IGNORED

83 venture vs royal

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I redid my forks inclusing bushings and use synthetic import PS fluid from Valvoline, its a trick I learned from the Vmax side of the world and works great.
Have you ridden your VR much since putting in the PS fluid? I'm interested in exploring alternatives to fork oil because it is excessively expensive for what it is. I'm currently using 32 weight hydraulic oil which is inexpensive and can be found pretty much everywhere. Seems to have worked well enough over the winter although it is a bit on the firm side. Will be interesting to see if it lightens up in the heat of summer.

Have you ridden your VR much since putting in the PS fluid? I'm interested in exploring alternatives to fork oil because it is excessively expensive for what it is. I'm currently using 32 weight hydraulic oil which is inexpensive and can be found pretty much everywhere. Seems to have worked well enough over the winter although it is a bit on the firm side. Will be interesting to see if it lightens up in the heat of summer.

I have not ridden the VR at all since fork rebuild, I did my Vmax (also a deceptively heavy turd) with the Synthetic Import PS and I really like it. I installed progressives at the same time too and it transformed ride quality and handling. It went from feeling like a Heritage Springer to a modern competent road bike.

USE ONLY OEM SEALS/FORK PARTS!!!!

I learned oil thing from Morley and others. I called him to clarify and the main points are it must be Synthetic, must be Import, must be ATF or PS fluid. From my own research it ranges from 7.5 - 10 wt so a little lighter than some fork oils. I was a little worried about bottoming out or it being to soft but the progressives have never bottomed out. Again this is on my Vmax. I like the ride so much that I did the same on the Venture and will be testing it out this week. I personally like a ride bordering on softer vs. Stiff/harsh for road going bikes, as long as its not mushy but I have never known Progressives to be mushy. I weigh 205-215 depending on my gluttony levels that month. The Synthetic is supposed to be really easy on the seals and last quite a lontime. I figure if I dont like it I can change it but when I hold the brake and rock the bike back/forth it feels really nice, good damping, no real bounce. Im not sure how lighter oil would work with tired OEM springs, esp for heavier riders but it sure seems to complement upgraded springs well.

I have made LOTS of changes to my Venture since the last ride. New Elite3s, COPs, Ignitek TCI/MAP setup, All Balls neck bearings, R6 calipers/braided lines, delink brakes, carb float levels set, cleaned out and dialed/synched, iridium plugs, Fiamm horns, throttle cable cleaned/lubed, full fork rebuild with OEM seals/bushings/progressives and synthetic import PS fluid. Yea, im more than anxious to take her out! There are no words to capture the anticipation.

I learned oil thing from Morley and others. I called him to clarify and the main points are it must be Synthetic, must be Import, must be ATF or PS fluid. From my own research it ranges from 7.5 - 10 wt so a little lighter than some fork oils.
It will be interesting to see how the lighter oil handles summer temps. I've been running the 32 wt all winter but my commute is short and the bike just barely gets warmed up. Will see how it works in the summer and on a longer trip although it rarely gets very hot here, 80F is about the highest.

Did your research come up with any difference between ATF and PS fluid? When I was looking around on it I got the impression ATF was better than PS but could find no firm evidence.

It will be interesting to see how the lighter oil handles summer temps. I've been running the 32 wt all winter but my commute is short and the bike just barely gets warmed up. Will see how it works in the summer and on a longer trip although it rarely gets very hot here, 80F is about the highest.

Did your research come up with any difference between ATF and PS fluid? When I was looking around on it I got the impression ATF was better than PS but could find no firm evidence.

Nope, I was told either would work as long as synthetic and Import, I get that PS or ATF arr a hydraulic oil rather than a lube oil but I lack the knowledge to explain the difference in oil properties. I've never heard a difference or preference for either ATF or PS.

I cant recall where I saw it but I thought normal wt fork oil for the Venture was 15-20 wt. Which would be consistent with most bikes I've changed fork oil on. I know that with other models I have worked with, including Vmax, the original fork springs lax up quite a bit and heavier oil can compensate to a degree. Heavier oil may be needed to get the mushyness and bottoming out under control. With the use of Progressives over tired OEM springs one should be able to use lighter oil and keep a composed ride. The Vmax is just over 600 lbs so no light weight, Im just over 200 lbs and rough roads and panick stops dont even begin to bottom out or unhinge her, even 2-up. Im not yet sure how the anti-dives will effect this but I see that a few folks here have disabled the anti-dives saying that with Progressives they are no longer necessary. Mine are still intact for now.

It can approach 100 here but rarely gets hotter than that and the lighter oil in Maxine (Vmax) behaved like a champ with Progressives. I will put up a report next week on fork behavior as soon as I ride. Im expecting great things. I tend to tour off the beaten path and its not unusual to hit poor quality roads so I wanted to avoid heavy oils as much as possible.

