IGNORED

Time for tires

Those lists that show tire options for the Venture are outdated with regard to Shinko Tires. The lists says to use a Shinko 230 series. The new tire to use is a Shinko 777 series. Heavier Duty, higher load range, more mileage tire.

See here:

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/777

then hit the SIZES AND SPEC tab to see all available sizes and mucho more information

I knew I was sick but didn't know how sick. I'm the type person who just keeps going. Felt bad all week but stayed on the road. Got home Friday and Friday afternoon had two stairlift sales calls. Made the first call, got the sale, and had about 3 hours before the next one. Decided to stop by the Doctor's office and get checked out. Last thing I remember, I was sitting in the waiting room. Next thing I know, I'm on the floor, have an IV, EKG machine, oxygen and etc. Apparently I passed out. Got an ambulance ride to the emergency room followed by a lot of tests and turns out, very bad case of the flu. A lot of commotion for that huh?

Doctor wanted to admit me but finally agreed that I could go home if I promised to stay in bed for a few days. So, I crossed my fingers and agreed. Thing is, I had a stairlift to install first thing Saturday morning. Told the customer that I was sick but would do it if they promised to stay far away from where I was working. They really needed it installed because their elderly father was coming home from rehab on Sunday or Monday. So, got the lift installed and then back home around 1:00. Been in bed ever since.

Hope ya feel better. The Wardn and I stayed in more this year to avoid all the "bugs" flying around out there. So far so good. Haven't had anything bad. Getting out & about gives ya a chance ta catch all them things!!! Did I mention us retired folk don't do that???:innocent-emoticon:

Hope ya Feel better!!:backinmyday:

I picked up this bug sometime last weekend. I had to work a trade show in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Got there on Wednesday the 15th and made it home around 1:00 Sunday morning the 19th. Our rep in Florida worked the show with me and she was coughing and sneezing all weekend but didn't appear to have the flue so when this all started, I figured I had just picked up her cold. Feeling just a little better this morning so hopefully will be close to 100% soon. I sure hope so. I honestly don't have time to be sick.

I hope you feel much better now Freebird!

Do you guys get flu shots? The last one I got was about 25 years ago and about 3 weeks later I got the flu so bad I was afraid I was going to live! It must have worked though because I haven't had the flu since then. The medical profession will tell you that there is no chance that the shot will give you the flu. I flag that as BS!

Well, I went with the Elite 3. Never used them before but willing to give them a try. Would have gone with the Michelin Commanders but I already have and like the leveling links and have not heard good things about mixing the leveling links with the smaller front tire.

They should be here on Thursday but I won't be home by then anyway and don't know when I will get around to installing them. May take them to the shop and have them mounted and balanced. I've just lost my desire to do it myself. We'll see.

Interesting comment about the 130 size Commanders and the levelling links Don. Would be interested in knowing what the issue is? Several on here, myself included, have the 130 and while I don't know if the others have the links, I do and there is nothing negative I've noticed about the handling or rideability. The 130 has changed the feel of the bike, particularly at low speeds and riding over cracks and tar snakes at higher speeds that I doubt I would ever go back to the 150. Mind you I'm not an aggressive rider but for my style, they're the perfect fit. Just my nickel's worth. Doug

I have no experience with the 130 tire with or without the links. Other people here have reported that the 130 tire in conjunction with the leveling links has made the steering too sensitive and the handling a little squirrely. I've always had the leveling links on my RSVs and that alone has resulted in the bike handling to my satisfaction so I've just never felt the need to try the narrower tire.

• 1 month later...

Was a good read on the tires and what everyone uses and their thoughts. Bought my 06 RSV in July 15 and it still had stock Dunlop's on it, so I replaced the rear with the same. Was not happy when I took a trip to Grand Canyon from Houston and got back 4000 miles later and had to replace the rear tire all ready. Found out that is what they get. So I asked around and got the Commander II since I do a lot of long trips. That one lasted 15,000 miles. A thousand or two more than I should of gone on that tire as the belts were beginning to show, but none the less happy with the tires handling and wear. Within that 15,000 miles I had noticed the front would start shaking a lot when I took a hand off the bars. Come to find out it was because the tire was worn and needed to be replaced. So I went with the Commander II. The good thing was that the shaking stopped and it was nothing but the tire. But now that same front tire has 25,000 miles on it and still has great tread but the steering starts to wobble at low speeds when you take a hand off the bars. It also has a shake at low speed in the turn.

So my first question is, this is a Commander II 130/90 B, did something go wrong with the tire such as belts or balance, or is it just because of how many miles it has on it?

My second question is, I have read and would like to try the Elite 3's. I have seen what size to get for back. What size did you get for the front? All I see is a 150/80. How much difference is there going from a 90 to an 80? Would this have an adverse affect on the leveling links?

Third and final question is about the leveling links. I am interested in them and would like to try them. Where do I get them? I have looked on Diamond R Accessories page and don't see them.

Any and all input is really appreciated. There are so many posts here about everything and they go way back, so it can be a little overwhelming for someone that doesn't frequent here as much as they probably should. I am hoping to meet some of you at the Rally in June. Thx.

Here are my answers. Others may have different opinions.

So my first question is, this is a Commander II 130/90 B, did something go wrong with the tire such as belts or balance, or is it just because of how many miles it has on it?

I think that 25,000 miles is pretty good, even for a front tire. It could be just the tire worn out causing it to shake. Run your hand along the edge of the tread and see if you feel any cupping. The other possibility is that the steering head bearings need tightened and probably greased.

My second question is, I have read and would like to try the Elite 3's. I have seen what size to get for back. What size did you get for the front? All I see is a 150/80. How much difference is there going from a 90 to an 80? Would this have an adverse affect on the leveling links?

150/80 is the correct tire size for the front. Not sure where you are coming up with the 150/90 number.

Third and final question is about the leveling links. I am interested in them and would like to try them. Where do I get them? I have looked on Diamond R Accessories page and don't see them.

You might check with member Carbon_One here on the forum. I got my last set from him. I tagged him in this post so hopefully he will reply.

150/80 is the correct tire size for the front. Not sure where you are coming up with the 150/90 number.

My mistake. I assumed that since the Commander II I had on the front was a 90 that the original Dunlop was also. Now I see that 150's come as 80's and 130's come as 90's. Thx for the response.