IGNORED

Seeking clutch opinions

Patmac6075

Going to do a clutch rebuild over the winter and I'm trying decide between stock Yamaha friction plates, EBC plates, or Barnett plates....whoever I get the friction plates from, that's who I'll get the steels from as well (someone correct me....there shouldn't be too much difference between the steels?). I'll also need some help on which brand of springs are preferred and why.

Just as an FYI, I don't ride like a madman (occasionally I'll get "on it") and the majority of my riding is back-roads and highways....one up, no trailer.

I'm assuming I still have the stock clutch from Yamaha and I like the way it feels....my issue is, if I get on it....right around redline in 4th gear it'll "judder" just a bit....not horrible, but you can feel it. Absolutely no issue if I'm riding like an adult.

So help me out...give your opinion Stock Yamaha - EBC - or Barnett - or what about a mix and match? Barnett friction, EBC steels, and stock Yamaha spring?

One last thing...I did a complete hydraulic rebuild last winter (Master - Stainless Hoses - and Slave)

'84 XVZ12 Venture Royale

:icon_lurker:

I do not think there is a significant difference between brands of clutch plates on our bikes. Some members here have gone over 200K miles with the original clutch. Our clutch is designed to hold a LOT more torque than we are making.

The one weakness in our clutch is the springs. As long as you upgrade to stronger springs any plate you chose will be fine.

I'd like to add that you likely do not need the steels. Unless you tear them up slipping the clutch they usually don't require replacement.

Unless you've absolutely got to turn it around in a couple hours I suggest you pull it apart and measure everything. There is a decent chance you only need springs (replace them even if they measure good).