I forgot to add that on the vmax with Progressives and synthetic import PS fluid fork air pressure is not necessary or recomended by Progressive. Im not yet sure how that will go with the Venture but the Class system is still functional so we'll see if I need to add any air.

Edited by CaseyJ955

Nope, I was told either would work as long as synthetic and Import, I get that PS or ATF arr a hydraulic oil rather than a lube oil but I lack the knowledge to explain the difference in oil properties. I've never heard a difference or preference for either ATF or PS.

I cant recall where I saw it but I thought normal wt fork oil for the Venture was 15-20 wt.

Yes, PS and ATF are hydraulic oils. The unfortunate thing is there is no standard for determining weight/viscosity so about the only thing that can be done is to read the MSD for each oil.

According to the manual the VR's take 10wt fork oil.

Yes, PS and ATF are hydraulic oils. The unfortunate thing is there is no standard for determining weight/viscosity so about the only thing that can be done is to read the MSD for each oil.

According to the manual the VR's take 10wt fork oil.

That is exactly what I did. Unfortunately it does have that small range. As it was explained to me its easier on the fork seals and has longer service life. I figured its well worth a shot, I have to fess up to not always doing fork oil every 2 years so increasing service interval has value to me. I only tried it because someone with overwhelming credibility and experience endorsed it on the max and my experience there has been great. The combination of this oil and progressives worked so well on the max that I couldnt wait to try it on the Venture.

PS/ATF is close to the recommended wt but im guessing as Venture factory springs wear, viscosity can be increased to compensate as happens on so many other models, at least to some.degree. Im not sure how well even slightly lighter oil would work on worn aged stock forks and springs.

PS/ATF is close to the recommended wt but im guessing as Venture factory springs wear, viscosity can be increased to compensate as happens on so many other models, at least to some.degree. Im not sure how well even slightly lighter oil would work on worn aged stock forks and springs.
I decided to start out with the higher weight oil just because during long, loaded rides or higher temps there is the likelihood of the oil heat up and thinning out.

I have no idea what springs are in my 89. They look like OEM but I have been riding with no air pressure in the front and even before going to the 30wt hydraulic oil they were not bottoming out or having excessive dive. Will see what the summer brings to light. I found a container of 10wt fork oil in my shop so I'll try that in a couple of years. Then perhaps try the ATF/PS oil.

As a side note, I put 20wt fork oil in my Virago a few years ago and it feels a little firmer than the VR does.

I have an extra set of previously enjoyed Progressives a guy could have for little more than shipping. In my experience with other models there is only so much one can do with OEM springs, especially tired ones. I hope mine will soak up bumps like a CR250, but I would settle for a KX500. Really I need it to be sure footed in the twisties so I can scrub off the chicken strips. Im totally in denial about the Venture not being a modern sport tourer.

Ill make make sure I post a full review of the oil and progressives in the MKI. I do like a soft ride as long as the bike remains compliant and competent. Counting the days:beer:

I guess we did jack this one . You police hijacking and Ill sort anyone that says " I seen", "irregardless" or "these ones".:rotf:
While you are at it, don't ignore there instead of their, too instead of to, to instead of too, loose instead of lose.

There are more but I don't want to overload you. :rotfl: :detective: :ignore:

• 2 weeks later...
so the progressive springs i bought from skydoc, the top hat washer dose not fit. any advice?

Did the package come with some flat washers in about the same diameter? I did mine last fall so trying to remember. I remember the shouldered washers that just dont fit back into the ID of the Progressive springs, IIRC there is a baggie with a couple flat washers in the box with the springs, I think I used those instead. I remember searching and not finding answers so I rolled with it.

Did the package come with some flat washers in about the same diameter? I did mine last fall so trying to remember. I remember the shouldered washers that just dont fit back into the ID of the Progressive springs, IIRC there is a baggie with a couple flat washers in the box with the springs, I think I used those instead. I remember searching and not finding answers so I rolled with it.

no flat washers came with it

• 2 weeks later...
How much oil do y'all put in for mkll forks? Best I could find is 300ml

My 89 manual says 409 cm3 which is the same as ml or 13.8 ounces with a level of 6.8". But, if you installed Progressive springs it should be less.

My 89 manual says 409 cm3 which is the same as ml or 13.8 ounces with a level of 6.8". But, if you installed Progressive springs it should be less.
I'm at work right now so I looked at an online manual that I found, but did not find the 6.8" height level mentioned. The reason I ask is that I have been setting the oil level to 5.5" with the fork collapsed and no spring installed. Kinda wondering if I have been doing wrong.