IGNORED

Power Strip Fuse

GolfVenture

Here's a start for you Brian, manufacturer Bel, model 5TTP 8-R should fill the bill...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bel/5TTP-8-R/?qs=MvPYbBWWJyv7dEYU8B0ojg%3d%3d

Have you considered piggybacking a fuse using S clips, or a fuse holder with wire leads?? There are lots of 8A 125 volt slow blow fuses out there, just seems to be limited ones in pigtail or axial lead types. I do see 250-volt versions, so unless you are limiting power distribution (Watts), 8 amps is 8 amps whether the fuse can tolerate 125 volts or 250 volts...

Brian, I didn't mean you should buy from that link, I was just providing you with a part number and manufacturer to aid in your search! Those end caps are welded on, you aren't going to get them off with just heat.

In a pinch you can try to solder pigtails onto the ends of a normal 8 amp slow blow fuse, just make sure you do not unsolder them when you solder the leads onto the board...

Dunno that I'd agree that it's a slow blow. They usually have a spring evident. I don't know that they'd want a slow blow on a power strip anyway.

Found this pretty quick on e-bay, looks like it ought to work.

5A 250v

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/S28AAOxyhoBSUFQf/s-l500.jpghttp://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-8Amp-8A-250V-AXIAL-GLASS-Fuses-Fast-Blow-8a-F8a-8-amp-250v-8-Amp/152176116008?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D7b64e70279e04ac7ab8e025ca57912a4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D152165277007

I googled "8 amp pigtail fuse" and a bunch came up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232142707289?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

was one of them. I also saw 10 amp fuses, and for a powerstrip that'd be fine also.

Frank D.

I just saw that you wanted a Slow-Blow fuse, so try these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-8-amp-Ceramic-Pigtail-Slow-blow-fuse-120V-To-250V-5mmx20mm-/201656632795?hash=item2ef3ac05db:g:vmAAAOSw5ZBWHHJB

Edited by frankd

I googled "8 amp pigtail fuse" and a bunch came up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/232142707289?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

was one of them. I also saw 10 amp fuses, and for a powerstrip that'd be fine also.

Frank D.

I just saw that you wanted a Slow-Blow fuse, so try these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-8-amp-Ceramic-Pigtail-Slow-blow-fuse-120V-To-250V-5mmx20mm-/201656632795?hash=item2ef3ac05db:g:vmAAAOSw5ZBWHHJB

Well first of all, thank you all for your help. I must not have been using the correct search words.

That's evidence of my simplistic knowledge of fuses.

I initially did not know if it was a Fast or Slow blowing fuse.

Someone said Slow.

Then someone else said on a power strip one would want a Fast.

I never heard of a Fast or Slow until I posted this.

I thought all Fuses Blew Fast.

I think I'm going with "Fast" blowing fuse, unless convinced otherwise.

2nd the old fuse says 8A 125 Volts.

Then a couple of you said 125 or 250 it does not make a difference.

The two good links has 8A 250 Volts.

Why should I not be concerned if 125 or 250 volts?

Please let me know if an 8A 250 volt fuse is a good replacement, when the old fuse indicates an 8A 125 volt fuse?

I could probably buy a new power strip for a few $s more than the cost of the fuse and shipping.

I find fixing simple things kind of fun to do.

With fuses the voltage is the maximum voltage that you can use the fuse for. so your 125V fuse gould be used only for up to 125V, the 250 will just fine at 125 because that is well below the MAX rating of 250.

Where you have to watch out is if you get a fuse at most auto shops / stores. they are usually rated at 32V, these should NOT be used in a 120V piece of equipment.

With fuses the voltage is the maximum voltage that you can use the fuse for. so your 125V fuse gould be used only for up to 125V, the 250 will just fine at 125 because that is well below the MAX rating of 250.

Where you have to watch out is if you get a fuse at most auto shops / stores. they are usually rated at 32V, these should NOT be used in a 120V piece of equipment.

OK, 8A 250 volts it is then.

Thanks to all.

You guys are the best...

OK if you look at the internals of your original fuse it is one of the two configurations for a slow blow fuse. One is a filament looking winding which is what you showed. the other kind looks like a two part fuse with one side of the fuse looking kind of like a metal box and the other side like a normal wire. The thermal part is at the center. A fast blow fuse is just a straight piece of wire, the more the current rating, the thicker the wire.

On a power strip, it is preferred to use a slow blow fuse because most devices plugged into them will have an instantaneous surge of current when whatever is plugged into it is first turned on. If there was some sort of issue with the device the higher current would continue beyond the initial surge and blow the fuse. If you used a fast acting fuse then every time you turned on something the fuse could blow instantaneously...

Now, I have to ask, what is so special about this strip?? The replacement cost may be less than the repair cost, especially when you consider time is money as well...

OK if you look at the internals of your original fuse it is one of the two configurations for a slow blow fuse. One is a filament looking winding which is what you showed. the other kind looks like a two part fuse with one side of the fuse looking kind of like a metal box and the other side like a normal wire. The thermal part is at the center. A fast blow fuse is just a straight piece of wire, the more the current rating, the thicker the wire.

On a power strip, it is preferred to use a slow blow fuse because most devices plugged into them will have an instantaneous surge of current when whatever is plugged into it is first turned on. If there was some sort of issue with the device the higher current would continue beyond the initial surge and blow the fuse. If you used a fast acting fuse then every time you turned on something the fuse could blow instantaneously...

Now, I have to ask, what is so special about this strip?? The replacement cost may be less than the repair cost, especially when you consider time is money as well...

ok, thee a slow blowing fuse it is.

Nothing special about my power strip.

I just like to fix it.

It will cost just about the same cost.

thanks again.