IGNORED

Starting trouble

Here's the scenario;

300 mile ride last Saturday no problems, bike started and ran fine. Bike sat from Saturday evening till this morning. Rolled it out of the garage, hit the start button and 2 clicks, lights on dash dim when start button is pushed. I jumped the bike and it started right up and I made it to work. Just to be sure, I charged the battery while at work. Leave work bike starts up good, while on my way I notice the radio is turning on & off, I made it home and put side stand down and the bike died, ( NO it wasn't in gear) would not start, the relay / solenoid clicked and the lights went dim. Would not start even with a jump, just clicks and dimming dash lights.

The battery load tests as good. Took the battery out of the trike and tried it too, same result as above so I'm guessing it's not a battery issue. My ignition switch has been flaky for a long time. Is it possible the ignition switch is causing this? When I would play with the switch before this problem cropped up it would cut the radio out and with the handle bar at full lock against the key it would kill the bike.

I have an Ignition bypass hooked up and still no start.

Where should I start trouble shooting this? Anyone have the part number and a seller suggestion for a new ignition switch? The bike is a 2001 RSV.

Edited by ragtop69gs

Start by cleaning all the battery terminals, at both ends of each wire.

Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running at above 2000 RPM.

New stator last year. My battery is at 13V when it clicks and dims the dash lights. Load tests OK.

WOW those have come down by $100 since I looked last time. I had a similar issue a few years back. Made a trip over 3500 miles from Canada home to Fla. A day or so later went to start bike and got click clunk, then nothing. Main fuse was corroded, the connector block right by that and cleaned the connectors at the battery, solenoid and grounds. All good after that. There is a few write ups around about cleaning your switch which is worth the effort. If that bombs and the $160+ is to pricey, shoot me a note. I make the by pass relays for the RSV and have a few guys running a complete switch by pass thru an automotive type switch if your game to fabricate a little.

WOW those have come down by $100 since I looked last time. I had a similar issue a few years back. Made a trip over 3500 miles from Canada home to Fla. A day or so later went to start bike and got click clunk, then nothing. Main fuse was corroded, the connector block right by that and cleaned the connectors at the battery, solenoid and grounds. All good after that. There is a few write ups around about cleaning your switch which is worth the effort. If that bombs and the $160+ is to pricey, shoot me a note. I make the by pass relays for the RSV and have a few guys running a complete switch by pass thru an automotive type switch if your game to fabricate a little.

I'd be interested to see what you have to offer. Thanks

Pulled the battery box and cleaned the main fuse/ start solenoid, it was all pretty clean as I did that 2 years ago. I did find 1 broken wire for my trailer light harness so I fixed that. What I found that was causing my no start was the main ground to the engine from the negative battery terminal was loose where it bolts to the engine :doh: Cleaned and tightened that and now it starts perfect like it always does :thumbsup2:

On the positive side I now have all the plugs and connections cleaned and greased. :big-grin-emoticon: Guess it's time to ride :15_8_211[1]: