IGNORED

07 chirp?

Guest rugeroid

Guest rugeroid

I am considering an 07 rstd. I owned an 05, and traded it for a roadliner. I love the roadliner for what it is, but miss the rstd, and will probably buy another one. My question is, are the new ones coming with the I basket to squelch the whine/chirp that is so common? I changed the basket on my 05 with fair results, but do not want to go thru the hassel over again on another one. My dealer was great, and took care of it no problem, but it is still a hassel. Its to cold now to test ride the 07, and a ride will tell the story. Just wondering what you all know about this. If the 07 bikes are still chirping, someone at Yamaha needs an AXX-KICKING!!!!

Guest rugeroid

Well, in spite of the wind, and cold, I rode the 07 today to find out about the whine level. It sounded good, about like my 05 AFTER the I basket had been installed, so I feel like it will be good. Its my feeling that if one is going to be a noisy bike, it will be from the very start, and not something that will develop over time. From 05 to this 07 the price has only gone up 3 hundred bucks. I wish I had kept the old one, and just bought the roadliner, cause now I will have to add the tach, pipes, and driver backrest I lost on the other one---Live and learn, I guess!!

Guest rugeroid

The noise we refer to is a whine, or chirpping sound at certain speeds. This is more pronounced on some machines, but all I have ridden, or heard have it to some degree. It is caused by insufficient backlash in the primary drive gears, namely the clutch basket. Dealers have installed different baskets with a letter designation that denotes its backlash. The letter I seems to have given the best results for most of us. The backlash is really not anything that could ever damage anything, or lead to a problem later--its just a sound that many find annoying. I would not let this affect your judgment on the purchase, however one test ride will tell you all you need to know. The bike is awsome in all respects, and I just purchased my second one today.

I am considering an 07 rstd. I owned an 05, and traded it for a roadliner. I love the roadliner for what it is, but miss the rstd, and will probably buy another one. My question is, are the new ones coming with the I basket to squelch the whine/chirp that is so common? I changed the basket on my 05 with fair results, but do not want to go thru the hassel over again on another one. My dealer was great, and took care of it no problem, but it is still a hassel. Its to cold now to test ride the 07, and a ride will tell the story. Just wondering what you all know about this. If the 07 bikes are still chirping, someone at Yamaha needs an AXX-KICKING!!!!

My 2006 RSTD was a murderous screaming ***** when I got her. With the windshield OFF and new BUB slip-ons installed, at 110 km/hr I could hear ONLY the scream and it was LOUD. After 6 months of lies, foot-dragging, and various other forms of harassmant, Star Yee at Yamaha of western Canada finally let my dealer have an "i" basket to install. That knocked out probably 90 percent of the noise, to a point where it was very liveable. Then I switched to Amsoil at about 13,000 km and the entire noise is completely gone. I hear nothing but pipes and valvetrain noise now, as it should be and was on my 84 Venture Royale and 85 VMax...

You are right that somebody at Yamaha should take an AXXKICKING. This whole thing never should have happened to even one bike, much less the huge numbers that Yamaha has shipped then lied, cheated and in general tried not to fix. They have obviously developed a corporate strategy and have all of the factory service reps primed to try to talk you and your dealer out of addressing it. One factory rep (Karine Beland) at Yamaha Canada even had the gall to say that "Noise is subjective. Some people even modify their motorcycles so that they will make more noise instead of less". This after I had carefully explained that I had at least 60,000 miles on earlier two seperate XVZ12 drivetrains, not to mention about 20 other bikes that included 11 Yamahas! Personally I never heard of anyone changing their bike to make the gear train louder..?? The worst is that Yamaha flat refused to admit that there was any real issue, and would not even show a hint of an apology that my gear train was so atrociously loud. They treated me as if I were a spoiled child that was trying to take advantage, and how could I be so unreasonable about NOTHING!

Anyhow, the scream is gone now and this is clearly the most enjoyable bike that I have ever owned. But, speaking only for myself, I will NEVER EVER buy a new Yamaha product again. The factory-sponsored campaign of denial, deception, and outright BS that I encountered over this has done it for me. I may own another Yamaha product but I won't buy it new.....and I'll danged sure give it a good running before it comes home with me.

