IGNORED

Finally Let Me Down - Stator While on the Road

Well, I'm sitting in a Walmart in Cloquet, MN having my battery load tested. Hoping against hope that is all it is. But I don't think so.

Was riding the MN1000 long distance rally when I noticed the voltmeter started showing the battery was loosing charge - even at highway speed. I was not able to restart after stopping for gas. Had to use a jump box (I carry one during rallies).

Pretty sure it's the stator.

Is there anybody in the Duluth area that might have a place to store it for the night?

RR

Edited by RedRider

Depending on your distance and finances you should buy another battery. Keep it as a spare and when your dies switch it.

This is exactly the plan. Gotten about 150 miles and the battery voltage is still in the green.

RR

Once again, the Venture got me home. I was able to make it home last night while running dark most of the way. Pulled the fuses for the aux lights and the headlight; turned off all accessories with the exception of one GPS (needed it for receiving calls from support folks).

Interestingly enough, the charging system was able to keep up with the power requirements while running dark. I gambled and didn't spend the extra $100 for a backup battery.

This lends a ray of hope as I don't believe the stator is the problem. My understanding of the stator is it's a digital failure - it either works or it doesn't. They don't just fail part way. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This leaves me with the rectifier/regulator. Troubleshooting starts shortly.

Any input is appreciated as my strengths are in the mechanical side of these bikes.

RR

Stator can fail in stages. Partial charge can be possible. Research on the site. Seems that the multitude of articles on this subject.

I had mine go out in stages. When I opened it up the stator was burnt only on some sections.

I recommend the total upgrade. With as much as you ride and as many miles I would replace the Stator & Rectifier & make sure that the connector plugs are all good. I also had one wire in a plug that was corroded and made things not charge properly.

Just my two cents

To bad I did not know this yesterday while I was flying thru Fondy (Was in Appleton for a graduation) with my truck and had meters and stuff.............

The stator has a 3 phase output, it is common to loose one phase and have partial charging. the remaining 2 phases will try to carry the load but one of them will die soon and then you have nothing.

There is a step by step for diagnosing the charging system that I wrote up in the tech section. It will isolate it down to the bad part, I hate throwing money at a problem.

If you get real stuck let me know, I can probably talk you thru it, it is to hot for me to ride up there and survive. If it were 20° cooler I would have jumped on the bike already for a marshmallow butt run up to your place.

I do have a spare NIB stator and RR for my 88, I do not know if they are the same in a 2nd gen.

OK, here are the test results. I took a bunch of pictures and will put into another post.

Resistance test: All combos showed about 0.3 ohms.

Resistance to ground: All 3 showed some resistance - not open. This is bad.

Voltage phase-to-phase: 1-2: 20Vac at idle, increased to 80+Vac at higher RPM (don't have a tach); 1-3: same as 1-2; 2-3: about 3Vac at idle and stays the same at high RPM.

I think we found a bad stator. All connectors look good at the R/R. Will replace both stator and R/R as soon as I can get them in.

RR

Yup looks like one leg shorted to ground.

Yes you do need the paper gasket when you put it back together, you can NOT use RTV gasket.

I always use the OEM gaskets. Overall, they are inexpensive relative to the time involved. Besides, it gives me something to purchase from the local dealer (they give me a discount since I am their Venture 'expert' when they have one in the shop and are stumped - new mechanics).

RR

Big brown truck arrived yesterday delivering my new stator, R/R, and a set of JIS screwdrivers (including 2 impact versions).

Picked up the gaskets from the dealer Wednesday (along with new rear brake pads).

Should be back on the road this weekend.

:banana:

RR

Stator and R/R installed and working!! Was able to run all the lights (including the incandescent running lamps that I never use) and it was able to charge even at idle. :happy65: Doesn't appear to be any oil leaks.

I took pictures of the procedure and will write up a tech article soon.

The stator side of the bike is really clean too. Polished everything up while it was off the bike or exposed. Replaced the rear pads while it was on the lift.

Will need to clean up the throttle side tomorrow and get it out of the shop.

RR