seem to be well maintained) & just last week I saw them being groomed with a grader. There are also lots of forest "trails" that are not groomed as are the gravel roadways.

Now while my RSTD & my Vulcan are great 'on pavement' bikes they might not be so great on those types of roads. So I'm sorta thinking of something more "adventure style" bike but I have no experience & the only model I know is the Suzuki V-Strom. (DL1000) We often ride two up so that's why I'm thinking 1000cc but that may also change & 650cc may be big enough for me (also lighter to handle)

I know I have to visit a stealership & try/ sit on some of these machines, I'm a bit concerned about seat height (I'm 6ft & 240lbs with a 31" inseam) but most from my recollection seem very tall. Whatever I get it wouldn't be new it would have to be used.

What alternatives are there? Any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Talking 650 dual sport scoots (early "adventure" bikes but I was in it real deep even before adventure bikes were called dual sport bikes = back in the day they were called "Enduro's,, named after racing enduro's" and Yamaha stole the name and used it on their early dual sport bikes.. Anyway,, I like to split dual sport scoots up by a ratio of road use friendly to woods use friendly.. An example is (this is my opinion formed from owning/riding both) the Kawi 650 KLR is a "tank" of a scoot when used in the woods = it would be 80% road and 20% trail friendly. The Honda XR650R is wayyy cooler for off roading,, definitely a worthy piece for both but more trail oriented with its lighter weight and more responsive motor (the KLR is CV Carbed - Honda is mechanical just to start with = Honda is way lighter too) resulting in more of a 60% trail, 40% road.. Either of those bikes have been popular for years and should be easy to find a good one at a reasonable price..

Of course, KTM is wayy ahead of its time and very popular in the Adventure scoot bikes.. Problem is (IMHO) that they tend to get pricey in both initial purchase and in repair stuff.. Other hand, if it matters,, is that in the enduro/adventure bike world = KTM is like HD in the street world = HUGE following,, almost cult like in its presentation.. The KTM brand was born out of the Penton world of the late 60's/early 70's.. I raced against a lot of the Penton riders back in the day. Later in life I got invited to speak at a Penton Owners Group/KTM business meeting and spent some time afterwards yakking with John Penton (founder = Penton Motorcycles) about the current Adventure bike world.. He let me in on a secret that many of the modern off shore bike producers see the "adventure bike" world as THE next step in the mass production of motorcycles.. That was over 15 years ago and, from what I see happening out in the modern touring world while out CTFW in obscure places = John Penton nailed it!!

Suzuki made a 650 that, although it was more of an 80% road,, like the KLR,, it actually sat a lot more like the old twin shock bikes in that you sat more down into the bike instead of feeling like you were sitting wayyy up there in the clouds.. Problem is that anything in that design results in less boingering for the suspention.. Lots and lots of travel in the boingers is a good thing.. The Suzuki tended to be quite a soft/plush ride. I also dont think the Suzi had the following of the Honda or KLR and,, if memory serves - the Suzi was air cooled so not quite as durable.

If it were me (if it were me and I was able to go back into the woods,, I would find another KX500 2 stroking RIPPER and street legal it = WOW do they fly!!) I would snag onto an XR Honda, set it up for my weight and ride wheelies coming out of the forests till the cows quit makin the trails slippery with their cowpuc:big-grin-emoticon:

The either Vstrom is a good choice, and for a few more $$ the Yama Super Tenere is very nice. For solo only the 650 singles, Kawa KLR or Suzuki DLR 650 are fine. There are a lot of accessories out there for the 650 singles. The Triumph adventure bikes are very good, but finding a used one would be more difficult. http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/adventure-and-touring.