IGNORED

Bonehead move time....Clutch MC

Thanks to @KIC, I had no problems bleeding the clutch system. Adding new fluid and flushed out the old. Really easy....just takes time. I even cleaned out the master cylinder too!

Then I really got smart....decided to check the teeny hole in the MC. Hmmm...plugged up. No squirts or anything coming up when handle squeezed. So took out my trusty high "E" string and pushed it through the hole....got it!

Then I got really, really smart. :8: With the wire still in the teeny hole...I reached up and grabbed the clutch handle and pulled. Sigh. :doh:

Now E string is stuck in cylinder and cylinder will not release. :depressed:

Do not ask me why I did that.....cause this kid is clueless....:bang head:

Guess now I have to take the MC apart....sigh.

Word to the wise...don't do this at home.....it's dumb!

Well, you didn't tell us which bike.

Usually it's easier to remove the switch than to chase the wire out and disconnect it. Yamaha generally places a hole in the bottom of the perch (below and ahead of the switch) where you can push a punch in to release the tab and pop the switch out.

Update:

Sorry Carl.....89 VR Mk2

The switch comes out easy...if you pay attention to detail. Which I didn't. A special tool probably would help but basically, depress two solid tabs...or better yet...squeeze the alternative sides of the plastic and it pulls apart. I went slow so when the spring popped out, I caught it before it took off to parts unknown. While apart, I cleaned the switch...dirty!

The master Cylinder needed to come apart. I pushed it apart from clutch end as I simply couldn't get my clip tool in to undo the clip holding everything together. Dirty mess inside!

Cleaned everything with brake cleaner, then took out my gun cleaning kit and used the 2nd to largest swab and tools to clean the bore.

Going back together...used the parts diagram and only made one mistake. The tiny shaft that is between the clutch handle and the piston was reversed. A quick look at the diagram and pulled handle off and swapped the little push rod ends. Back together.

Has a slight leak from handle side but it stopped after I got some pressure in the system. I must assume the seal didn't want to work until the air got out. BTW, here the vacuum pump worked wonders to get the air out. But pumping the handle and bleeding the old fashioned way was darn fast once we got some firmness to the handle.

Clutch works again. Another lesson learned about these bikes. They really aren't hard to work on, once you figure out the engineers' humor. Much like British sports cars.....except the British have a slightly off-center way of designing cars! The Japanese are logical in their own way...

Yay!

Sorry about no pictures, but I'm not touching my phone or my SLR camera with brake fluid on my fingers!

Edited by videoarizona
no pics excuse!