IGNORED

Old expressions. Just for fun.

baylensman

I actually used one this morning.........Cathy and I normally sit out on our front porch and have our morning coffee.

I said to her......"It looks like today is going to be a CARBON COPY of yesterday."

A story that goes with this.......Just before I retired at work I was over seeing the last weapon destruction I would be involved with. Well, I was training the younger guy who was my replacement and working with the two younger female civilians that were the data input clerks. As we are destroying firearms the checks and balances to insure everything is done properly means all 4 of us have to witness each and every firearm is actually destroyed and then we each sign off on it. Just as we were ready to start the one young lady says, I forgot to make copies of the list and our photocopier is broken. I'll have to run up to the 2nd floor to make copies. (We were in the basement loading dock area.) I said just go in my office and grab a couple of sheet of blank paper and some carbon paper out of my desk, we can make the copies that way, to sign off on. She ask me what carbon paper was?! I said carbon paper you know you put between the paper when your writing to make copies. I had 3 blank faces looking at me, they didn't have a clue.

When I say younger, I was 58 and they were early to mid 30's.

Even the photocopier, is actually an all in one, printer, scanner, fax and smart machine. You don't really ever use the fax part of it cause you just eMail the document with the smart functions. Nobody faxes anymore....:backinmyday:

Southwestern Ontario Canucks (London to Windsor) often employed "Flatter than piss on a plate" to describe the terrain.

There are only two 'hills' while riding over 100 miles of hwy 401 between the two cities - both are railway overpasses.

No lie, eh!~

Hugs, WRIDR

When is the last time you saw a mimeograph machine? In grade 5 every Friday I used to get three of the best on each hand with the razor strop.

Told one young girl I would " catch ya later" meaning I'll see you later. She thought I was going to chase her down and catch her.

My mom always said I did not need to worry about drowning as I was born to hang.

Back in olden times when armies fought with swords, pikes and shields the most effective soldiers were the Archers. Archers were the most feared and the most hated type of soldiers there was because of their effective weapon, the bow and arrow. Archers could fling clouds of arrows from great distances thinning the opposing armies out way before they could get into effective range to use the hand to hand combat weapons of the day. Since Archers killed from safe distances they were despised as cowards.

So if Archers ever got captured they usually were tortured rather than being given the honor of a hero's quick death.

The most favorite form of torture that they would use on the Archers was to cut off their middle finger on their bow string hand so they could no longer pluck the bow string and fling arrows great distances. This would effectively destroy the Archers specific skill rendering them useless as Archers.

So when opposing armies would square off against each other and before the battle would start, in an act of defiance, all the Archers who had not been captured would raise there middle finger high in the air to show their enemies that they still had their plucking finger. That display of defiance would often be accompanied with a loud cry in unison of all the Archers, "WE WILL PLUCK YOU TO DEATH"

Through the years that insult has morphed into a common insult that means something completely different today that I am too much of gentlemen to repeat in this forum.

*** Where's the beef?

*** Corn needs to be knee high by the 4th of July

*** So broke I cant pay attention

*** we used to walk uphill both ways to school

*** I am tired of being told what to do, I am joining the Marines

*** Dont forget to wind your Timex

*** Fine as frogs hair

*** She's got bats in her belfry

*** This is gonna hurt me more than its gonna hurt you

*** Smart as whip

*** In a pigs eye

*** Goin Banana's

*** Now we're cookin with hot grease

Back in MY DAY! I'm 45 BTW. We had to use something called the Encyclopedia to do research. Or go to the library and use Microfiche. I'll let you ponder that one young people. Google it! LOL!

Old expressions...... "You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink"

"A horse apiece"

"Smoke a fag" from my fathers time, not mine.

another thing from my day that you can't find nowadays is "roll caps", "candy cigarettes", "Juice pops (the wax kind), "wax lips" "candy dippers" "penny candy"

or play these without offending/hurting anyone. "ARMY", "Cowboys and Indians", "Kick the Can" or my personal favorite "Red Rover!". Where else can you close line someone you don't like and not get in trouble!!! LOL.

Stat