Cheers,

Bob LeDuc

Calgary, AB

Better by the Harley, Bob! LOL

There isnt a better brand out there IMO They are all the same..dealer makes the difference. Suzuki was bad when I owned the LC but fortunetly no problems! My yammie dealer is great!

Salty

Hey Salty,

Too late! Already have obtained Jardine billet wheels for the RSTD. HD Tour-Pak and Radio Caddy batwing fairing are in transit. Gonna bring it up to full dresser trim.....

I probably should have bought the Venture but I didn't and if I try to sell my 1 year old 2006 RSTD I'll get scr*w*d (with no kiss) so am going to grow my own using the parts Robin and I choose...

I sure would try the Amsoil in your much quieter Venture that was also a screamer until you finally got the "I" basket. It absolutely 100 percent erased the much-diminished-but-still-there-scream, it's hard for me to believe and I rode it 340 kM on January 25th so the memory is pretty fresh!

Cheers,

Bob

Guest kiorana123

I had the splines done at 1000 mile service, and all is well. Grease was missing in action. Now only to sort out sound system, whistling like you wouldn't believe!!! Still dealer is great, Hutcjings, Yucca Valley from whom I did not buy the bike! I.:223:

What is amsoil??????

Hi Bob,

You can usually find Amsoil locally by looking under Amsoil in the white pages, many dealers sell it from their homes.

Or you can Google Amsoil, get to their home page, and order it there, they will ship it to you.

I have run it in air- and liquid-cooled bikes for many years with excellent results. When I have converted air-cooled XS650 and KZ1000 motors, every time I have had to lower the idle speed because there is so much less friction - even compared to Belray or Golden Spectro....!

Their website carries the test data etc. from various industry-standard tests. Personally I think it's the best lubricant going, but when it comes to oil, plugs, tires, and gasoline most people have very their own way of seeing things.....so I certainly don't enter the debate!

One thing with Amsoil, you shouldn't run it until everything is really well broken in. It's so slick, your rings and stuff won't seat properly. That's why I ran about 13,500 kM befor putting it in...

Cheers,

Bob LeDuc

Bob,

Just the short version on AMSOIL. It was the 1st of the synthetic oils that came out in about 1962 and basically forced the big petroleum companies to develope their own synthetics products to stay competitive in the market. If you are interested in seeing what their products are all about and why they are so good, read some of the articles at www.amsoil.com . Now it might be there may be a distributor close to you where you can find who is available by going to http://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/ and enter your zip code.

There you have it,

Rick

Well, I said I didn't have it, but right the other night on my way home for work all of a sudden I heard this whining,, I slowed down and I had the chirp. This was at about 550 miles.. At 600 I switched to a good synthetic oil, and now it is virtually undetectable...

And yes, I know, there is a whole other thread about whether to switch to synth at the first oil change or not...

The dreaded chirp is horrible on my RSMV. I'm going to go to a good synthetic at 2K miles and see if it helps. If it doesn't improve to the point where I can reasonably tolerate it, I'll raise holy hell with Momma Yama.

For what it's worth, and this is certainly a subject that evokes strong opinions - I think you need a minimum of 5000 miles break-in with regular oil before you switch to synthetic. This is to get everything seated correctly. Both my dealer and a local engine builder with a good reputation actually recommend 10,000 kM, or about 6250 miles....

Good luck with the chirp. Btw, I don't think it will improve much if it's really loud now. I'm betting you need a different clutch basket.....

Cheers,

Bob LeDuc

For what it's worth, and this is certainly a subject that evokes strong opinions - I think you need a minimum of 5000 miles break-in with regular oil before you switch to synthetic. This is to get everything seated correctly. Both my dealer and a local engine builder with a good reputation actually recommend 10,000 kM, or about 6250 miles....

Good luck with the chirp. Btw, I don't think it will improve much if it's really loud now. I'm betting you need a different clutch basket.....

Cheers,

Bob LeDuc

I had already mentioned there is a whole other thread on this.. But for what it is worth... I have raced ATVs, dirtbikes and run motorcycles at the drags, have always done my own wrenching, and had a master motorcycle mechanic licence back when I lived in Michigan. And I just plain disagree. Nuff Said.

It is because of the stright cut geears. Thats what I have been told.

Little Bob, you have it partly right from my understanding, that & clearances are too tight between the meshing gear teeth. Or put another way the teeth are meshing too deep, making it noisier than it should be.