IGNORED

1st Gen LED Headlight

OK, Did you all change your lens when you went LED?

I tried LED H4 lamps and got all spill and no throw. It was very bright out to about 15 feet but did not project down the road at all. The ditch, on coming lane and the tree tops were very well lit though.

OK, Did you all change your lens when you went LED?

I tried LED H4 lamps and got all spill and no throw. It was very bright out to about 15 feet but did not project down the road at all. The ditch, on coming lane and the tree tops were very well lit though.

No. The problem with LED bulbs is most of them don't have the proper light cut off for the low beam. And the high beam is left to go wherever the bike lens throws it. These bulbs should not be DOT approved for auto use. And shouldn't be used by us either. I put in the Broview. It was DOT approved. The light cut off is flat and very wide on low beam. It's reach is better than the halogen that came stock with bikes as well. High beam is a projector like pattern that really goes down the road. I ordered 2 and put one in my 89 and one in my 05 RSV. Both look great at night.

I understand from Gary Hedburg, a new member here who lives nearby, that he's going with the OPT7 FluxBeam bulb. It looks like it throws the proper light pattern. When he get's his in, hopefully he'll let us know how it goes...

No. The problem with LED bulbs is most of them don't have the proper light cut off for the low beam. And the high beam is left to go wherever the bike lens throws it.
The biggest problem with LED's compared to OEM/DOT is they put the centre of the light in the wrong position. There is a fairly precise focal area that reflects the light forward. Any light that is not in that area will get sent out who knows where. The Broviews are the only LED that I have found to work properly and that is most likely because they were designed to pass DOT specs. Getting a DOT designation is probably the best thing to look for when changing over to LED's.

The biggest problem with LED's compared to OEM/DOT is they put the centre of the light in the wrong position. There is a fairly precise focal area that reflects the light forward. Any light that is not in that area will get sent out who knows where. The Broviews are the only LED that I have found to work properly and that is most likely because they were designed to pass DOT specs. Getting a DOT designation is probably the best thing to look for when changing over to LED's.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that: